CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 1, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #11,731 of 25,909
I hope so, some threads/posts say Dave is still King, others that say TT2+MScaler will be the better setup.

I just hope I have made the correct buying decision.

When I see posts that say Dave is still the boss, I think I should of got that instead, ( If I am honest, my hearing would probably not hear the difference between both setups) But then I think, Dave is just 1k more, and have I made the right decision.

Ahwell, time will tell.

The previous question was TT2+Mscaler vs DAVE+Mscaler. In that case the DAVE+Mscaler would still be boss. You asked DAVE alone vs TT2+Mscaler and for that comparison I would feel confident in your preorder.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #11,732 of 25,909
The previous question was TT2+Mscaler vs DAVE+Mscaler. In that case the DAVE+Mscaler would still be boss. You asked DAVE alone vs TT2+Mscaler and for that comparison I would feel confident in your preorder.

Yeah, no way could I afford dave and the mscaler.

I will no doubt love what I have ordered.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #11,733 of 25,909
The issue the the M Scaler brings to the party, both for the TT2 and the DAVE, is that it renders a good part of both of them redundant and unused. All the upsampling FPGA magic, all the inputs except BNC, become effectively redundant.

Long term though, perhaps the M Scaler opens up the possibility of a better DAC than the DAVE without upsampling, that will only work with the M Scaler, in a TT2 box. Maybe.

And btw does anyone know how the remote control will work? Do you need one remote control to change inputs on the M Scaler and another to change volume on the DAVE or TT2?

I think, the next dave/ina will have it inside, possibly 2 million taps ?

TT3 with mscaler inside ? Chord are savy, they will probably only put an mscaler in dave 2 or davina, big money and since they are a business and no doubt will act accordingly, tt3 probably wont have an mscaler inside.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #11,734 of 25,909
You people are putting me off my purchase of TT2 and MScaler.

Please stop, as I haven’t got another £1000 to buy Dave instead.
Just to make it more difficult for you: I LOVE my Blu2 as the CD playback combined with the mscaler function still produces the best SQ I have ever experienced.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #11,735 of 25,909
You people are putting me off my purchase of TT2 and MScaler.

Please stop, as I haven’t got another £1000 to buy Dave instead.
This excellent review is still relevant in approach if you substitute TT2 for Hugo 2, and it could be helpful explaining the technology.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-blu-mk-ii-digital-cd-transport.22848/reviews

To summarize, on it's own, DAVE is still the best Chord DAC. Any Chord DAC + Blu2 or m-scaler will be superior to DAVE alone. So TT2+m-scaler > Dave but BluDave or mScalerDave is still top dog. The unproven result I'm anxious to see is DAVE + Blu2 vs DAVE + m-scaler. The latter should be the new top dog by a hair. If you have properly addressed RF/ground plane "issues" on BluDave it should be a level playing field again.

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #11,736 of 25,909
Just to make it more difficult for you: I LOVE my Blu2 as the CD playback combined with the mscaler function still produces the best SQ I have ever experienced.

I don’t have much CD’s now, most of my library is stored on Harddrives. It’s been years since I have had to use a CD, I think the last time was when I installed windows 7. :)

This excellent review is still relevant in approach if you substitute TT2 for Hugo 2, and it could be helpful explaining the technology.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-blu-mk-ii-digital-cd-transport.22848/reviews

To summarize, on it's own, DAVE is still the best Chord DAC. Any Chord DAC + Blu2 or m-scaler will be superior to DAVE alone. So TT2+m-scaler > Dave but BluDave or mScalerDave is still top dog. The unproven result I'm anxious to see is DAVE + Blu2 vs DAVE + m-scaler. The latter should be the new top dog by a hair. If you have properly addressed RF/ground plane "issues" on BluDave it should be a level playing field again.

I just read that link.

I have Hugo 2, when I bought it I was weighing up the pro’s and con’s of H2 or HTT as I was originally needing a desktop dac.

