CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 7, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #6,737 of 31,834
What cables are you using for the Z5000?
One is a 6$ silver plated cable impossible to find right now....and for good reason because QC was horrifious.
The other one that look thicker is from banned seller, its good but I need to take off the ear hook focking stuffs, its 22$ (im not sure its a good deal) and its call:
''Upgrade Silver Plated Cable,14 Core Detach Cable For Shure"

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #6,738 of 31,834
When did you order your 2nd pair of z5000s?

I was told by hot fi on January 22nd that the "new version" of the z5000 would be finished in 10 days, so you would have had to order after Feburary 1st in order to get it
ff439a1d430369624174149a3485d41a

Seller kind of tell me its new version and I will be the first to have it but now I'm unsure....once he will have answer my question I will confirm.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #6,741 of 31,834
Feb 7, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #6,742 of 31,834
Can anyone please tell me the outside diameter of the Zhiyin Z5000 housing in millimeters?

Also, the diameter of the nozzle.

Thanks so much!
zhiyin.jpg

As for the diameter of the outer shell, I don't have callipers, but using a ruler it comes out to be about 13mm

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #6,743 of 31,834

As for the diameter of the outer shell, I don't have callipers, but using a ruler it comes out to be about 13mm

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I needed.

Man that QT5 nozzle is gigantic - whose ears would that even fit once you add a tip??

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #6,744 of 31,834
okay, listened to z5000 for few hours last night.. and it's kinda heavy i must say, as in physically heavy. My ears felt a little sore. I'm having some issues getting the earphones stay inside my ear. How are you guys wearing it? over the ear? my mmcx cable is with the memory cable, didn't quite like it. tried a few tips (starline kz, spinfit), but the tip that came with it seemed to work best for me.

Give these a try:
  1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pro...r-Cannice-Y3-wireless-In-Ear/32821723844.html
  2. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...2-TK13-SHOOKWAVE-III-DQSM-LZ/32709320234.html
  3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pa...-Ear-Hook-For-Sports-Running/32820759455.html

The nice thing about the wings is that they work great for wearing barrel style IEMs up or down, because they add kung fu grip to the IEM! They take the weight of the IEM off of your canal, eliminating soreness.

They just stretch over the IEM housing. The OD of the Z5000 is ~13mm, so all of the wings I linked should fit fine. They are silicone, and thus can be stretched quite a bit so no worries. Keep in mind that they are universal, so YMMV.

The 1st link includes 3 different sizes of "wing", so you'll definitely be able to find a good fit with that option.

The 2nd link has a pretty long "wing". I haven't had any issues with the fit, but if they're too long for you, they can be trimmed shorter and shaped as needed with scissors (they all can).

They're universal, and I've used the ones with the smaller ID holes on a few "barrel" style IEMs (KZ ED-series and others). Since they are stretch fit, they end up gripping pretty snugly (think of them like a rubber band stretched over the IEM barrel). I've never had issues with the wings falling off of IEMs once they are installed.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #6,745 of 31,834

Man that QT5 nozzle is gigantic - whose ears would that even fit once you add a tip??
man-cupping-hand-over-big-ear-picture-id886837-001

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #6,746 of 31,834

I think cutting the plastic tube inside generic foam tips and just covering the nozzle with the remaining foam might work perfectly. Just a wild guess and the first thing I would try since 99.99% of tips would be useless for this kind of nozzle.
Keep in mind that there was quite a controversy about QT5 and how it doesn't sound nearly as good as some reviews point out, Z5000 is probably a better of the two not even taking price into account.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #6,747 of 31,834
I think cutting the plastic tube inside generic foam tips and just covering the nozzle with the remaining foam might work perfectly. Just a wild guess and the first thing I would try since 99.99% of tips would be useless for this kind of nozzle.
Keep in mind that there was quite a controversy about QT5 and how it doesn't sound nearly as good as some reviews point out, Z5000 is probably a better of the two not even taking price into account.

True. You could also use the coreless "marshmallow" gel foam tips (assuming they don't split while installing):

marshmallow foam tips.png

Regardless, that's a still a huge nozzle that won't fit a lot of people.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #6,748 of 31,834
hey guys, can you guys share how to take off the memory wire in my kz mmcx cable? prefer to let the cable down rather than over the ear.. anyone?

oh btw, my EDR2 just arrived. They sounded good to me. The price is ridiculous for the performance i'm getting. definitely a keeper!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #6,749 of 31,834
hey guys, can you guys share how to take off the memory wire in my kz mmcx cable? prefer to let the cable down rather than over the ear.. anyone?

oh btw, my EDR2 just arrived. They sounded good to me. The price is ridiculous for the performance i'm getting. definitely a keeper!

That's really unfortunate friend.

To remove the wire you don't need a knife at all (which as you found, strongly risks damage to the conducting wire itself).

You simply dig at the very end of the memory wire with your fingernail (which will expose it through the thin heat shrink tubing they used to attach the memory wire), and then you "peel" the memory wires back like you are peeling a string cheese stick snack:

Then at the IEM end of the memory wire, sometimes you can pull the memory wire out, and other times you can't (which if you cant you just move it around in many directions to weaken it and it just snaps off).

As far as repairing your cut wire, since the insulation is the only thing cut (and not the copper conducting wire strands), I would just paint it with a few coats of "liquid electrical tape". You can purchase this at most "big box" hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes) in the electrical section, or on Amazon/ebay. It's a flexible rubberized coating, that will be far superior to trying to wrap it with tape (it will look better too).

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #6,750 of 31,834

Users who are viewing this thread

Back