CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 25, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #20,866 of 25,918
I shipped a pair of tubes to the States earlier this month with DHL…utter catastrophe.
I ship stuff to the States every week with DHL. They are very reliable and normally it gets there in 2 or 3 days.

What was the problem with your shipment?

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #20,867 of 25,918
Ah yes, I have bought all of my Chord gear from Fanthorpes over many years and they are a good dealer.

Indeed I first heard the Innuos Statement in their room at the North West Audio show a few years ago when they did a similar demo hot switching between different streamers in the same system. It was a very compelling demonstration.

As it happens Sean Jacobs telephoned me this afternoon to have a chat and we talked about that demo with the two Statements. I think Sean always finds it interesting to hear the fruits of his designs because he designs as an engineer and does not rely on listening to sway his design. Indeed I think the first time he had heard his ARC6 power supply was when he came to my house and heard it powering my Dave.

I always try to deal with Marc whenever possible, in fact he's due to bring the new Luxman M10X down to me on Thursday, almost a 600 mile round trip for him, that's great customer service.

I'm seriously leaning towards the Arc6 over the Farad 3 box unit, a longer lead time and more expensive, but I feel it's the more elegant solution and certainly shouldn't lack anything in performance.

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #20,868 of 25,918
@Powersquat - yes.... Marc at Fanthorpes HiFi is an awesome guy and his Customer Service is outstanding. I recommend anyone in the UK to get in touch with him for their Audio requirements.

I can only amplify your sentiments, dealing with Marc Fanthorpe is a real pleasure, honesty, integrity and knowledgable are so important, and thankfully he's a really nice guy to boot.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #20,869 of 25,918
Dave arrived yesterday and hooked it up today w/MScaler. It is spectacular. Just about 5 hours on it. Sounds incredilble.
I still haven't figured out if there's a display Dim or not.
Now I can work on a new Espresso Machine/Grinder setup!

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #20,870 of 25,918
Dave arrived yesterday and hooked it up today w/MScaler. It is spectacular. Just about 5 hours on it. Sounds incredilble.
I still haven't figured out if there's a display Dim or not.
Now I can work on a new Espresso Machine/Grinder setup!
Put it in Display 4 and it will turn off after a few seconds

Jun 27, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #20,873 of 25,918
The older versions have all these options on remote. New is five buttons
You cant do more with the old remote on Dave..it has buttons for other components.. even a TV..

Of its 45 buttons i only use its standby one actually😄 Its the reason Chord changed it i guess

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #20,874 of 25,918
Thanks. I have no idea how to put it in different display modes.
Use the silver small button on the DAVE at 6 O’clock position under teh main volume knob. Press it repeatedly until the Display options is highlighted. Then use the 3 O’clock small button to scroll through until you get Display 4 showing. Thats it. Leave it alone and it will set to that after a few seconds.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #20,876 of 25,918
You cant do more with the old remote on Dave..it has buttons for other components.. even a TV..

Of its 45 buttons i only use its standby one actually😄 Its the reason Chord changed it i guess
Haha, well I never use standby so I don’t use that button on the remote. However I do use the volume control on the remote all the time.

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #20,877 of 25,918
I can only assume from the above that distance and optical connections between the Dave and mScaler work. Distance is a free upgrade, but really only possible with optical connections. Has any one tried 4 or 5 metre dual BNC cables?

5m BNC to BNC cables work fine - they perhaps sounded slightly better than 2m (regular quality 75 ohm cables), certainly no worse.

Talking of 5m, @Chester Rockwell recently messaged me that a 5m (yes five metres) of KableDirekt Toslink/Toslink plastic fibre cable worked perfectly with 192k. Intrigued I bought a set, and indeed it worked perfectly on my scaler. Moreover, it sounded identical to the 2m glass fibre Lifatec cable I use. Pretty amazing that a 5m £9.50 plastic fibre works perfectly at 192k. They also sell a 15m one - perhaps getting that to work at 192k is a step too far...

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #20,878 of 25,918
5m BNC to BNC cables work fine - they perhaps sounded slightly better than 2m (regular quality 75 ohm cables), certainly no worse.

Talking of 5m, @Chester Rockwell recently messaged me that a 5m (yes five metres) of KableDirekt Toslink/Toslink plastic fibre cable worked perfectly with 192k. Intrigued I bought a set, and indeed it worked perfectly on my scaler. Moreover, it sounded identical to the 2m glass fibre Lifatec cable I use. Pretty amazing that a 5m £9.50 plastic fibre works perfectly at 192k. They also sell a 15m one - perhaps getting that to work at 192k is a step too far...
It seems distance is not so much the limiting factor.. but tight fit and alignment of the plug is..

Are you using those to keep Mscaler at a distance?

Jun 27, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #20,879 of 25,918
It seems distance is not so much the limiting factor.. but tight fit and alignment of the plug is..

Are you using those to keep Mscaler at a distance?
No I got the 2m Lifatec for ease of usage within my lab. And I got the 5m KableDirekt to see if it would work. But 5m might be useful on recording sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back