Choosing headphones is difficult...
Aug 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

headphone_guy

New Head-Fier
...so help a friend out!

I made the mistake of buying a horrible first pair of headphones, so I'm looking for a new pair.

I want my headphones to be closed and under $600. I would either like a more expensive pair that doesn't require an amp/dac, or a cheaper pair that would benefit from it (all under 600). Basically whichever one ends up sounding better according to my music tastes.

Speaking of music tastes, I like listening to acoustic music, but also rap, chill, and many other genres. Examples of artists I listen to include Gorillaz, alt-J, Milky Chance, Childish Gambino, and Petit Biscuit.

I have been looking into three headphones in particular: the Fostex TH610, Meze 99 Classics, and Audio Technica ATH-A1000Z. Could someone give me an idea of which one to go for based on the type of music I listen to? A comparison between the three would be great as well!

Any other headphone recommendations would be nice to hear. Amp/dac suggestions would be nice as well!

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 31
If you decide you need an amp and DAC, the Magni 2/Modi 2 are at the top of my suggestion list! Its 200 bucks for the stack and will drive so many different types of headphones very well.

As for headphones, I like that the TH610 is on your list. Perhaps look at the EL-8 Closed back from Audeze? Both are easy to drive but take up your budget. I'd assume they'd benefit from an amp anyway

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 31
If you decide you need an amp and DAC, the Magni 2/Modi 2 are at the top of my suggestion list! Its 200 bucks for the stack and will drive so many different types of headphones very well.

As for headphones, I like that the TH610 is on your list. Perhaps look at the EL-8 Closed back from Audeze? Both are easy to drive but take up your budget. I'd assume they'd benefit from an amp anyway

Thanks for the response! I really like the look of the TH610, and the sound signature seems right for me. Could you give me some impressions on it if possible?

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 31
...so help a friend out!

I made the mistake of buying a horrible first pair of headphones, so I'm looking for a new pair.

I want my headphones to be closed and under $600. I would either like a more expensive pair that doesn't require an amp/dac, or a cheaper pair that would benefit from it (all under 600). Basically whichever one ends up sounding better according to my music tastes.

Speaking of music tastes, I like listening to acoustic music, but also rap, chill, and many other genres. Examples of artists I listen to include Gorillaz, alt-J, Milky Chance, Childish Gambino, and Petit Biscuit.

I have been looking into three headphones in particular: the Fostex TH610, Meze 99 Classics, and Audio Technica ATH-A1000Z. Could someone give me an idea of which one to go for based on the type of music I listen to? A comparison between the three would be great as well!

Any other headphone recommendations would be nice to hear. Amp/dac suggestions would be nice as well!

Just whatever you do order them from Amazon(make sure they're fulfilled by amazon) and they will take them back no questions asked hell they even send ups to your house to pick em up for the return

I literally ordered 5 sets before settling with X2s

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 31
I like the 99 Classics quite a bit. One other you should look into that is a bit over budget but well worth it is the AEON. It is fairly balanced and sounds terrific IMO. Worth a look-see. Worth the money.

Ahhh I wish I could get my hands on the AEON. Have heard so many good things about them. Unfortunately I'm broke. Could you give some impressions on the 99 Classics? How do they compare with some other headphones?

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 31
hmm ... so you have bought a horrible first pair of headphones (let me guess ... without ever hearing them) which you terribly regret buying - and now you ask on a headphone forum which headphone to buy (again without hearing the headphone before?) ... best way to get disappointed again.

choosing headhones is actually not that difficult: go to a shop with a good headphone selection, bring your own music, test as many headphones as you can and choose the one you like best - mission complete :)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 31
Well first question would be- what was the headphone that you thoguht was horrible and why?

That way we can get a clear basis on what you don't want and then could respond asking questions about what you do want.

And speaking of what @HBen said, going to a store that has a decent selection is first priority but not eveyone has a store like that nowadays...

Btw we have the Aeon, Meze99, and a ton of other cans and gear to demo(authorized dealer for all of which) if you are ever in the Pittsburgh area! I know it's a drive though ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 31
hmm ... so you have bought a horrible first pair of headphones (let me guess ... without ever hearing them) which you terribly regret buying - and now you ask on a headphone forum which headphone to buy (again without hearing the headphone before?) ...

chooseing headhones is actually not that difficult: go to a shop with a good headphone selection, bring your own music, test as many headphones as you can and choose the one you like best - mission complete :)

Nah, I heard the headphones before and decided they sounded good. I literally did not know anything about headphones back then; should have researched more. I appreciate your advice, though! I'll try to find some stores!

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 31
Well first question would be- what was the headphone that you thoguht was horrible and why?

That way we can get a clear basis on what you don't want and then could respond asking questions about what you do want.

I bought the Sony MDR XB950BT. Claimed to have good bass and pretty good "everything else" but the bass was bloated and the mids and highs just weren't good at all.

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 31
Ahhh I wish I could get my hands on the AEON. Have heard so many good things about them. Unfortunately I'm broke. Could you give some impressions on the 99 Classics? How do they compare with some other headphones?
Sure. Bass is somewhat loose but well extended. There is a bit of a bass emphasis. Mids are stunning, vocals killer, and they are not stepped on by the bass. Treble is terrific if slightly, slightly grainy. Imaging and soundstaging are very good for a closed headphone. Overall personality is on the warm side. That is that. But the real deal with the 99 Classics is that they are fun, just super, super fun. They are snappy. Dynamics are great. The PM-3 sounds boring to me in comparison. The HP50 slightly incoherent and bloated at times. The MSR7 is super bright to me, personally. I don't like that much. Some thoughts. FWIW, and YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back