If Dave came with an Mscaler, I would of grabbed that instead of TT2 and MS. I would of found that extra £1000, had dave+ms been priced at £8500.

I will cherish my new toys and treat them like they were a faberge egg.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #11,738 of 25,909
I bet if you go with TT2 + HMS, down the line you will be trading the TT for a DAVE and paying more overall in the long run. So cut your long term losses and just go for what goes for a permanent solution in this business.
Thrashing/trading is what really ends up costing a lot in audio. Nothing is cheaper than being settled and happy with what you started out with.

tl/dr; just get the DAVE and Mscaler and keep it for 20 years and you'll spend a lot less in the long run.

moral of the story: buy and hold. (Same goes for cars and maybe even stocks, but that's way off-topic, so please don't respond to this last comment.)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #11,739 of 25,909
You are cruel playing into this persons audio nervosa. :deadhorse:

TT2/mscaler or DAVE/mscaler, either will be just fine. If driving speakers or hard driven headphones direct you may consider more so the TT2/mscaler. But the good thing about DAVE is that it is available now, whereas the TT2, who knows???

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #11,740 of 25,909
I bet if go with TT2 + HMS, down the line you will be trading the TT for a DAVE and paying more overall in the long run. So cut your long term losses and just go for what goes for a permanent solution in this business.
Thrashing/trading is what really ends up costing a lot in audio. Nothing is cheaper than being settled and happy with what you started out with.

tl/dr; just get the DAVE and Mscaler and keep it for 20 years and you'll spend a lot less in the long run.

moral of the story: buy and hold. (Same goes for cars and maybe even stocks, but that's way off-topic, so please don't respond to this last comment.)

One possibility: Buy DAVE now and put down deposit for M Scaler. Gouge good price out of dealer for DAVE. M Scaler will take longer than Chord say - new products always do - so you’ll have time to save up the cash for the M Scaler while you enjoy your DAVE. If you wait for TT2 and M Scaler you won’t have anything nice to listen to meantime, you’ll probably have to wait until Christmas at least, and when they finally appear you’ll want the DAVE anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #11,741 of 25,909
One possibility: Buy DAVE now and put down deposit for M Scaler. Gouge good price out of dealer for DAVE. M Scaler will take longer than Chord say - new products always do - so you’ll have time to save up the cash for the M Scaler while you enjoy your DAVE. If you wait for TT2 and M Scaler you won’t have anything nice to listen to meantime, you’ll probably have to wait until Christmas at least, and when they finally appear you’ll want the DAVE anyway.

Option two. Buy a second hand but still perfect Dave and get an even better bargain.

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #11,742 of 25,909
I have 4K saved i'm not collecting gold eggs. I'm at a crossroads so the future is looking bright but not financially secure yet. I would value a dave above all else because i know in this pursuit you will always trade up to achieve a dave/mscaler. If i buy a TT2 and say by christmas i could add a scaler i would then trade in both for a new dave it's inevitable. Ultimately i just want to enjoy and relax streaming from roon and other sources. So do i get a TT2 paired with my OPPO PM1 and chill and not worry too much about what if. Do i push a little now and get a used dave (my preferred solution but handing over 5k on ebay seems horrendous and i have no one to help me here) or what about H2/Scaler. Now this is the most easily attainable but it doesn't seem complete as a unit. Battery powering the H2 into a scaler and oogling over the TT2 with scaler with a little extra push seems an awesome combo. However this reverts back to the original dilemma above. I also believe that the scaler was tuned for TT2 just check the form factor.

