Choosing an external sound card for good headphones (HD 600-650, DT 880-990, etc.)
Jul 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PoorBastard

Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm new to the forum, so I'm sorry if I'm posting into the wrong forum section or something..

I'm planning to buy new headphones soon, thinking about Sennheiser HD 600/650, Beyerdynamic DT 880/990 or something in this category.

I only have a laptop (with USB and HDMI), so I have to choose an external sound card. My budget for the sound card is about $200, but if you think I can get enough quality with a cheaper card - please share. The card should be able to work well with at least 250 Ohm headphones. What would you recommend?

I'm going to choose something on Amazon, so if a card you recommend is available there it would be great.

Previously I had Creative Audigy SE + Sennheiser HD 215 II and I loved it. But now I wanna try something better for my birthday :)

I mostly listen to music on my laptop (90% of the time, usually old Rock, Downtempo/Trip-Hop, some Soul, Funk, Psychodelic), and 10% of the time I watch movies. I am not planning to buy something like 5.1 in the near future, maybe will just buy a pair of nice speakers.

Thanks for help.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, $190.
The AD900Xs are only 40-Ohms, very easy to drive.

Fiio E10K external USB/DAC/Amp, $75.

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 6
I've ordered Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm.

As for the sound card, I'm still thinking...

To be honest I don't trust to Fiio E10K external USB/DAC/Amp, because it's difficult to believe for me that an external sound card that weighs 2.7oz, costs $75 and have a size of a pack of cigarettes can make really quality sound. Also it doesn't support ASIO and I think it's not a good sign.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 6
  I've ordered Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm.
As for the sound card, I'm still thinking...
To be honest I don't trust to Fiio E10K external USB/DAC/Amp, because it's difficult to believe for me that an external sound card that weighs 2.7oz, costs $75 and have a size of a pack of cigarettes can make really quality sound. Also it doesn't support ASIO and I think it's not a good sign.

FiiO does offer a ASIO driver for the E10, not sure if the same driver works with the E10K.
But if you just do not want the E10K, cool.

Does the external sound card or external DAC/Amp, need to be self powered or run off USB power or is AC powered ok?

Monoproce sells what appears to be a modified FiiO E09K with a built in DAC chip, $99.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=11567&seq=1&format=2
Not sure on ASIO support.
Personally I like using WASAPI, with my Foobar2000.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 6
PurpleAngel, thank you for trying to help!

I read more about Fiio products and it seems they make really good stuff for the price, but at the same time I'm afraid that a DAC/amp for $100 will not be enough to take maximum out of my DT 990 (got them yesterday btw) and I'm afraid it will be just a temporary purchase before I will want to spend more money to get something better.

Now I'm thinking that I have 3 options:
1) Buy something cheap (~$100) like Fiio E07K/E10K/E17, Asus Xonar U7, M-Audio M-Track and just be ready to change it after I get a job and more money :)
2) Try to find something good for ~$200, but at the moment I can't find anything really good for $200 :frowning2:
3) Buy a desktop PC and an internal sound card (Asus Xonar Essence ST(X) for example)

I would go for option #3 but I don't have enough money right now and I have time until 2nd of September if I wish to return my DT 990 back (they are great, but I feel that high frequences sound maybe too aggressive and voices in songs sound 1-2 db lower than on my previous Sennheiser HD 215 II and I love how voices sound in my Sennhs. But of course I need to make such decisions after testing the headphones on a good source).

Btw, I'm in NYC, maybe someone knows where I can try out different external DACs or just listen to my new DT 990 on a good DAC?

Sorry for so many letters :frowning2:

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Well, I've ordered Crative X-Fi HD just to temporary have something better than a built-in sound card on my laptop until I get more money for a serious DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back