Choosing headphones is difficult...
Aug 18, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 31
Sure. Bass is somewhat loose but well extended. There is a bit of a bass emphasis. Mids are stunning, vocals killer, and they are not stepped on by the bass. Treble is terrific if slightly, slightly grainy. Imaging and soundstaging are very good for a closed headphone. Overall personality is on the warm side. That is that. But the real deal with the 99 Classics is that they are fun, just super, super fun. They are snappy. Dynamics are great. The PM-3 sounds boring to me in comparison. The HP50 slightly incoherent and bloated at times. The MSR7 is super bright to me, personally. I don't like that much. Some thoughts. FWIW, and YMMV, of course.

EDIT: I'm dumb I thought you were talking about the TH610's. The 99 Classics sound really awesome, definitely considering it now!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 31
The 99 classics may be something you would want to consider, but they are definetly warm cans. So not sure if that's fitting or not. I think they are very fun like @serman005 said. Like the original statement it is so much easier if you can get the chance to demo ha. But I bought my first pair of cans out of recommendation here and they fit what I wanted at the time but I grew out of the sound really fast.

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #19 of 31
The 99 classics may be something you would want to consider, but they are definetly warm cans. So not sure if that's fitting or not. I think they are very fun like @serman005 said. Like the original statement it is so much easier if you can get the chance to demo ha. But I bought my first pair of cans out of recommendation here and they fit what I wanted at the time but I grew out of the sound really fast.

I think what I'm looking for is a warm sound for sure. Genres like acoustic music and EDM (both of which I enjoy) definitely need that warmth. I'll try my best to demo some headphones before I go in for the steal!

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #20 of 31
Sure. Bass is somewhat loose but well extended. There is a bit of a bass emphasis. Mids are stunning, vocals killer, and they are not stepped on by the bass. Treble is terrific if slightly, slightly grainy. Imaging and soundstaging are very good for a closed headphone. Overall personality is on the warm side. That is that. But the real deal with the 99 Classics is that they are fun, just super, super fun. They are snappy. Dynamics are great. The PM-3 sounds boring to me in comparison. The HP50 slightly incoherent and bloated at times. The MSR7 is super bright to me, personally. I don't like that much. Some thoughts. FWIW, and YMMV, of course.

I see that you own/have owned many headphones. Are there any under the $600 price range that are closed that you would recommend based on my music tastes?

Aug 18, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #21 of 31
I see that you own/have owned many headphones. Are there any under the $600 price range that are closed that you would recommend based on my music tastes?
It is a bit tough because cans that are good for acoustic music are not necessarily great for rap and vice versa. That said, you might also check out a B&W P7 or maybe a TH-X00. One of those could potentially work, too. Maybe read about them and see what you think. I do also really like the MEZE, though, as mentioned..

Aug 18, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 31
It is a bit tough because cans that are good for acoustic music are not necessarily great for rap and vice versa. That said, you might also check out a B&W P7 or maybe a TH-X00. One of those could potentially work, too. Maybe read about them and see what you think. I do also really like the MEZE, though, as mentioned..

Thanks for the suggestions! Sorry if I'm being a bit bothersome with my questions. I just want to get an awesome set of cans this time around.

Aug 18, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #23 of 31
An all-arounder that sounds great with pretty much anything you throw at it,good bass extension and slam,extended yet non-sibilant highs and non-recessed mids,closed back but with good imaging and soundstage....and the best part is you can probably find one for under 150.00!

Sennheiser HD250 Linear I or Linear II.

Only caveat is you will need a decent amp.

Its a really good sounding headphone...and very few members here know of it.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #24 of 31
An all-arounder that sounds great with pretty much anything you throw at it,good bass extension and slam,extended yet non-sibilant highs and non-recessed mids,closed back but with good imaging and soundstage....and the best part is you can probably find one for under 150.00!

Sennheiser HD250 Linear I or Linear II.

Only caveat is you will need a decent amp.

Its a really good sounding headphone...and very few members here know of it.

Wow that's so cheap! I will definitely consider it, thank you for the recommendation! The less money the better :wink:

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 31
I'm absolutely in love with the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (now called the HD-1 because of some copyright). Especially for those genres. I find myself picking them up over any of my other headphones more and more often... and have a look at my inventory. That's saying something! They're so warm, so smooth and have a low end that's addicting.

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #26 of 31
I'm absolutely in love with the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (now called the HD-1 because of some copyright). Especially for those genres. I find myself picking them up over any of my other headphones more and more often... and have a look at my inventory. That's saying something! They're so warm, so smooth and have a low end that's addicting.

I've heard so many good things about that headphone! I'll consider it for sure!

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #27 of 31
I've had everything imaginable and I've found out through the process I don't love neutral headphones as much as I thought. The deeper bass, smoother highs (somewhat rolled up but in a pleasant way) are like ear candy. Neutral headphones are absolutely incredible for genres like classical, jazz, even classic rock. But man, for R&B, EDM, Pop - I really missed the punch.

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #28 of 31
I've had everything imaginable and I've found out through the process I don't love neutral headphones as much as I thought. The deeper bass, smoother highs (somewhat rolled up but in a pleasant way) are like ear candy. Neutral headphones are absolutely incredible for genres like classical, jazz, even classic rock. But man, for R&B, EDM, Pop - I really missed the punch.

Agreed. A good punch is always a plus. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back