Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 1, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #17,101 of 22,537
Thanks well explained i always imagined 2go must be a roon endpoint so i wonder if it's roon ready.

Em has gone..:frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #17,103 of 22,537
Why do you stress copper?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #17,105 of 22,537
Oct 1, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #17,106 of 22,537
I have fibre optic so is that the same as optical ethernet?

Oct 1, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #17,107 of 22,537

No, it isn't the same thing. The optical ethernet uses a pair of optical cables between the router and the device (streamer, pc etc) within the house. I have optical to ethernet convertors at each and of the optical cable.

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #17,108 of 22,537

You have fibre optic internet you mean, coming to your front door? That's becoming more common of course.

I have that but I also have fibre optic cable running through my house for my LAN also...

There are also DACs that feature optical network input (from a suitable switch) directly...

Lumin X1:

upload_2019-10-1_18-33-48.png

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #17,109 of 22,537
Optical network vs network input so what differences in the performance of the dac? quicker streaming?? ok so what difference would i hear in an acoustic guitar track?

Optical Network provides complete isolation from network digital noise.

£11,595.00 including 2 sabre dac chips off the shelf.
i'll pass and take a dave/hms for the same amount.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #17,110 of 22,537
Optical network vs network input so what differences in the performance of the dac? quicker streaming??

No, nothing to do with quicker streaming. Both can support PCM768kHz / DSD512 with ease.

ok so what difference would i hear in an acoustic guitar track?

Can you hear any differences between USB input (which is already galvanically isolated) vs TOSlink (optical) input with your setup?

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #17,111 of 22,537
12K for a couple of sabre chips implemented in a fancy manner.......i'm doing my best to remain civil here.:astonished:

i use dual bnc input on my tt2 (with mscaler) and compared to optical/usb RBCD a massive difference. But usb vs optical is more or less identical on hugo 2 with RBCD. Not tested on tt2 but i would guess similar results as for hugo 2.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #17,112 of 22,537
Finally trying TT2 direct with speakers, using RCA connection. Speakers are 6ohm, 86dB sensitivity. (At 6 ohm, I probably have 8W power, rather than 7W at 8ohms.)

In high gain mode.

Volumes:
-25 to -20, is about where I would listen normally with music.
0 is loud enough for any music I think.
about -8 seems to be loud enough for steaming from Amazon Prime. (Might need a touch more for even quieter programs or moments.)

For point of reference is this relates to Hugo 2 users. Blue which is about 2.0 to 2.5V line level out on Hugo 2/Mojo, is about -8 on the TT2. However I do not know if the voltages are the same at the same colours. (The numbers are just a scale that the TT2 shows when changing volume. It runs from about -72 to +22.

Yes it is another step clearer without amplifier and RCA interconnect in the chain. However my makeshift adaptors are not insulated at all, and overall I could make a lot better job of them. I could buy some speaker cable to make the adapters with, which would match my existing speaker cable. At the moment I am using bits of regular old copper wire. There is still a lift in detail and transients though.

I am honestly not sure what I am going to do. I run an amplifier because I sometimes run a Qutest for gaming or YouTube. Meaning I generally reserve TT2 for music only, although I quite often use TT2 for everything.

Also I have a DAB radio which I can attach to TT2 or Qutest, which I do. I sometimes run the DAB though RCA to the amp though, just to save on running a DAC. Having TT2 powering speakers means taking out the amplifier though.

I could comfortably manage with this much volume. I think even very quiet games or video, would still come with plenty of volume from the TT2. However it does feel odd turning the TT2 up from zero volume at -73 to e.g. -18 to play music. It might be better to go the balanced route, for a more normal volume range. The balanced option might cause more heat though. Plus I didn't know yet how hot the TT2 could get in single ended mode. Mostly though it looks like my speakers are running on less power than TT2 line level. I am most likely wrong though.

I also wonder about using the top end of the TT2, although this is not at the top end of volume. Only because normal integrated amplifiers often sound best in their first half of volume control. When amps get loud they can harden up in the sound, but I doubt this applies to the TT2. Since the TT2 is meant to drive difficult load headphones. These loads have been reported running the TT2 at +5 and a bit more, so nearer the top end than my speakers need. Honestly 0 on the volume is loud in my smallish TT2 room.

It's about weighing up the sound. Unless building better connectors, or buying Atlas Cable cables, improves sound. A better amplifier and better RCA might do the same. I would need to listen much more to determine that though. There is quite a lot more detail.

I want to check out how bass sounds and what it's like when the volume goes up. Meaning if it runs out of power in the bass, as some have claimed lack of bass driving speakers.

Using the TT2 in DAC mode and with headphones on the volume wheel feels normal. It's tempting to go with the better amp option. Direct driving has that 'oh so, it sounds right' feel to it though. Even with my amp though, the sound was really nice.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #17,113 of 22,537
Good luck there and nice update.

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #17,115 of 22,537
Copy and paste and just write hello here or something in the space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back