Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 19, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #16,666 of 33,689
So, due to my newfound interest in BA drivers, a kind friend graciously lent me his Ortofon e-Q8 to compare to Binary Acoustic Unicorn that's taken me by surprise

I was honestly expecting a handy beat down but instead it was more like a pick your poison test. My observation:
- Ortofon e-Q8 has more prominent upper mids to highs, making them more energetic, extended yet prone to sibilance with better perceived clarity
- Unicorn is more linear, with better bass, smoother high and comparatively shelved-in treble extensions

- Female vocals sound close and personal on Q8 due to the above, also could sound glossy depending on the tracks, guitar riffs sound really great here. They're perhaps a bit like grados.
- Female vocals sound front and center on Unicorn, smoother than Q8 but retain just enough clarity to rivals it. Really great timbre and presence.

- Soundstage on Q8 suffers as a result, it feels a bit too closed in, however separation is pretty good
- Unicorn has a wide around your head soundstage in comparison, with separations and positioning that may or may not rival my Flares Gold, I thought this was just normal with modern day single BA, apparently it may not be the case? also they have to be worn over ear for this effect, at least in my case

- Q8's bass is pretty 'tight', or should I say rather weak, they can hit when called to but only at some very specific songs and not too hard (compared to Unicorn, against dynamic drivers, there's no contest)
- Unicorn bass is about one to two levels above Q8 in term of quantity, not dynamic level by any means but they have enough to not drag down the whole spectrum into sounding dry IMO.
Quality wise, I think both are similar. NOTE, look elsewhere if you want bass even if you don't think you want more bass, you want more bass.

- Q8 is super easy to drive, enough to make it pick up hiss on my Mojo :frowning2:
- Unicorn is about on par with Flares Pro/Gold in term of drivability, which are already harder to drive than some fullsize (like MSR7), no hiss on Mojo

In essence I think Q8 is a bit too specialized in its genres though it should sound great on those specific genres, while Unicorn is a more versatile jack of all trades type that goes well and inoffensive with almost all types of music but not excels in anything (though honestly, I think it's very good with female vocals in a different way to Q8). Or perhaps I just don't have the right amp to elevate Q8 to its greatest height, I dunno and will probably never find out.

I really don't want to hype these IEMs as I stand to gain absolutely nothing here, I'm just telling it like I'm hearing it which may or may not fit yours, so please do take note and don't take my impressions as gospel. Hearing is believing. :)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #16,667 of 33,689
Earbuds too, I'm still loving my T180 and highly tempted to get the TO400 too. They have a few DIY headphones on their official store, but seems like its just experimental models.

Their stuff are really good, I've rarely seen people be disappointed in any of their models at any price bracket.

also another new model from Toneking, seems like you can customize what kind of tuning you want.

O1CN011E2EUSNSJQ34DSF_!!114180293.jpg
i fully concur...all the toneking (musicmaker) stuff i've heard is good, with especially noteworthy build. i haven't heard their current offerings, but the tk13 and tk12 are among the best $100 sets you can get, and i'd bet the new stuff are winners.

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #16,668 of 33,689
Hi everyone.

It's a long time I don't show up here.
I've received my "kz qt2" next and i am loving them so far. Airy, detailed and textured fun sound. Without any fatiguing.

Now i am thinking in give a try to @Clearhead reccomendation ACZ KR06-6. Anyone got them ? Any other good call for around 35 bucks ? Thx. I think most of the already well know in this price would be redundant.
Don't forget, there's the ACZ KR06-4 as well. They sound slightly warmer with plenty of details while the KR06-6 are my personal champs with better micro details and resolution. :beerchug:

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #16,671 of 33,689
Jul 20, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #16,672 of 33,689
Hello fellow headfiers i am looking for a sub-50$ iems with balanced signature ( light bass with depth) big soundstage with great instrument separation
i had kz es4 which i sold at mrp to a friend of mine so i am expecting my next iems to be an upgrade from es4
Thanks in advance

Jul 20, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #16,673 of 33,689
i fully concur...all the toneking (musicmaker) stuff i've heard is good, with especially noteworthy build. i haven't heard their current offerings, but the tk13 and tk12 are among the best $100 sets you can get, and i'd bet the new stuff are winners.
I've got the it01 which is really good, but I need something to compliment it as I need more thicker and forward midrange with more than average bass. How does the tk13 compare to it01 or fh1? i have been very curious about this for a long time

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #16,674 of 33,689
Jul 20, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #16,677 of 33,689
I've got the it01 which is really good, but I need something to compliment it as I need more thicker and forward midrange with more than average bass. How does the tk13 compare to it01 or fh1? i have been very curious about this for a long time
the tk13 is more v-shaped, with less prominent mids, but the tk12 has the mids you describe. both have great overall clarity and probably more detail than the it01. i don't have the fh1.

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #16,678 of 33,689
the tk13 is more v-shaped, with less prominent mids, but the tk12 has the mids you describe. both have great overall clarity and probably more detail than the it01. i don't have the fh1.
Thanks this was helpful, also, upto £120 which is the best iem for big bass (doesn't have to be basshead standards but near) thick and forward vocals (very important) and good enough highs (just not too dark)?

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #16,679 of 33,689
Jul 20, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #16,680 of 33,689
Thanks this was helpful, also, upto £120 which is the best iem for big bass (doesn't have to be basshead standards but near) thick and forward vocals (very important) and good enough highs (just not too dark)?
on my list the fidue a73 would probably be closest. i don't recommend iems i haven't heard, but i would also solicit opinions on the tfz king pro and musicmaker ninetail, which are praised by reliable folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back