Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #9,542 of 33,689
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #9,545 of 33,689
How does the exclusive 3 and 5 sound compare to the king?

I'm finding the 3 to be the most balanced and easy-going of the group. King is the brightest and most technically impressive. 5 sits nicely between the two, with a bit more weight and thickness to it's sound and some extra grunt in the low end. The entire lineup has a consistent signature; treble/mid preference with varying degrees of emphasis. All are good with clarity and detail retrieval. Sound stage presentation only gets better as you move through the lineup; i.e. 1 sounds large but flat, while these rest do a great job with depth and width (King is the best with the 5 and 3 close behind).

I'm leaning towards the 5 as my favorite because I find them the most versatile and natural. 3 is the best value since it costs ~30 bucks less than the 5 and performs nearly on the same level as the top two models. King is undeniably the most technically proficient (but not by much), though it's also the least comfortable (to me) and the brightest of the three. The 1 is the brightest and most aggressive of the four though. The 1 is my least favorite. I'm just finishing up a more extensive post comparing them which should be up within the next couple hours *fingers crossed*.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #9,546 of 33,689
I'm finding the 3 to be the most balanced and easy-going of the group. King is the brightest and most technically impressive. 5 sits nicely between the two, with a bit more weight and thickness to it's sound and some extra grunt in the low end. The entire lineup has a consistent signature; treble/mid preference with varying degrees of emphasis. All are good with clarity and detail retrieval. Sound stage presentation only gets better as you move through the lineup; i.e. 1 sounds large but flat, while these rest do a great job with depth and width (King is the best with the 5 and 3 close behind).

I'm leaning towards the 5 as my favorite because I find them the most versatile and natural. 3 is the best value since it costs ~30 bucks less than the 5 and performs nearly on the same level as the top two models. King is undeniably the most technically proficient (but not by much), though it's also the least comfortable (to me) and the brightest of the three. The 1 is the brightest and most aggressive of the four though. The 1 is my least favorite. I'm just finishing up a more extensive post comparing them which should be up within the next couple hours *fingers crossed*.
Appreciate the swift response. Am having the newest version of the king and thinking should I get the 5. How does the 5 treble compare to the king? I find that King treble change according to the ear tips, dap or dacs that you using. The king sound signature also came very close to ATH-E40. Except that E40 treble is more polite compare to the king.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #9,547 of 33,689
I'm probably looking for a bassy earphone that has forward mids and good separation. Something with the clarity of xe800 with more subbass. What would be the best choice from the three?

Thanks a lot in advance. I shall definitely wait to hear more from you!

So I've had about 10 earphones out trying to figure this out. If I'm honest I'm not sure I've got a definitive answer.

In terms of a bassier XE800 - I would suggest either the Memt X5 or Seahf AWK-009 with the following caveats

The Memt X5 has more sub-bass but the mids are a little recessed.
The Seahf has more forward mids but it's bass is more mid than sub.

Of the two I think the Seahf is the better earphone as it has a bigger soundstage IMO. If you fancy spending less than $5 on a pair of earphones that are crackingly good for clarity try the Daono D21.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #9,548 of 33,689
Appreciate the swift response. Am having the newest version of the king and thinking should I get the 5. How does the 5 treble compare to the king? I find that King treble change according to the ear tips, dap or dacs that you using. The king sound signature also came very close to ATH-E40. Except that E40 treble is more polite compare to the king.

If you already own the King I wouldn't bother with the 5 unless you just wanted something smaller and more ergonomic. I found treble quality pretty similar on both; very detailed and crisp, non-sibilant. The 5's treble isn't as prominent though and doesn't have quite the same shimmer. I wouldn't be shocked if with some minor adjustments to an EQ you could get the 5 and King to sound almost identical. It's probably not worth the switch. I haven't heard the E40 unfortunately and wouldn't be able to say how it would fit in.

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #9,549 of 33,689

Mind if I post this, or the more extensive impressions you're posting later, to the Exclusive discussion on Massdrop?

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #9,551 of 33,689
Mind if I post this, or the more extensive impressions you're posting later, to the Exclusive discussion on Massdrop?

Good timing. If you want to, I suppose you could. As long as they're clearly marked as first impressions, go wild, haha. Just created a thread with the full impressions which should be in the post above this.

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #9,552 of 33,689
Good timing. If you want to, I suppose you could. As long as they're clearly marked as first impressions, go wild, haha. Just created a thread with the full impressions which should be in the post above this.
Just finished reading it. I think it'd be better just to link to your new thread. Thanks!

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #9,553 of 33,689
I swore I wasn't going to buy anymore headphones this summer...Then they massdropped the TFZ exclusive 5.

So glad my wife and I have separate checking accounts. The Series 5 was my favorite headphone of 2016. Can't wait for the Exclusive!

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #9,554 of 33,689
I swore I wasn't going to buy anymore headphones this summer...Then they massdropped the TFZ exclusive 5.

So glad my wife and I have separate checking accounts. The Series 5 was my favorite headphone of 2016. Can't wait for the Exclusive!

Of course you jest about having too many phones

too many.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back