Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 8, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #18,796 of 18,878
@trickyRoadsDummyTOOL can't comment on Mojo 2 but on Mojo OG USB port got wobbly after sometime and I highly doubt it went through all 10k plug/unplug cycles. Just my 2 cents. This is probably part of the reason why I keep Poly connected to Mojo 2 most of the time, another is that at home I have Roon core and it Poly works flawlessly with Roon (the only Poly setup apart from playing from SD card that worked flawlessly out of the box for me).
In fact, I do not disconnect both, too. I only used Mojo2 one month standalone, while I very often was thinking about not too much plugging/unplugging, because I do not 100%-trust any device giving 10,000 cycles, also because I want to use a device five years and longer. Even Poly is permanently connected, only switching on and off with a remotely controlled power outlet. In a paranoidic way I try to guarantee, not wobbling the cable into the device. So far, caution seems to pay out. But this static 360 seems to be a good solution.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #18,797 of 18,878
Given the advanced desktop mode on the Mojo2, I wonder it it isn't better just to keep it plugged in when not in use? Poly IIRC has battery management as well and is designed to be plugged in desktop mode.

The fear of batteries dying is greater than the actual battery dying. We torture our phones with constant charge and discharge cycles and get several years out of them. The poly battery receives relatively much better treatment.

May 8, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #18,798 of 18,878
Given the advanced desktop mode on the Mojo2, I wonder it it isn't better just to keep it plugged in when not in use? Poly IIRC has battery management as well and is designed to be plugged in desktop mode.

The fear of batteries dying is greater than the actual battery dying. We torture our phones with constant charge and discharge cycles and get several years out of them. The poly battery receives relatively much better treatment.
I think most of the battery-death-anxiety here stems from the relatively disastrous battery management of the original Mojo.
I've dealt a lot with lithium batteries in various contexts and it's all in the battery management algorithm: keep a sensible margin and the batteries will last for yonks but push it too far on charge or discharge and they're dead in no time.
Clearly Chord got this wrong on Mojo1 and their battery management didn't allow for the fact that people might keep the unit plugged in for extended periods, in effect using it in desktop mode. In the end, for all the (justifiable) plaudits it received, the big fat fly in the ointment of the Mojo1's reputation was the way it killed its batteries.

May 8, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #18,799 of 18,878
I just ordered a Mojo 2 + Poly and I'd like to know if:

- I can stream music app in lossless when I'm outside, with my mobile's wifi?

- I can continue to use my mobile while playing music from SD card, when outside?

I've read somewhere that it's possible..

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #18,800 of 18,878

- I can continue to use my mobile while playing music from SD card, when outside?

Yes and Yes

May 8, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #18,801 of 18,878

+1
As an addition, it comes in very handy to use remotely controlled power plug, switching on and off just by saying "hey Siri/person not controlled over the Internet/Alexa switch on/off POLY".

BTW, I do very much think noise traveling is inhibited when switching the power plug off, at least the difference between the two states is permanently acoustically noticeable in my case (should mean SQ rises).

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #18,802 of 18,878

Yes, but it's a pain to use them outside. It's more like a transportable desktop solution.

May 9, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #18,805 of 18,878

Yes and Yes

On the second point, here are my settings from an earlier post that allows you to browse the web, etc. while playing from the SD card:
Try these settings (based on an iPhone):

1) Set Poly to Hybrid Mode where Network is "Poly Hotspot Mode" and Play Mode is "Everything Else"

2) Set iPhone Settings => WiFi =>My Networks to "Poly-xxxxxx where my settings are:
IMG_0455.PNG

May 9, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #18,806 of 18,878
On the second point, here are my settings from an earlier post that allows you to browse the web, etc. while playing from the SD card:
Try these settings (based on an iPhone):

1) Set Poly to Hybrid Mode where Network is "Poly Hotspot Mode" and Play Mode is "Everything Else"

2) Set iPhone Settings => WiFi =>My Networks to "Poly-xxxxxx where my settings are:
IMG_0455.PNG
Thank you so much!! It will be very helpful!

May 9, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #18,807 of 18,878
Why? Disconnection problems?
When you need to put the music on pause for any reason and don’t play anything for a few mins, it will drop the hotspot connection and you will need to reconnect it again. It’s so annoying. It messed up my experience at Canjam when I was going to listen to different IEMs.
For outside I would strongly recommend to get a DAP.

May 9, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #18,808 of 18,878
I’ll give it a try, but if it’s not a labor of love, I’ll send it back within 14 days (I hate to do that). I could then consider Questyle’s CMA 18 P, which sound (apparently) as good, if not better, than Mojo 2 - Poly, but I’m afraid of over enthusiastic (until the next, newly released, device) reviews, messages,… and also battery’s life. Only one reseller in France as well.

May 9, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #18,810 of 18,878
The Poly needs a modern Bluetooth upgrade and a power switch. Then it could become a portable device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back