CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #9,242 of 26,000
Thanks. I could have the interconnects terminated with RCA plugs at the DAVE end and XLR plugs at the speaker end, so taking advantage of the DAVE's better quality and lower level single ended outputs. Having said that, I guess the op amps in the DAVE should be of a better quality than that in the ADAM, and that balanced would be the way to go.

Can I also assume that using the DAVE's volume control at the lower half (ie, below 50%) would not cause any loss in sound quality, since no bit decimation is utilised to control the volume?

Your Adam speakers are DSP controlled, so you have this situation:
- DAVE is one of the if not the best in analog conversion, especially when fed with Blu2.
- In the speakers the analog signal will be digitized again, DSP starts with a AD conversion.
- DSP is used to control the speakers in their time and frequency domain.
- Seperate DAC's for each chassis convert the signal to analog again, what a pity for DAVE!
- At the end there is a Class D amp for the woofer and an AB one for the main chassis

So there are 2 AD conversions (one AD in the recording studio or remastering process), 2 DAC's and amp's involved.
If you think about, you have a choice:
If you believe in DSP controlled speakers, you can feed them directly from a digital source, no need for DAVE.
When you think, like me, that a DAVE is more important and a much better DAC than the DSP engine, then you look for other and simpler speakers,
there is even a possibility to run efficient speakers directly from DAVE, an overwhelming experience.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #9,243 of 26,000
Hello Rob and all, I am considering using the DAVE connected directly to ADAM active speakers which have XLR inputs only. I understand that the speakers are fully balanced internally, with single ended input signals converted - using op amps - into a balanced signal prior to amplification.

Since the DAVE is inherently single ended, with the single ended output converted into balanced form using op amps, which would be the preferred connection configuration:

1. balanced from DAVE to speaker, using the DAVE's op amps; or

2. single ended from DAVE to speaker, using the speaker's op amps?

I suppose the other way to put the question would be whether the op amps in the DAVE would be of better quality than the op amps in the ADAM speakers for converting the single ended output from the DAVE into balanced form.

The other concern is that the balanced output of the DAVE is rather high - this was measured by Stereophile to be 8.75V from the balanced output jacks vs 4.375V from the single ended outputs - with the possibility of overloading the speaker inputs, although the speakers have an input gain adjustment of + / - 10 dB,

Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated.
I have my Dave driving Adam S1A monitors directly using XLR. Works perfectly.

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #9,244 of 26,000
Thanks!

The DCS Network bridge is nice, but it seems that the only way to get 384 kHz is using the dual XLR solution!? Anyone know if this is compatible with dual XLR on the Dave? And even if that is compatible you would still need a dual XLR on the yet to be announced separate M-Scalar and/or Davina to be able to use of the DCS with a M-Scalar and high-res DXD files.

Maybe better to get an Aries G2 instead, or wait and hope Chord releases a Dave compatible streamer ... hopefully with 802.11ac.

The Chord Poly is now out!

I wonder if anybody has tried running it into Dave... If so, your comments would be appreciated. Hope it turns out to be the giant killer to the dCS, running off its battery and disconnected from the mains.

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #9,245 of 26,000
Your Adam speakers are DSP controlled, so you have this situation:
- DAVE is one of the if not the best in analog conversion, especially when fed with Blu2.
- In the speakers the analog signal will be digitized again, DSP starts with a AD conversion.
- DSP is used to control the speakers in their time and frequency domain.
- Seperate DAC's for each chassis convert the signal to analog again, what a pity for DAVE!
- At the end there is a Class D amp for the woofer and an AB one for the main chassis

So there are 2 AD conversions (one AD in the recording studio or remastering process), 2 DAC's and amp's involved.
If you think about, you have a choice:
If you believe in DSP controlled speakers, you can feed them directly from a digital source, no need for DAVE.
When you think, like me, that a DAVE is more important and a much better DAC than the DSP engine, then you look for other and simpler speakers,
there is even a possibility to run efficient speakers directly from DAVE, an overwhelming experience.

Thanks and I understand the concern with the latest ADAM pro speakers with their built-in ADCs / DACs. One would not be making full use of the DAVE with such a pairing.

