Chord Announces Poly, Hugo 2 and Blu MkII @ CES 2017
Jan 8, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #121 of 144
Wow! It is as if everyone has forgotten how expensive Chord products are. Before Mojo there was pretty much nothing for less than a few thousand dollars/pounds/euros and the average price point was much high than this. It is a small miracle (no pun intended) that they even made the Mojo and catered for a very different audience than their usual very deep pocketed audiophile customers (who's hobby are in a different league of expensive than ours)!

That said, yes the Poly is expensive in relation to the Mojo. But the economics of these add ons is not going to give us any bargains. Chord know how many Mojos they have sold and how many owners have bought other accessories and add ons (which I guess is not many). They can make an educated guess as to how many Poly's they are likely to sell. They have the spread the R&D and marketing costs over the projected numbers as well as the individual production costs. Now Chord may not think they will sell many, in which case that would explain why it is relatively expensive in comparison to the Mojo. On the other hand the development costs could have been very high and they may think that they are going to sell a lot of these to cover these costs so they may end up losing money on the Poly. But to think they are "gauging" you or trying to rip you off is highly likely to be off the mark. They are just not set up to make cheaper, mass market goods.

Don't forget that Chord is not Sony, they have limited experience of selling to a wide customer base and are likely to get it wrong from time to time. In the U.K. The Mojo case is free with the purchase of a Mojo at the moment so this may indicate the case is not selling all that well. No doubt they will learn valuable lessons from their Mojo product line and your feedback and as a result we can all look forward to seeing more products from them around this price point. Just don't expect any bargains.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #123 of 144
Pricing a wireless dongle with a card reader more expensive than the item it is designed for is a fail.

This is the main point I've been repeating over and over. It's just not justifiable. You can convince yourself that it makes sense with the arguments related to R&D and production costs and the fact that Chord isn't Sony (though they've been around for decades), but the Poly should never cost more or as much as the Mojo. I'm not trying to paint Chord as an evil company looking to empty our pockets, but for what it is and in relation to the product it works for, it is overpriced, and they will lose many potential buyers, myself included, because of it.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #125 of 144
Welcome to the high-end!

It would seem to me that Chord, like many small, premium engineering company has strived for perfection with Poly and suffered from 'feature creep' .. And ended up with an accessory for Mojo that costs more than the Mojo market would expect, with more features than some might need.

As a Dave owner, I for one am thankful that this attitude has resulted in the Blu Mk2... Costs more than a CD drive should, but infinitely better.

If Poly were sold as an accessory to Dave and sold for double its (Poly)price, few would complain.

The Poly might be a gamble for Chord, and in order to succeed with that pricing, it better well perform in the field.

If it does, Chord will have created a new category of product. If not, it could end up being an expensive lesson.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #127 of 144
With just one SD slot that's a very expensive card reader even with wireless. Users with high resolution DSF and 192kHz files would fill largest SD card in a hurry. Leaving user to swap cards in and out of one slot. Better Chord leave marketing as is and let the chips fall where they may. Good point though that accessories usually don't cost more than the main device they connect to, although exceptions common enough, as example: Leica lenses that cost more than Leica camera.

Right, except camera lenses directly contribute, in a significant way, to the photo quality, some may say your money is better spent on a quality lens depending than a quality camera. But there are exceptions to that as well as in audio... but I find most may contribute to the device's performance. Poly doesn't add to sound quality, but rather adds convenience.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #129 of 144
Being the bottom feeder that I am, I don't think the price will stay that high, however this leaves an opening for someone to make a small sized dual (reg) sd card transport for home and portable that doesn't exist yet.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #130 of 144
I think when we complain about prices these days, we tend to forget how good we really have it. You couldn't get this kind of tech for any price a few years ago. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #131 of 144
I think when we complain about prices these days, we tend to forget how good we really have it. You couldn't get this kind of tech for any price a few years ago. 

Very true, but I think that can apply to nearly everything in technology these days - Laptops, video game consoles, 2TB USB Flash drives, VR, etc. And again I'm sure Chord has made another fantastic product and that it will preform great, but I can't wrap my head about it being priced higher than the Mojo, to just (for the most part) make the Mojo wireless.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #132 of 144
I have never seen any product like this in terms of functionality and portability.

I have never seen any product in which one accessory would cost more than the main product.

Maybe we should take this as a module instead of an accessory? The way a computer graphic card is to a PC? A camera lens to the camera itself as it was previously mentioned?

Very interesting product!

Mojo or Poly, which device has more chips? More processing power? More features?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back