CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #25,621 of 25,885
I have some very hard-to-drive headphones (though, not the Susvaras...) and have never heard an issue. Can you explain to me what the problem people hear is? Is it tight bass transients? Breaking up?
In one word: Authority.

Its the dynamic energy in the whole frequency spectrum. Dave's amp circuit is very capable but its not getting the stable power it needs to rumble and have grip on headphone drivers.

In stock form when playing and asking for instant current delivery from the PSU its not getting enough.

Its like a crane which one opens.. but theres few water pressure.

I drove Susvaras with astounding control with my capped Dave. External amps like this Enleum for example were no match for its direct output.

20231111_154656.jpg

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #25,622 of 25,885
In one word: Authority.

Its the dynamic energy in the whole frequency spectrum. Dave's amp circuit is very capable but its not getting the stable power it needs to rumble and have grip on headphone drivers.

In stock form when playing and asking for instant current delivery from the PSU its not getting enough.

Its like a crane which one opens.. but theres few water pressure.

I drove Susvaras with astounding control with my capped Dave. External amps like this Enleum for example were no match for its direct output.

20231111_154656.jpg
So basically if I drive easy to drive headphones with DAVE it's not a problem.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #25,623 of 25,885
Shurely not.
My HD800's are easy to drive and benefit hugely to out of this world

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #25,624 of 25,885

Yup. That's correct.

I've done a ton of comparisons and although there are some improvements in bass/timbre even for sensitive headphones, the differences are absolutely much more pronounced with headphones like the Susvara, TC, Expanse, etc.

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #25,625 of 25,885
Yup. That's correct.

I've done a ton of comparisons and although there are some improvements in bass/timbre even for sensitive headphones, the differences are absolutely much more pronounced with headphones like the Susvara, TC, Expanse, etc.
These problems are non-existent with the TT-2

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #25,626 of 25,885

That's pretty consistent with what I've heard, and it was so hard making a decision between the two personally. I wish I at least got the chance to hear it.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #25,627 of 25,885
That's pretty consistent with what I've heard, and it was so hard making a decision between the two personally. I wish I at least got the chance to hear it.
How does your Caldera sound directly out from the Dave? Forgive me if you spoke to this before.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #25,628 of 25,885
How does your Caldera sound directly out from the Dave? Forgive me if you spoke to this before.

No worries at all. I've only tried the Caldera and Expanse briefly, but the Caldera will fair well imo as it's just much easier to power well. Most of my comparisons with the Dave amp vs. amplifiers behind it have been with the Focal Utopia, Audio Technica ATH-L300, Susvara and TC. Very in depth time and comparisons on these, but only brief comparisons otherwise. But it simply does better with headphones that aren't really hard to power.

To be very honest, from a cost standpoint alone I'd probably just stick with the Dave unless you have a harder to drive headphone or are interested in the most optimal performance give a premium to pay for it. Which for TOTL headphones I think many of us (including myself) are willing to pay for when paying thousands for headphones. But the Dave's amp for easier to power headphones is a high value as well.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #25,629 of 25,885
No worries at all. I've only tried the Caldera and Expanse briefly, but the Caldera will fair well imo as it's just much easier to power well. Most of my comparisons with the Dave amp vs. amplifiers behind it have been with the Focal Utopia, Audio Technica ATH-L300, Susvara and TC. Very in depth time and comparisons on these, but only brief comparisons otherwise. But it simply does better with headphones that aren't really hard to power.

To be very honest, from a cost standpoint alone I'd probably just stick with the Dave unless you have a harder to drive headphone or are interested in the most optimal performance give a premium to pay for it. Which for TOTL headphones I think many of us (including myself) are willing to pay for when paying thousands for headphones. But the Dave's amp for easier to power headphones is a high value as well.
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm running the MDave with the BHSE and Synthesis A40 for 2 channel primarily. Looking for a syngerstic non e-stat to match with the Dave when I want to escape from the estat. At a most recent meet I had the opportunity to listen to the Susvara, Sony ZR1, Abyss Diana MR and my very own Hifiman R10D. The quick listen, I really enjoyed the Diana MR for my music taste. Did listen to the Caldera on a another amp.

Ironically, at the moment, I'm listening to the Hifiman R10D via the MC --> MOJO and crazy I prefer this over the Dave. I cannot explain it.

Mar 3, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #25,630 of 25,885
Indeed for the powerfeed to TT2's amp section. Its power section with supercaps make shure of it.

Now imagine this combined with Dave's transpareny and depth properties. Thats what i listen to with the mods. Utter mindblowing realism. :)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #25,631 of 25,885
I’ve stated this before but I never liked the sound of Dave via headphones even preferring my Hugo2 over it UNTIL I did the cap mod on Dave.

My headphones are Meze Elite and Focal Stellia so not hard to drive at all but stock Dave could not get the best from them.

Could not be happier with the headphones out on Dave now.

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #25,632 of 25,885
Regarding talk about the headphone amp, I wonder if this is the reason why listening at lower levels can sometimes give a great session, im listening to my ether 2 at -25 and it’s a bit quiet but a lot of the other interesting aspects of the music are easier to appreciate.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #25,633 of 25,885
Yup. That's correct.

With all your comparisons, do you have a recommendation for a totally (as best as possible) transparent headphone amp that will preserve the sound of the Dave headphone amp but drive low sensitivity headphones better?

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #25,634 of 25,885
With all your comparisons, do you have a recommendation for a totally (as best as possible) transparent headphone amp that will preserve the sound of the Dave headphone amp but drive low sensitivity headphones better?
I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I've been impressed with the transparency of the Zahl HM1 direct from Dave to drive HPs like the TC, Valkyria, and SR1a (through its interface box).

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #25,635 of 25,885
transparency is over rated, just sayin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back