Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 19, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #8,941 of 22,527
My impression is that KEF LS50 wireless would digitize any analogue input. I would if it makes any sense using DAC (especially the awesome Hugo2) with them.

It would not make sense to use an external dac with any of the digital inputs (Wi-Fi, optical. Roon endpoint) but there are analog RCA inputs you would use with Hugo2. Looks like they have a lot of flexibility, too. If only they had a digital output you could feed Hugo2 and then back into the analog inputs!

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #8,942 of 22,527
My impression is that KEF LS50 wireless would digitize any analogue input. I would if it makes any sense using DAC (especially the awesome Hugo2) with them.

The issue is that if you choose any active speakers that are just speakers and nothing else, then the build in amp of the speakers would end up colouring the sound of the Hugo 2 in a way that you have to worry about the synergy between the Hugo 2 and the speakers, and if you don't like that synergy, you'll be on the path again to build a system around that pair of speakers having to find it another source component to feed analogue signal into the speakers, so there's a potential hidden cost and risk associated with going that path.

At least for the KEF LS50 Wireless with the build in DAC and amp their entire chain is arleady fully matched and tuned, so even if you end up not liking the Hugo 2/KEF pairing and find the extra ADC stage unsatisfying, you still have a great stand alone system in the KEF that would work all by itself. The KEF is also infinitely tweakable regarding things like positions/wall reflection/sound attenuation etc and takes in many digital sources. Those are advantages that IMO makes the ADC issue much less having to worry about.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #8,943 of 22,527
I believe that a three-way comparison would be interesting:
1) Hugo2 > KEF LS50 wireless
2) KEF LS50 wireless alone
3) Hugo2 > Omega speakers (cf. ray-dude's enthusiastic impression)

Alas, no way I could even begin to approach this.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #8,944 of 22,527
seconded. thought the same exact thing and they are perfect for plugging H2 directly into.
I own both LS50 wireless and Hugo2. I assumed there was no benefit in using the H2 as the LS50s have their own DAC, which I rightly/wrongly thought would 'take over' from the H2. Any clarification would be appreciated.
BTW using Roon with Tidal and NAS through LS50 sounds great already.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #8,945 of 22,527
I’m really interested in checking these speakers out more long term.
i first heard them at the local 'headphone bar' about 6 mo ago and admittedly I was't that impressed
(very bried listening period, ie 1 song)
but the reviews from owners (some have even tossed out their 10k systems) are overwhelmingly positive.

currently im using a naim muso as all in one an dmiss the 2.1 separation.
with desktop am using focal alpha 50s, roon, tidal, mojo as preamp/dac and a microrendu now...
would also be interested to find if one can override the dacs in them: seems there is one DAC per speaker ... eg perhaps to try a mojo or hugo2...
I love the simplicity of actives.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #8,947 of 22,527
It has a digital DSP for the crossover, so my understanding is that the analogue input is via an ADC, then the DSP for the crossover, then the DAC, all presumably running at 192kHz. Then you have a Class D amp for the bass/midrange...

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #8,950 of 22,527
Thank you, that link is exactly where I remember reading this.
However, this is totally off topic, for H2, just didn't want anybody expecting to hear H2 goodness with LS50 actives. If you want to go active speaker route with H2 you need a totally analogue active speaker. I believe this has been discussed recently on The Dave thread for those who are pursuing this option. For me the H2 with Stax 009s through a KGSShv Carbon is as good as I have heard reproduced music in the last fifty years.YMMV.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #8,951 of 22,527
Please, I need to ask, even though it will have been already answered.

I am wondering about the Hugo 2 tap length (statistics). ...

I have read that the Hugo 2 tap statistic is Tap-length: 49,152.
The Chord Hugo TT has - 26K tap-length filter

This makes the Hugo 2 look technically better. However what I am wondering is, are the Hugo 2 taps running at about half speed of the (Hugo and) Hugo TT. (I can't be sure if I read that, or I am getting mixed up with Mojo, or what really.)

Sorry as I bet this has already been discussed. However I can't find the search this thread function, since the website was updated.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #8,952 of 22,527
Please, I need to ask, even though it will have been already answered.

I am wondering about the Hugo 2 tap length (statistics). ...

I have read that the Hugo 2 tap statistic is Tap-length: 49,152.
The Chord Hugo TT has - 26K tap-length filter

This makes the Hugo 2 look technically better. However what I am wondering is, are the Hugo 2 taps running at about half speed of the (Hugo and) Hugo TT. (I can't be sure if I read that, or I am getting mixed up with Mojo, or what really.)

Sorry as I bet this has already been discussed. However I can't find the search this thread function, since the website was updated.
It's Mojo that's running at half-speed. The TT has 26,000 taps, but larger caps.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #8,953 of 22,527
However I can't find the search this thread function, since the website was updated.

You use the main search box on the upper right of the page and just need to check the box that says ‘Search This Thread Only’.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #8,954 of 22,527
wow, just wow.. H2 sounds glorious with Focal Utopia, more than enough power. I was a little worried getting this over Sennheiser HDV 820 but I'm perfectly fine until i get a more power hungry headphone. I'm done searching for my desktop and mobile rig.. thanks to everyone that helped me with my purchase decision.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #8,955 of 22,527
I own both LS50 wireless and Hugo2. I assumed there was no benefit in using the H2 as the LS50s have their own DAC, which I rightly/wrongly thought would 'take over' from the H2. Any clarification would be appreciated.
BTW using Roon with Tidal and NAS through LS50 sounds great already.

I’m really interested in checking these speakers out more long term.
i first heard them at the local 'headphone bar' about 6 mo ago and admittedly I was't that impressed
(very bried listening period, ie 1 song)
but the reviews from owners (some have even tossed out their 10k systems) are overwhelmingly positive.

I am blown away by the LS50W

I added KEF Kube2 subwoofer.

Gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back