CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #22,577 of 26,000
I don't have a lot of female vocal but you might like Patricia Barber "Modern Cool" and there's Jessye Norman with the Strauss "Four Last Songs" to consider on the classical side.
Alright. Will give them a listen. Thanks.
Listen to Sarah McLachlan, amazing singer. For old school singing listen to Whitney Houston and for something soft listen to Dido, plenty of good music there. I also enjoy Jorja Smith, but she's polarizing, let me know what you think.
Ah yeah, Sarah McLachlan. I still love listening to her "Angel". Such a beautiful song. But I ought to listen to other songs from her. If they're as good in recording as Angel, I'll definitely listen more frequently.

And thanks too for Jorja Smith. I'll give it a look.

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #22,578 of 26,000
Alright. Will give them a listen. Thanks.

Ah yeah, Sarah McLachlan. I still love listening to her "Angel". Such a beautiful song. But I ought to listen to other songs from her. If they're as good in recording as Angel, I'll definitely listen more frequently.

And thanks too for Jorja Smith. I'll give it a look.
McLachlan’s live recording of Blackbird (McCartney) is something special

Female vocalists are my ‘thing’. Roon make discovering new artist a breeze. Select a track you like and it will keep recommending similar from other artists. You can thumbs up or down the choice to refine the selections to what you like best.

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #22,579 of 26,000
Listen to Sarah McLachlan, amazing singer. For old school singing listen to Whitney Houston and for something soft listen to Dido, plenty of good music there. I also enjoy Jorja Smith, but she's polarizing, let me know what you think.
You can't beat a bit of Dido, Sade, London Grammer or Dua!!

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #22,580 of 26,000
I have a question regarding the headphone mode of Dave. I know that, when connecting a headphone, the rear outputs go silent, but are they isolated through a relais or otherwise galvanically isolated when going silent? I want to know if an amp that is turned on and connected to the rear outputs would be able to alter the sound of the headphone output due to rf-noise and/or groundloops?

I did quite some measuring inside Dave for my planned modifications and made a simplified drawing which should be close to the circuit.

Once plugging in a headphone jack the line out is completely disconnected from the OP by a relay.

Line signal is exactly the same as HP out. HP out has actualy a shorter internal route than line out as it has one relay less to go through.
It might matter using a 6.3mm Jack to RCA cable to a amp instead of using the RCA's on the back.

Also i can say Dave OP impedance is not less than 2 ohms. The stated 0.x ohm impedance in the spec. is measured on the RCA pin while layed to ground with Dave switched off.

The 6x R resistors generate quite some heat btw warming up the PCB together with the LM's.

DAVE OP schematic.png

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #22,581 of 26,000
I did quite some measuring inside Dave for my planned modifications and made a simplified drawing which should be close to the circuit.

Once plugging in a headphone jack the line out is completely disconnected from the OP by a relay.

Line signal is exactly the same as HP out and has actualy a shorter internal route than line out as it has one relay less to go through.
It might matter using a 6.3mm Jack to RCA cable to a amp instead of using the RCA's on the back.

Also i can say Dave OP impedance is not less than 2 ohms. The stated 0.x ohm impedance in the spec. is measured on the RCA pin while layed to ground with Dave switched off.

The 6x R resistors generate quite some heat btw warming up the PCB together with the LM's.

DAVE OP schematic.png
Wow very impressive. Nice stuff.

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #22,582 of 26,000
Any recommendations for female vocals? I'm kinda running blind to what to look for. And I'm kinda bored of Adele's songs (been at them for a long long time already), no offence to the fans...

Depends on what you're looking for but check out Sia, Lana Del Rey, FKA Twigs, Ellie Goulding, Freya Ridings, etc. Older soul music is also really my thing, check out Aretha, Whitney, Patti LaBelle, Sade, Anita Baker, etc. to see if that floats your boat as well.

Female vocals is one of my favorite categories to listen to, and it just spans across so many genres and types of music. There's so much out there.

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #22,583 of 26,000
Any recommendations for female vocals? I'm kinda running blind to what to look for. And I'm kinda bored of Adele's songs (been at them for a long long time already), no offence to the fans...

Some good recommendations so far

To add a few others from my playlist.

AA Williams (If after intimate vocal try Songs from Isolation)
Emiliana Torrini (if you have watched Lord if the Rings you will have heard her)
Cat Power
Agnes Obel
Alison Krauss
Aoife O Donovan
Bic Runga
Cecile Mclorin Salvant
The Delines
Eva Cassidy
Fever Ray (aka Karin Dreijer, previously The Knife. Darkish, stark, moody Scandi pop might add Susanne Sundfør in as well for good measure.
Freya Ridings
Goldfrapp
Heidi Talbot
Holly Cole
Shelby Lynne
Karen Souza
Madeleine Peyroux
Heidi Happy
Melody Gardot
Sarah Jarosz
Ruth Moody
The Wailin Jenny's

Could really go on and on but the above probably get the most play time.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #22,585 of 26,000
I dont know the context of this reply but i think Rob means using DSD into HMS..

HMS outputs PCM to Dave so that should be set to PCM+

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #22,586 of 26,000
I could be wrong, but maybe the differences between PCM+ and DSD+ modes are negated when bypassing the WTA1 filter anyways with HMS input.

But I went looking for that comment from Rob Watts to see the context and couldn't find it, but search isn't always the best.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #22,587 of 26,000
I could be wrong, but maybe the differences between PCM+ and DSD+ modes are negated when bypassing the WTA1 filter anyways with HMS input.

But I went looking for that comment from Rob Watts to see the context and couldn't find it, but search isn't always the best.
Its a DM screenshot.

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #22,588 of 26,000
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #22,589 of 26,000

Line signal is exactly the same as HP out. HP out has actualy a shorter internal route than line out as it has one relay less to go through.

DAVE OP schematic.png
So cool. :)

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #22,590 of 26,000
Wanted to start the fight back against the desk shaming photos many post up here with their pristine uncluttered work surfaces. Here's a real desk! My desk! A working desk! :D :D :D :D

IMG_2398.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back