Fortunately, I will be using the Classic Column Mk3, mainly because of the superb X-ART (AMT based) tweeters and mids. These utilise analog crossovers only, without any DSP in sight.

I have my Dave driving Adam S1A monitors directly using XLR. Works perfectly.

Great, thanks.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #9,246 of 26,000
The Chord Poly is now out!

I wonder if anybody has tried running it into Dave... If so, your comments would be appreciated. Hope it turns out to be the giant killer to the dCS, running off its battery and disconnected from the mains.
Yes I was also thinking about the Poly, I am hopping Chord could basically put the Poly into a "normal chassis" add a good PSU; good antennas and 802.11ac and have the a stationary "2Connect" (or whatever they want to name it) i.e. like they did with the 2Qute. The poly seems ridiculously over specified for a mobile streamer to the Mojo.

Overengineering at its finest, that is why we love Chord, Frank and Rob. :)

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #9,247 of 26,000
Yes I was also thinking about the Poly, I am hopping Chord could basically put the Poly into a "normal chassis" add a good PSU; good antennas and 802.11ac and have the a stationary "2Connect" (or whatever they want to name it) i.e. like they did with the 2Qute. The poly seems ridiculously over specified for a mobile streamer to the Mojo.

Overengineering at its finest, that is why we love Chord, Frank and Rob. :)
Sorry guys it won’t be possible to use poly with anything other than a Mojo. As Poly reads usb back data from Mojo in order to enable itself. We will be bringing out a comparable unit for Dave and Hugo2 and even the TT too in due course.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #9,248 of 26,000
We will be bringing out a comparable unit for Dave and Hugo2 and even the TT too in due course.
Yay, streamer with built-in M-scaler confirmed!

:ksc75smile:

Now playing: Sasaki San - Spinach

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #9,249 of 26,000
Yay, streamer with built-in M-scaler confirmed!

:ksc75smile:

Now playing: Sasaki San - Spinach

Err, where did John Franks say anything about an MScaler in the projected streamer for the Dave?

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #9,250 of 26,000
TT just doesn't get the love :triportsad:

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #9,252 of 26,000
where's the m scaler in the streamer coming from javed?:smile_phones:

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #9,253 of 26,000
Err, where did John Franks say anything about an MScaler in the projected streamer for the Dave?

Hmm, as far as I can see absolutely nowhere?
That would of course be the ideal thing for many,and possibly even including me. But will it happen?
Meanwhile for a seasoned traveller like me with a very surprising new interest in rbcd discs having heard rbcd via BLU2/DAVE , DGG are about to release the perfect rbcd collection for people like me who really love travelling light.
The biggest ever rbcd boxed set containing everything Karajan recorded for both DGG and DECCA will soon be released by Universal containing 405 hours of music in a neat little box weighing in at 15kg!
When I think of that little cd-box set it kind of re-awakens my somewhat rusty love of HUGO and all my hi res music on neat little portable harddrives that easily fit in a pocket.
It is in Chord's power to make us happy. But will they? And if so, at what cost?
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #9,254 of 26,000
Hmm, as far as I can see absolutely nowhere?
That would of course be the ideal thing for many,and possibly even including me. But will it happen?
Meanwhile for a seasoned traveller like me with a very surprising new interest in rbcd discs having heard rbcd via BLU2/DAVE , DGG are about to release the perfect rbcd collection for people like me who really love travelling light.
The biggest ever rbcd boxed set containing everything Karajan recorded for both DGG and DECCA will soon be released by Universal containing 405 hours of music in a neat little box weighing in at 15kg!
When I think of that little cd-box set it kind of re-awakens my somewhat rusty love of HUGO and all my hi res music on neat little portable harddrives that easily fit in a pocket.
It is in Chord's power to make us happy. But will they? And if so, at what cost?
Cheers Christer

Wait a minute - if that is you admitting your conversion, then it is frankly not sufficiently clear! :k701smile:

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #9,255 of 26,000
Wait a minute - if that is you admitting your conversion, then it is frankly not sufficiently clear! :k701smile:
Sorry not done with that yet.I still need to listen under much better conditions than here in Singapore to become a convert if at all.A noisy coffeshop is "not really my cup of tea" for a valid evaluation.
Cheers Christer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back