Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 8, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #8,461 of 19,034
Hi Peter!

Reason for the reset is that ever since the Dec 23rd firmware my Poly disappears as a DLNA renderer and SD card library just seconds after Poly powers on unless I have the BubbleUPnP app (or other UPnP app) open. If I power on Poly then wait for say 30secs Poly is undiscoverable for the apps. This was never a problem with the first firmware, and I had hoped it would be fixed by now. This is of course not a problem out and about with Poly in hotspot mode, but at home I would like the possibility to stream Tidal.
I see some other Android users experience the same problem, and some don´t. So wanted to try a factory reset to see if it helps. I have also tried different wifi routers and the problem persists. I haven´t contacted Chord directly yet, but will do so.
Which version of the firmware are you using now?

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #8,463 of 19,034
I am on the latest firmware.
In that case, I remember someone posting something similar a couple of days ago, and I think that the solution involved changing the poly mode using the config pin. The exact solution was described in better detail in a post, but it did include the reminder that the process with the config pin has changed, so you need to cycle through the options, then select the option that you wanted.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #8,464 of 19,034
In that case, I remember someone posting something similar a couple of days ago, and I think that the solution involved changing the poly mode using the config pin. The exact solution was described in better detail in a post, but it did include the reminder that the process with the config pin has changed, so you need to cycle through the options, then select the option that you wanted.

Thanks for your input. I manage to reset to factory settings through the config pin procedure, but it doesn´t seem to do anyting. My Poly´s name, all the stored wifi SSIDS and passwords and everything remain the same. I guess a factory reset should reset everything? Oh well, in a couple hours I can try configuring with ipad and GoFigure app:)

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #8,465 of 19,034
Thanks for your input. I manage to reset to factory settings through the config pin procedure, but it doesn´t seem to do anyting. My Poly´s name, all the stored wifi SSIDS and passwords and everything remain the same. I guess a factory reset should reset everything? Oh well, in a couple hours I can try configuring with ipad and GoFigure app:)
Hope the app sorts out your problem.
A small caveat is to put your Poly on charge for a couple of hours first.
There are isolated posts being received about the recent iOS update causing issues with iphones and Mojo/Poly, but charging the Poly is reported to be a solution in this post.
It is a very small data set at present, but something to be kept at the back of ones mind, if anyone experiences an issue tonight.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #8,466 of 19,034
Actually it’s really bad practice to hide your SSID and can actually make your network less rather than more secure.

For example see the following: www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure

That said, I expect many networks are (incorrectly) set with a hidden SSID so it’s perhaps reasonable to expect Poly to be able to handle them.

That information is really designed for consumer APs where people mistakenly think that a hidden SSID ALONE is the only security required.

----

IT security for me is about layering multiple security features and multiple firewalls. Hidden SSIDs is just one of them.

So my setup is different. I have three layers of firewalls (two of which provide wireless AP capabilities), each from a different enterprise security manufacturer, combined with two 24/7 packet sniffers looking at what's going into and out of my ingress egress points (perimeter).

Partly because I work in the IT industry, and partly because I've been hacked multiple times (e.g. bot-port scanners are still happening to me today, every day), and partly because I'm a gadget geek who likes to see what's happening on my network.

- Secure L2 firewall between my wireless and wired networks (two different subnets, blocked between)
- Mac Address white listing (I was happy Chord's AP portal included the network MAC add right in the web page)
- Protocol monitoring (e.g. only approved protocols allowed, even when my computer makes a request)
- IDS/IPS with Deep packet inspection for all HTTPS traffic. Which, these days, is 90% of my web traffic
- Domain blacklisting
- RIA port forwarding and IPSec vpn only for remote access (Sonicwall and Fortinet come with free licenses). SSL VPN turned off.
- blocked access to management port

Of course, I use most of the other basic UTM features too. Nothing too fancy, just turning on the common ones like IP reputation, DLP, antimalware, port level antivirus and antispam. Mostly just standard East-West level security. I also setup a teeny tiny simple AD within the network for server services to my NAS server, mostly consumer grade stuff, but every layer of security counts.

