Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #12,046 of 22,511
I didn't read all 803 pages, so I'll just pose my question: am I the only one who finds that the filter button makes very little audible difference? I'm not sure it makes any difference at all. I wonder if my unit is defective.
You’re not alone. I can’t hear that big of a difference in the filters either. The changes in the crossfeed are a lot more audible to my ears.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #12,047 of 22,511
I didn't get any benefit using the ISO-Regen. But in a bid to tame brightness in my speaker rig (headphone out was fine). I decided to switch inputs. With an SU-1 to coaxial, the brightness tamed down and I'm a lot happier. I never tried ferrites, wish I did though, might have done as good a job for peanuts. Oh well.

Thanks! That's interesting.... With my old MDAC plus the Iso Regen made enough difference to keep. Perhaps this will change with the H2.

Look forward to testing with and without when my Hugo arrives.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #12,048 of 22,511
I only got Hugo 1, how big difference in sound quality of Hugo 2 compared to it?!

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #12,049 of 22,511
I only got Hugo 1, how big difference in sound quality of Hugo 2 compared to it?!

I owned the mojo and Hugo2, and have auditioned the Hugo1.

To me, the Hugo1 just sounds like a sharper and brighter mojo, but the Hugo2 is something entirely different.
If I heard both blind, I wouldn't of guessed the two to be related at all...

That said, it's best for you to find out yourself :gs1000smile:

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #12,050 of 22,511
You’re not alone. I can’t hear that big of a difference in the filters either. The changes in the crossfeed are a lot more audible to my ears.

+1

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #12,051 of 22,511
Thanks mate. Already raised the flag earlier today with the dealer because I know my chain is bit perfect capable at 192kHz over Toslink, with my Hugo2 and other DACs, so it didn’t take long to realise something was wrong. I still went through all other suggestions just to be thorough.

And I’ve just now emailed Chord Support.

I’m sure all will be resolved quickly.
I’m looking forward to a quick resolution so I can enjoy the sound over Toslink up to 192kHz like I was enjoying Hugo2 and Mojo.

Just an update on this, that may be helpful for anyone primarily using Toslink (up to 192kHz), that upgrades from Hugo2 to Dave, like I've recently done.

Hopefully this post over in Dave thread helps.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-713#post-14168076

By the way, it is well and truely worth the upgrade in SQ (obviously).

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #12,052 of 22,511
I didn't read all 803 pages, so I'll just pose my question: am I the only one who finds that the filter button makes very little audible difference? I'm not sure it makes any difference at all. I wonder if my unit is defective.
No you are not the only one; some find it v small, some find it much larger a difference. And it depends upon the source;so the HF filter is not there for 44.1, but 96k and 192k, when you will hear a bigger change. Also, the type of music plays a big part; so the 16FS filter to 256FS filter it is easier to hear with piano music; you can hear the starting and stopping of the notes much more easily. Also, its an effect that is easier to hear when just playing music, rather than AB listening.

Once I was listening on a flight,and the music sounded soft and lacking edge. I thought it was my ears; but half way through the flight I noticed it was on red. Switched to green, and the sharpness of the edges reappeared immediately; you could hear notes starting properly. And over extended listening it is very much more obvious.

As to your unit working - if the lights are changing,then this for sure means the filters are functioning, as the lights are controlled directly from the FPGA. Its impossible for it not to be working - as failure would be indicated by nothing at all happening.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #12,053 of 22,511
No you are not the only one; some find it v small, some find it much larger a difference. And it depends upon the source;so the HF filter is not there for 44.1, but 96k and 192k, when you will hear a bigger change. Also, the type of music plays a big part; so the 16FS filter to 256FS filter it is easier to hear with piano music; you can hear the starting and stopping of the notes much more easily. Also, its an effect that is easier to hear when just playing music, rather than AB listening.

Once I was listening on a flight,and the music sounded soft and lacking edge. I thought it was my ears; but half way through the flight I noticed it was on red. Switched to green, and the sharpness of the edges reappeared immediately; you could hear notes starting properly. And over extended listening it is very much more obvious.

As to your unit working - if the lights are changing,then this for sure means the filters are functioning, as the lights are controlled directly from the FPGA. Its impossible for it not to be working - as failure would be indicated by nothing at all happening.

