Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 15, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #7,111 of 22,510
hugo can rule the roost on the go too, just saying.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #7,112 of 22,510
hugo can rule the roost on the go too, just saying.
Yes, but then I have no need for the Mojo.
I am also keeping in mind the long term scenario, that maybe the TT2 could become the home solution, with the H2 relegated to the mobile solution - but again that would leave no place for the Mojo.
Both scenarios would need me to be happy walking around in public, with a DAC worth the best part of €2500 and iems worth the best part of €1000, and hoping I don't get mugged.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #7,113 of 22,510
very true i often considered sitting in an empty train carriage late at night on a long journey only to have my hugo 2 forcibly taken of me. its a home desktop solution for me. if i worked in an office then i could use it there but i don't. i will eventually find a solution for mobility but virtually all my listening is at home right now.

for endgame: i clicked on the tidal update and all is fine now. i did an instant a/b with exclusive mode on and off and instantly the sound is more energetic and alive with it on. not placebo otherwise exclusive mode would be pointless i believe. i'm seriously considering sticking to the native tidal app. flac is as good as it gets and the layout is nice. we'll see. i sent tidal pages of code from within my mba at their instruction. i have no programming knowledge. i wonder if my contribution helped in the the larger framework that constitutes tidal and the remedy of the bug. big stuff lol.:deadhorse::deadhorse:

listening to instant crush and give life back to music by daft punk. lovely

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #7,114 of 22,510
I want to use a reference qed quartz optical cable for my Chord 2 qute instead of this bog standard cable I'm using, I've read if the 0 and 1 s get through then it can't be improved, not sure if I'm gonna be wasting my money or not?

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #7,115 of 22,510
i use a 30 pound forest audioquest micro usb. no need for more because there will be no difference. maybe expensive cables mask deficiencies in lower quality dacs? i go with my instinct.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #7,117 of 22,510
surely that difference is an addition or substraction from the intended sound of the dac. so a good cable would be fully transparent not altering the intended sound of the dac in any way so then you know you have a stellar dac like H2 for which cables make zero difference to its sound quality.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #7,118 of 22,510
surely that difference is an addition or substraction from the intended sound of the dac. so a good cable would be fully transparent not altering the intended sound of the dac in any way so then you know you have a stellar dac like H2 for which cables make zero difference to its sound quality.
So does the dac correct the jitter that maybe a cable can cause?

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #7,119 of 22,510
I am curious about the Hugo2 vs Holo Spring DAC. Has anyone compared those?

I own a Holo Spring DAC, and I have heard the Hugo2. I would not say the two are really comparable.
Both DACs sound amazing, there is no way around that, however to me, that take a completely different approach to what good sound means.

The Spring, is an honest DAC with a realistic representation, i.e. there are some recordings that sound better than others, and there are also bad recordings that sound bad.
The Hugo2 on the other hand, is the most pleasing sound I have ever heard! Everything is silky smooth, from the highest treble to the lowest bass, smooth is the word that keeps coming to my mind. I never knew there was such as thing as smooth bass, but now that I have heard it, I know it exists.

To me, the Hugo2 is 100% enjoyment. It like chocolate pudding, so sweet, smooth and pleasing. The Spring is like an exotic dish (i.e. not dessert), you get many acute flavors, some more preferable than others. The Spring is very down to earth, where as the Hugo2 sounds like you are floating in the sky with clouds.

There's no real right or wrong with either, only preference. Of course, back in world we live in, the Hugo2 is more expensive than the Spring which is something to consider :L3000:.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #7,120 of 22,510
great summary zgo very interesting as i had considered the holo against hugo 2. i was going to run it into an earmax pro tube amp which i have now sold. h2 won in the end.

a good well made cable (can be had for 20-30 pounds) should not cause jitter as it would be a deficiency in the timing of the source from where the digital stream is originating. in any case the H2 is immune to jitter (SOTA design) and this is proven by the fact that optical sounds identical to usb. (i'm assuming here that a lack of galvanic isolation could result and contribute to an increase in measured jitter i may need correcting here as my knowledge is basic.) (a 10k cable would not correct bad jitter if the source from where the digital bits originated was flawed to start with i think).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #7,121 of 22,510
great summary zgo very interesting as i had considered the holo against hugo 2. i was going to run it into an earmax pro tube amp which i have now sold. h2 won in the end.

a good well made cable (can be had for 20-30 pounds) should not cause jitter as it would be a deficiency in the timing of the source from where the digital stream is originating. in any case the H2 is immune to jitter (SOTA design) and this is proven by the fact that optical sounds identical to usb. (i'm assuming here that a lack of galvanic isolation could result and contribute to an increase in measured jitter i may need correcting here as my knowledge is basic.) (a 10k cable would not correct bad jitter if the source from where the digital bits originated was flawed to start with i think).
OK mate thanks for that, wasted thousands then

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #7,122 of 22,510
but if the source component is top quality then a top quality cable constructed correctly within the correct international agreed standards and protocols for its type would by reason bring out the very best qualities of your components. i think one should be vigilant in the cable market. i am not an authority on this i'm just firing off ideas. please do not take it as gospel. i'm sure your cables are top notch.:electric_plug::electric_plug::electric_plug: lol.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #7,123 of 22,510
I got out my Raspberry Pi again. I have two linear PSUs respectively powering the iUSB 3.0 and the RPi.

Hey there,

Glad to see you are using a Pi :)
What kind of OS is running on your Pi?
I am quite happy with Volumio 2.166 on my Odroids (C1+ and C0)

BTW the Odroids are supposed to be better suited for network streaming, since the full size models like my C1+ or the newer C2 have separate buses for USB and Ethernet. They also offer an EMMC option to have the OS on EMMC and music on microSD

Maybe you'd like to try out for what is essentialy spare change in our hobby :wink:

Cheers

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #7,124 of 22,510
i use a 30 pound forest audioquest micro usb. no need for more because there will be no difference. maybe expensive cables mask deficiencies in lower quality dacs? i go with my instinct.

Gotta disagree with you that cables make no difference with Hugo 2.

I had the Cinnamon Micro-usb, the next step up from the Forest, and found it to be lively and energetic but a little too fatiguing in the long run. Tried the grey Micro-usb cable that came with Hugo 2 and in comparison it was warmer and smoother but also more veiled and lacked dynamics in comparison. Then I tried the stock Micro-usb cable that came with Mojo and that one sounded better than the grey cable but still fell short of the PRaT that the Cinnamon delivered. Finally, I settled on the Micro-usb Curious cable and that one was the best cable I have heard so far. It retains the analog warmth and smoothness of the stock Mojo cable but also improves upon the Cinnamon's PraT without sounding bright and shoving details in your face, the best of both worlds really. The Curious is smooth, dynamic, and insightful; I have about 90 hours on it and it has been improving over time.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #7,125 of 22,510
i don't believe that a 10 thousand pound usb cable vs a 1 pound usb cable makes a difference with hugo 2. the design of H2 exhibits near enough complete immunity to jitter. i do believe expensive cables make a difference with some other dacs. differing opinions make the discussions here more interesting. also optical sounds identical to usb on H2. From my simple tests.:satellite::satellite::satellite:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back