Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #16,847 of 22,537
I stand corrected I had read they were lighter but apparently

I stand corrected. The higher weight is in relation to the LCD-4s.

Do you feel that the H2 will still not be able to power the 4z sufficiently?
DOUBT IT

listened to 4Z via Kann Cube balanced which is more powerful than H2... was not great.

4Z VIA TT2/Mscaler next level amazing... switch to DAP and falls apart... don't think any DAP can really power the 4Z properly to get their meaty "special effect". Once you hear it from the TT2/MSC game over.

LCD 24 much better via DAP as it is brighter than 4Z and bass sig is similar but less meat... due to being brighter it retains a great organic sig throughout all freq ranges on a DAP.

dont listen to the DAP only guys... they know not what they speak.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #16,848 of 22,537
I stand corrected. The higher weight is in relation to the LCD-4s.

Do you think that the H2 will still not be able to power the 4z sufficiently?
I think for the 4z it is probably enough, but I would suggest to try them from full sized desktop gear too and see which one you prefer. TT2 definitely lifts them to another level.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #16,850 of 22,537
DOUBT IT

listened to 4Z via Kann Cube balanced which is more powerful than H2... was not great.

4Z VIA TT2/Mscaler next level amazing... switch to DAP and falls apart... don't think any DAP can really power the 4Z properly to get their meaty "special effect". Once you hear it from the TT2/MSC game over.
Unfortunately I need the portability of the H2
then get the LCD 24 NOT the 4Z for portable use.

you will be very happy.

and LCD 24 scales wonderfully with a desktop system.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #16,853 of 22,537
For portable use H2 is your best option. Just bear in mind that there is probably still some potential left in your 4z.
some potential? this is a MASSIVE understatement.

you have no idea what the real sound sig of the 4Z is until you try tt2/msc.

you are wasting you $ if using 4Z on H2 alone. Period.

sell it... get LCD 24.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #16,855 of 22,537
Well already got the 4z so not about to change lol. Will see how it goes and will try once the H2 arrives. worst case scenario I can always upgrade the DAC amp later

Some people will always insist a bigger amp is better no matter what. I've heard the 4Z on a couple different setups and the Hugo2 sounded fantastic.

Just enjoy the music when it arrives, it'll sound great.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #16,856 of 22,537
Some people will always insist a bigger amp is better no matter what. I've heard the 4Z on a couple different setups and the Hugo2 sounded fantastic.

Just enjoy the music when it arrives, it'll sound great.
Definitely what I plan to do. Especially when every review of this combo and other threads are confirming the same thing. What I really want is to get that musicality with the resolution and I’m certain that either way the H2 will sound better than the HA-2SE (not to put the Oppo down at all)

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #16,857 of 22,537
From my perspective the Hugo₂ is an excellent source and amp for headphones like the Audeze 4z (just relying on the specs). That doesn't mean there's no potential for improvements (DAVE, TT₂...), but given the need for a portable solution (not to speak of the budget), I can't imagine anything that's more suitable.

BTW, my HE1000se driven by the Hugo₂ sounds wonderful. (The same applies to the HD 800.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #16,858 of 22,537
From my perspective the Hugo₂ is an excellent source and amp for headphones like the Audeze 4z (just relying on the specs). That doesn't mean there's no potential for improvements (DAVE, TT₂...), but given the need for a portable solution (not to speak of the budget), I can't imagine anything that's more suitable.

BTW, my HE1000se driven by the Hugo₂ sounds wonderful. (The same applies to the HD 800.)

Hugo 2 is best DAC at this price, or anywhere near it. Nothing wrong with pairing a £4K set of headphones with it.

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #16,859 of 22,537

I see you have the Shure SE846s. What are you powering them with and how do you find them?

I apologise if this is not the correct forum I ask because I am looking into an Dragonfly cobalt se 846 combo for air travel etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back