Thank you for the reply.

My filter light does change. At 44.1k, would it be accurate to say that the effect of the filters is small enough that I shouldn't bother using them? I generally leave it on neutral and have been happy with the results.

I do find that the x-feed makes a significant audible difference, and some tracks benefit from x-feed.

Thank you also for designing such excellent products! Though I started very skeptical that DAC/amps make a significant difference, I compared the little Mojo to the big $4500 McIntosh MHA150 and liked the Mojo better. That got me thinking that maybe Chord products have some magic, so I tried the Hugo 2 and liked it even more than the Mojo (to my ears, while the Mojo is excellent, the improvement with the Hugo 2 is very noticeable).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #12,054 of 22,511
Thank you for the reply.

My filter light does change. At 44.1k, would it be accurate to say that the effect of the filters is small enough that I shouldn't bother using them? I generally leave it on neutral and have been happy with the results.

I do find that the x-feed makes a significant audible difference, and some tracks benefit from x-feed.

Thank you also for designing such excellent products! Though I started very skeptical that DAC/amps make a significant difference, I compared the little Mojo to the big $4500 McIntosh MHA150 and liked the Mojo better. That got me thinking that maybe Chord products have some magic, so I tried the Hugo 2 and liked it even more than the Mojo (to my ears, while the Mojo is excellent, the improvement with the Hugo 2 is very noticeable).
Crossfeed is an obvious, slap-in-the-face effect. The filters aren't so blatant. I can hear a difference between the 256FS vs 16FS, but not so much from white to green; I don't bother with orange/red. Listen to the attack of some drum sounds, for example, or the low notes in a solo piano. I tend to hear a less defined image and placement of the piano notes using the orange/red filters.
As for the green/red ones, I may be a bit too old to notice a change. I think I do, but it might just be my reacting to suggestion. I generally leave it on white, and enjoy.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #12,055 of 22,511
I have both, not yet being able to sell H1. The difference is major. Richer, deeper, and all those other vague adjectives I can think of. Hugo2 really improves on a great step forward, that was the original. I feel as though there's more room in front of me when listening than the H1. Try for yourself if you can. I had to take a leap of faith in both purchases, and was lucky in either case.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #12,056 of 22,511
I found not much difference but enough that i would buy ch2 if i didn't own ch1.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #12,057 of 22,511
Crossfeed is an obvious, slap-in-the-face effect. The filters aren't so blatant. I can hear a difference between the 256FS vs 16FS, but not so much from white to green; I don't bother with orange/red. Listen to the attack of some drum sounds, for example, or the low notes in a solo piano. I tend to hear a less defined image and placement of the piano notes using the orange/red filters.
As for the green/red ones, I may be a bit too old to notice a change. I think I do, but it might just be my reacting to suggestion. I generally leave it on white, and enjoy.

Every so often I "think" I hear the difference between the filters, at least when listening to acoustical music or really layered music when using the Utopia.

I sometimes think it "feels" sorta like a knife's sharp edge has been dulled just a wee bit. Like Lindsey Stirling's violins, or Louis Armstrong's piano. I only "think" I hear it when listening for a long time, which makes me think it's my imagination and I'm just getting used to the glare of the Utopia.

The X-PHD, otoh, is so very very good!

Sometimes I like the extreme left right separation of in-studio songs, sometimes, I don't, (just depends on my mood, I guess), and hitting that X-PHD button just brings everything together so nicely without losing any of the sound detail. Feels like a little bit of magic, makes me giddy that I can switch so simply and easily. Really love that filter.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #12,058 of 22,511
Hugo 2 reminds of me of my child hood days when during afternoon time my father used to listen songs on AM radio, the same kind of direct connection to the singer. may be due to all analog chain, AM despite all interference was much closer to natural sound.

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #12,060 of 22,511

I think the difference is more apparent with CIEMs as well, especially highly resolute ones. With my A18's the difference is easily detectable.

On an unrelated note, would be awesome if Chord products were designed such that you If you had say 2 Hugos, or a Hugo and a Mojo, etc you could connect them somehow and combine the tap power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back