CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 14, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #6,946 of 31,834
… As far as the discs, it depends on which ones you use. I use fiberglass reinforced discs. They produce a fraction of the dust, and last 10xs longer than the cheapo non-reinforced discs (which produce a ton of duct and break apart if you breathe on them wrong).

If those are like the ones I use they have that nice push/pull thing on a specific mandrel that simplifies changing discs, no screwdriver necessary.

Noodle cables...blech.
Makes me think of those DirectTV commercials. And just like those where I talk back to the TV I say I like my cable service, well other than price but they all overcharge IMHO. I actually like the IEMs I have with flat cables.

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #6,949 of 31,834
I'm assuming you're looking for foamie alternatives? I know that for me foamies are much more comfortable but almost never give me a decent seal so I mostly use silicone tips. I use the inexpensive KZ Whirlwind tips. Under $2 for 6 pairs (2x S, M, L) on AliExpress and the Starlines are about the same price (mentioned later). If you decide to try them get yourself at least 2 units, 4 pair of each size because they are easy to tear where the nozzle joins the shell. I think its the little bit of silicone that gives them the spiral or whirl look adds just enough extra rigidity to the shell of the tip to give them a more secure seal without having to move up a size as is necessary, for me at least, so they're more comfortable for me. The rather inexpensive KZ Starlines are another good choice. Not sure why the little dimple pattern makes a difference but it does for me. I'm guessing that its the same reason that the JVC Spiral Dots are so well regarded although they do have more 'dimple-ness' than the KZ. Of course they're also way more expensive than the 6 pair for under $2 KZ tips.

Just received my Z5000 and done some tips rolling, JVC spiral dots, spinfit cp100, MEE double flange, but i could acheive best results with Sony hybrids and grey tips from my Dunu 2000J.
IMO bass is more controlled and sounstage is still wide and comfort is better than foam because i can't stand the presure inside my eardrums.

Thank you both! I'm really tempted to order those kz twist.

Yeah, I like foamies, but sometimes they just seem to big and it's too much pressure inside the ears, so I was looking to some foamies cheap alternative or silicones. I think I will order the z5000 and some kz twist. I don't know where to find the Sony hybrids and the dunu 2000j tips :frowning2:

What is your thoughts about the
MandarinES Symbio ?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #6,950 of 31,834
If those are like the ones I use they have that nice push/pull thing on a specific mandrel that simplifies changing discs, no screwdriver necessary.

Yes, those are the ones.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #6,951 of 31,834
I like the flat cables that I have. What I hate is thick sprongy cables

It didn't even occur to me that the Spark's cables were flat until Slater pointed it out. I had more issues with untangling the Urbanfun's cables.

I agree, noodle cables are great for not tangling.

Where the problems are is that they are too fragile. The wires always end up stressing internally when bent/stressed/folded, causing premature cable failure. Round wires are much more robust in that regard, and will almost always outlast a flat cable. That's why you rarely find flat noodle cables in critical applications, such as undersea communications cables, telephone pole wiring, power lines, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #6,954 of 31,834
I somehow feel like having a plate of spaghetti for dinner.

giphy.gif

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #6,955 of 31,834
Thank you both! I'm really tempted to order those kz twist.

Yeah, I like foamies, but sometimes they just seem to big and it's too much pressure inside the ears, so I was looking to some foamies cheap alternative or silicones. I think I will order the z5000 and some kz twist. I don't know where to find the Sony hybrids and the dunu 2000j tips :frowning2:

What is your thoughts about the
MandarinES Symbio ?
you can order smaller foamies so there is less pressure

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #6,956 of 31,834
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #6,957 of 31,834
I found the B100 handy on the bus yesterday. Great, stable fit and a nice and airy sound playing over the bus's engine with ease.
Do they isolate well?

From pics I see they don't look very aesthetically pleasing, but it seems to sound good so I'm pretty interested.

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #6,959 of 31,834
You seem to know your stuff here :wink:
I'm looking for some IEMs to use while on bus or walking on foot... I don't want great sound quality, I just want it decent enough. The environment is noisy anyway. For isolation, it's best to stay in the middle grounds, because too much isolation means I won't be aware of my surroundings (e.g. a car horning at me).

Now, this list is very nice, but the problem is my "unusual" taste for sound signature. I have a Sennheiser CX300II and I could just use that one, but I hate how it sounds. It was my first non-standard IEM (standard being included with a phone or something) and I kiked it at the beginning, but after I got an Audio Technica AD900X, I just can't stand it anymore. I got used to much better, more natural sound, and now the Sennheiser sounds muddy AF. I can't hear anything but the bass there, it obstructs all the details in mids.

TL;DR I want to stay as far as possible away from V shape, at least the kind of it seen in Sennheiser CX300II.

What I want is a large soundstage with good instrument separation and lots of details, because I listen to classical music. I mean, I won't get all that, but I want to get close to it.

Any suggestions in the price range around $30?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #6,960 of 31,834
… so I was looking to some foamies cheap alternative or silicones. I think I will order the z5000 and some kz twist. I don't know where to find the Sony hybrids and the dunu 2000j tips :frowning2:
Since you don't have a location not sure how helpful this info is. JVC spiral dot can be purchased via eBay or Amazon and they'll be shipped from Japan taking about a month to arrive costing $13-$15 if you look for good deals. Sometimes and it varies when you can get domestically shipped ones from Amazon Prime for about $15-$17 but which size is available changes. I've been waiting for the ML size to come back in stock myself.

I'd guess that you could try contacting a seller that carries them and see if they could help. Did find this Amazon listing when I went looking before but decided it wasn't worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016BP7L7C/ref=twister_B019F6T02I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back