CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 6, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #31,861 of 31,901
The Curious Case Of Kiwi Ears Singolo

Here are my first impressions on Kiwi Ears Singolo based on my initial observation. This set has a rather large 11mm dynamic driver and it was implemented with some air resonance acoustic tubing inside similar to AFUL MagicOne's Nautilus Acoustic tubing but the latter's resonance acoustic tubing is more advanced as it was supported with RLC acoustic crossover to improve the sonic performance of its custom made balanced armature driver. This set is quite an ear tip dependent as it has some slight changes of its tonality from ear tips to other ear tips with different bores.

Wide bored ones, gives a more open sounding but the expense of some occurrences of shrill and a bit intense on some female vocals due to the accentuated presence treble that will be detrimental to treble-sensitive folk out there, and it also a tad loose and less precise bass response.

On the other hand, narrow and balanced bored ear tips will improve some of its bass definition as it has more thump and a tad more incisive bass response. But despite of some bass quality improvements, there's a catch and it will affect the other parts of the frequency response as midrange sounds lethargic, dull and a tad dry as I noticed it on some vocal types and instruments as it they should have at least a sense of vividness and ample texture on its presentation. The treble presentation appears to be a veiled for some reason that treble heads will surely distance themselves on this one.

And another thing is that its technical performance is rather mediocre in my opinion given that I've tested some other Crin sets before that it always has a very capable technicality field.

Checkout my full review on this one in a few days.
Nice to see BIC Runga on your Dap, I enjoy listening to her as well

Jun 6, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #31,862 of 31,901
Nice to see BIC Runga on your Dap, I enjoy listening to her as well
I remember that I bought a cassette tape of this album in the late 90s.

Jun 10, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #31,864 of 31,901
3 very different iems came today the
ISN NEO 5
ELYSIAN ACOUSTICS PILGRIM
TRN MEDUSA
brief initial impressions are favoring the ISN NEO 5 with it's addictive Bass! And smooth natural mids

I still reach for the Neo 5 a lot. A sign that it's a keeper for sure.

Smooth and rich sound to my ears and great fitting as well.

Goes very well with my Goth & Doom library.

Jun 13, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #31,865 of 31,901
Initial impressions of TANCHJIM 4U

I finally opened up the TANCHJIM 4U right now and my initial impressions are that this set is really pretty damn good. This one is quite innovative on what TANCHJIM did. It features a dial tuning that offers 4 types of tuning styles that reminds me of the Vision Ears Erlkonig's tuning system. This is one of few sets that activates the high impedance mode of LG phones without any impedance/gain tricking which truly shows its full potential.

Tonal performance-wise, this set is quite versatile as it offers distinctive sound profiles from mild U-shapes to reference-neutral tuning in which I really prefer. But for now I will do some brief description for the “monitor mode”.

The bass response is well-balanced as it has reverberating sub bass presence with a sufficiently mid bass texture to give a precise and tightness that it definitely conveys as clean bass presentation. The midrange section has a neutral, pristine and quite transparent with adequate texture not to sound too lean for male vocals and percussives. Treble response is pretty smooth with the right amount of sparkle and air. The technical performance of this one is quite remarkable on how it projects its sound field dimensions, a well-done stereo imaging on how it presents a fairly layered soundscape in which I can pinpoint an exact positioning of vocals and instruments. Coherency of its DMT4 dynamic driver executes a fast transient response. And also, this set is pretty resolving on both macro-dynamics and micro-dynamics.

You can check out my full review on this set later.

This set is exclusively available on HIFIGO. You can check out the link here.

Jun 13, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #31,866 of 31,901
i think it would be shamfull to not share my extremely enthusiastic review of the Simgot Supermix4. The big chifi marvel of the moment and expect big loving and hyping for this one....not from me since im not good for this task.

yet, to tell you....the SM4 get me as excited as the super old Sinfer ****....but their only one similarity here and its ''big cinematic holographic sound experience''. **** wasnt well balanced and smooth from SM4 that feel like kilobucks IEM compared to this very oldster. so, i can say they remind me a more multi layered and mid centric and warm Hidizs MP145 too, since it does offer an out of your head musicality that feel bigger than life.

again, i prefer SM4 big time over MP145 which i do like still, its just the mids are lusher and smoother and bass is thicker rumblier rounder with SM4, treble is softer but more 3 D too...tx to piezo and planar help but wait did i do a review for a review sharing now?