I try to do security at on the server side, and switch side as well. With both a Cisco SMB200 and a Consentry 4048 (Consentry went out of business, but their switch was top notch, just weak on sales). Also an inline PAN200.

These are just a few of my security practices.

There are more, but the ones above are the most common ones.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #8,467 of 19,034
^
Nerd.

:o2smile:

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #8,468 of 19,034
That information is really designed for consumer APs where people mistakenly think that a hidden SSID ALONE is the only security required.

----

IT security for me is about layering multiple security features and multiple firewalls. Hidden SSIDs is just one of them.

So my setup is different. I have three layers of firewalls (two of which provide wireless AP capabilities), each from a different enterprise security manufacturer, combined with two 24/7 packet sniffers looking at what's going into and out of my ingress egress points (perimeter).

Partly because I work in the IT industry, and partly because I've been hacked multiple times (e.g. bot-port scanners are still happening to me today, every day), and partly because I'm a gadget geek who likes to see what's happening on my network.

- Secure L2 firewall between my wireless and wired networks (two different subnets, blocked between)
- Mac Address white listing (I was happy Chord's AP portal included the network MAC add right in the web page)
- Protocol monitoring (e.g. only approved protocols allowed, even when my computer makes a request)
- IDS/IPS with Deep packet inspection for all HTTPS traffic. Which, these days, is 90% of my web traffic
- Domain blacklisting
- RIA port forwarding and IPSec vpn only for remote access (Sonicwall and Fortinet come with free licenses). SSL VPN turned off.
- blocked access to management port

Of course, I use most of the other basic UTM features too. Nothing too fancy, just turning on the common ones like IP reputation, DLP, antimalware, port level antivirus and antispam. Mostly just standard East-West level security. I also setup a teeny tiny simple AD within the network for server services to my NAS server, mostly consumer grade stuff, but every layer of security counts.

I try to do security at on the server side, and switch side as well. With both a Cisco SMB200 and a Consentry 4048 (Consentry went out of business, but their switch was top notch, just weak on sales)

These are just a few of my security practices.

There are more, but the ones above are the most common ones.
Is this for your home network?
Be good if you could do a post somewhere - or series of posts - helping people to implement /understand the how and the whys of what you’re doing.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #8,469 of 19,034
I am on the latest firmware.

Here’s something worth a try.

We did the reset w poly but only got it to take after running the battery out.

It worked. This was the first poly w issues. After this we could get it to work but it took 30 min on average.

The replacement has been without issue.

I hope this works.

PS: we did get new modem/router from our provider. Poly did not work on old one. The old network just didn’t work w poly.

Provider did not charge for exchange.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #8,470 of 19,034
Apr 8, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #8,471 of 19,034
Is this for your home network?
Be good if you could do a post somewhere - or series of posts - helping people to implement /understand the how and the whys of what you’re doing.

Yes, this is my home network.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go totally off tangent from the Chord Poly thread

I'm not a network and systems security engineer, so what I know is limited. But my clients' companies are all engineers in IT, and security. While I try to setup and maintain my home security myself, they have really helped me figure out what is happening on my network and the different things I can do to secure it. My wife and have have actually spent a fair bit of money to keep our network secure as we have been hacked before and our identities have been stolen before.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #8,472 of 19,034
^

We just wear tinfoil hats when in the house using anything network related.

Hope it won't affect GoFigure download. (Keeping it Poly-specific) :wink:

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #8,473 of 19,034
Think I heard a reindeer ........... sure I did?

Perhaps not.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #8,474 of 19,034

----

It’s not really about consumer vs commercial networks, although clearly some consumers have been mistaken in thinking a hidden SSID is enough without a password. It’s that hidden SSIDs lead to network traffic that makes your setup less secure. For example see here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/244181

Apologies of this is considered too off-topic but I think it’s worth helping the community avoid bad security practices! Happy to continue the discussion elsewhere if more appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back