Finally why not a H2 with a state of the art headphone like utopia (even though i find it exceedingly hard to find cans that offer me comfort akin to clouds at 36,000 feet) and say goodbye to the scaler/upgrades and everything else. My oppo pm1 offers supreme comfort for a planar but could i do better. I could just add a sony mdr z1r to my mojo which has been described as a little beauty the mojo that is. So do nothing and embark on a journey into Europe and put my audiophile cravings to one side for now (now that would be a shame after 2 years on headfi which helped propel me into academic success) or......it seems a used dave would really satisfy me and worry about the scaler later but then handing over 5K on ebay seems horrendous. Just some thoughts...not all of us have a stash of faberge eggs..can do TT2 on its own now...cost no object mindset..lol

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #11,743 of 25,909
I have 4k saved i'm not collecting gold eggs. I'm at a crossroads so the future is looking bright but not financially secure yet. I would value a dave above all else because i know in this pursuit you will always trade up to achieve a dave/mscaler. If i buy a TT2 and say by christmas i could add a scaler i would then trade in both for a new dave it's inevitable. Ultimately i just want to enjoy and relax streaming from roon and other sources. So do i get a TT2 paired with my OPPO PM1 and chill and not worry too much about what if. Do i push a little now and get a used dave (my preferred solution but handing over 5k on ebay seems horrendous and i have no one to help me here) or what about H2/Scaler. Now this is the most easily attainable but it doesn't seem complete as a unit. Battery powering the H2 into a scaler and oogling over the TT2 with scaler with a little extra push seems an awesome combo. However this reverts back to the original dilemma above. I also believe that the scaler was tuned for TT2 just check the form factor.

Finally why not a H2 with a state of the art headphone like utopia (even though i find it exceedingly hard to find cans that offer me comfort akin to clouds at 36,000 feet) and say goodbye to the scaler/upgrades and everything else. My oppo pm1 offers supreme comfort for a planar but could i do better. I could just add a sony mdr z1r to my mojo which has been described as a little beauty. So do nothing and embark on a journey into eastern Europe in search of pale faced rusky beauties putting my audiophile cravings to one side for now (now that would be a shame after 2 years on headfi which helped propel me into academic success) or......it seems a used dave would really satisfy me and worry about the scaler later but then handing over 5k on ebay horrendous. Just some thoughts...not all of us has a stash of faberge eggs..can do TT2 on its own now...no cost no object mindset..lol

If i was you man i would drop the 4K on a TT2 pre order now then save more money to get M-Scaler later in the year or next year. You may be convinced DAVE is your endgame now but in a few years when R.Watts drops the successor to DAVE, everyone in the Chord threads will be dripping wet.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #11,744 of 25,909
I have 4K saved i'm not collecting gold eggs. I'm at a crossroads so the future is looking bright but not financially secure yet. I would value a dave above all else because i know in this pursuit you will always trade up to achieve a dave/mscaler. If i buy a TT2 and say by christmas i could add a scaler i would then trade in both for a new dave it's inevitable. Ultimately i just want to enjoy and relax streaming from roon and other sources. So do i get a TT2 paired with my OPPO PM1 and chill and not worry too much about what if. Do i push a little now and get a used dave (my preferred solution but handing over 5k on ebay seems horrendous and i have no one to help me here) or what about H2/Scaler. Now this is the most easily attainable but it doesn't seem complete as a unit. Battery powering the H2 into a scaler and oogling over the TT2 with scaler with a little extra push seems an awesome combo. However this reverts back to the original dilemma above. I also believe that the scaler was tuned for TT2 just check the form factor.

Finally why not a H2 with a state of the art headphone like utopia (even though i find it exceedingly hard to find cans that offer me comfort akin to clouds at 36,000 feet) and say goodbye to the scaler/upgrades and everything else. My oppo pm1 offers supreme comfort for a planar but could i do better. I could just add a sony mdr z1r to my mojo which has been described as a little beauty the mojo that is. So do nothing and embark on a journey into Europe and put my audiophile cravings to one side for now (now that would be a shame after 2 years on headfi which helped propel me into academic success) or......it seems a used dave would really satisfy me and worry about the scaler later but then handing over 5K on ebay seems horrendous. Just some thoughts...not all of us have a stash of faberge eggs..can do TT2 on its own now...cost no object mindset..lol

Come to Europe with your mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back