OK :

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-supermix-4-1dd-1ba-1-planar-1-pzt.27255/reviews#review-34181
Pros: -sweetly balanced warm W shape tonality
-smooth in intensity yet muscular in dynamic
-dense vibrant sub bass that deliver fleshy natural bass line
-warm round mid bass punch
-lush and energetic mids with wide presence
-excellent for both piano, saxo and vocal
-enough lower mids substance
-crunchy and snappy treble with it’s own wide space
-cohesive timbre between 4 different drivers
-big holographic soundstage
-you part of music yet not mixed up in a mess
-good note weight
-versatile tuning that can deliver both fun and balance
-lush timbre, just a hint of warmth coloring that doesn't erase texture info
-one of those safe but not boring tuning that is so rare yet so needed
-potent sound layering that avoid macro muddyness
-nice enough cable
-excellent sound value
Cons: -hint of warmth mean hint of bass bleed into lower mids
-not the cleanest nor the crispest spatiality
-air around instrument isn’t pristine limpid
-not most transparent sounding (some noise in timbre)
-piezo don't deliver a lot of sharp brilliance with airy decay release
-not the most detailed sounding resolution
-need power to shine yet don’t like too much output impedance (extra warmth+bass boost)
-all plastic + aluminum backplate construction might not promise longest durability
-treble head or neutral head will perhaps not be in awe like me

1718316738243.png

PS: guys i dont forget this precious CFL thread and we are collecting Best IEM list of different admins right now, this thread will be update sooner than later, front page.

Jun 13, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #31,867 of 31,901
I still reach for the Neo 5 a lot. A sign that it's a keeper for sure.

Smooth and rich sound to my ears and great fitting as well.

Goes very well with my Goth & Doom library.
nice to know, i love them too, didnt know its good for metal (a style i dont listen and still seek for GREAT instrumental band since im open minded and like hardcore music time to time)

do you know about the ISN H60? just come out and seem very big upgrade from H50.

there the graph:

1718317055365.png

Jun 17, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #31,868 of 31,901
i think it would be shamfull to not share my extremely enthusiastic review of the Simgot Supermix4. The big chifi marvel of the moment and expect big loving and hyping for this one....not from me since im not good for this task.

yet, to tell you....the SM4 get me as excited as the super old Sinfer ****....but their only one similarity here and its ''big cinematic holographic sound experience''. **** wasnt well balanced and smooth from SM4 that feel like kilobucks IEM compared to this very oldster. so, i can say they remind me a more multi layered and mid centric and warm Hidizs MP145 too, since it does offer an out of your head musicality that feel bigger than life.

again, i prefer SM4 big time over MP145 which i do like still, its just the mids are lusher and smoother and bass is thicker rumblier rounder with SM4, treble is softer but more 3 D too...tx to piezo and planar help but wait did i do a review for a review sharing now?

OK :

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-supermix-4-1dd-1ba-1-planar-1-pzt.27255/reviews#review-34181
-good note weight
-nice enough cable
-excellent sound value
-need power to shine yet don’t like too much output impedance (extra warmth+bass boost)
-all plastic + aluminum backplate construction might not promise longest durability

PS: guys i dont forget this precious CFL thread and we are collecting Best IEM list of different admins right now, this thread will be update sooner than later, front page.
You like this better than artti t10?

Jun 23, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #31,869 of 31,901
Jun 23, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #31,870 of 31,901
do you know about the ISN H60? just come out and seem very big upgrade from H50

Yeah, heard about this and tempting for sure.

In an attempt to constrain my gear aquisition to some extent, however, I am limiting myself to no more than 1 IEM per company 😀

As such, happy to mark my ISN category as closed for now with Neo 5.

Will see how strong I can remain on this, lol

Jun 30, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #31,871 of 31,901
Always loved KZ ED9 and PRO version appears to be mostly the same with a SPC cable and resolution is far improved, too bad it only comes with silver cable sleeving but clearly a winner to my ears and A/B'ing them with bass nozzles + spinfit's makes for a huge improvement :)

Some vintage FLAC tunes that sounded fine now sound full of crackle and static, always a good sign, same story as when going HE500 > HE6SEV2 :xf_eek:

Bass nozzles are different and PRO's make vanilla ED9 sound like a subwoofer with poor treble

Jack appears heavily reinforced, amazing what 10 bucks buys you these days

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #31,872 of 31,901
Jul 5, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #31,873 of 31,901
I did some metal listening surfing in this whole afternoon, a mix of tracks from American, European and Canadian metal bands.

20240705_171532.jpg

VOIVOD along with EXCITER, RAZOR and ANNIHILATOR were among Canada's pioneering heavy metal band and also one of my favourite metal bands. This band from the Quebec metal scene is known for their speed metal musical style mix with some elements of thrash and progressive metal in their later albums.

20240705_171559.jpg

For those who are interested on how the LETSHUOER CADENZA 12 sounds like, check out the reviews from active head-fiers below.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-cadenza-12.26349/reviews

We should rediscovered some previous sets on how tonally capable they are.

Jul 9, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #31,874 of 31,901
Jul 9, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #31,875 of 31,901

OK :

-good note weight
-nice enough cable
-excellent sound value

1718316738243.png

Wow…didn’t like the SM4 at all… treble wasn’t cohesive to my treble sensitive ears and bass was lacking compared to the MP145 or even the Artti T10 which both sound a lot better to me. Not even speaking about the Quartet which sounds superior to my ears. But to be honest the problem isn’t probably the SM4 but more my taste which mostly differs from most reviewers/audiophiles … The Xuannv also wasn’t my cup of tea and even the praised Performer8 I really didn’t like. On the other hand the Timeless AE and the Doscinco are the best IEM’s I ever heard. Also the Aful Explorer is on it’s way and I am very curious about this one…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back