Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 6, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #13,066 of 22,537
I have only used the supplied charging plug/cable that came with Hugo 2.

If the flashing does mean falling below minimum current needed to charge, that could of been the problem as I recall the house lights dimming a few times this year, feb - march, maybe when that happened, for a fraction of a second it confused Hugo and caused it to flash.

Its good to know what the flashing white light means.

If it happens again, I will try using my anker charger which is good for 4.8amps, but I think/hope it was just a brief cut/lowering of the current during those days that the lights dimmed

It works great, so I dont think anything is damaged or broken.

Time for a UPS? I've been looking at one for my networking gear and one for my audio gear.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #13,067 of 22,537
Time for a UPS? I've been looking at one for my networking gear and one for my audio gear.

I have one for my pc and server, looks like I will have to get a small one for hugo and a couple other items.

I think if it was caused when the lights dimmed, I think thats just a winter thing, but I shall grab a small apc one.

When I put my setup into one companies website, idiots wanted roughly 2 grand for a bit of plastic and a battery.

Mind you, I dont suppose a 1500watt psu helps, even though I would be lucky if I even used 650watts nowadays.

Was one of them line active ones which all of your kit runs off the battery 24/7 instead of only kicking in when there is a problem.

I chose the cheaper line interactive second option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #13,070 of 22,537
For Phuca:

Even though it says with desktop mode the battery neither charges nor discharges when used for some time there is in fact a very small residual net battery drain. When you switch off H2 after listening and see the white charging light which stays on for roughly up to an hour this is just the charger replenishing that small residual battery drain to bring the battery up to 100% again ready for your next listening session whether that be mobile or at home. As long as the charger is connected desktop mode will continue to remain in operation.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #13,071 of 22,537
For Phuca:

Even though it says with desktop mode the battery neither charges nor discharges when used for some time there is in fact a very small residual net battery drain. When you switch off H2 after listening and see the white charging light which stays on for roughly up to an hour this is just the charger replenishing that small residual battery drain to bring the battery up to 100% again ready for your next listening session whether that be mobile or at home. As long as the charger is connected desktop mode will continue to remain in operation.

mk, just a slight pedantic correction, in desktop mode the battery is actually kept below 100% in order to prolong its life.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #13,072 of 22,537
So whats the deal with the 2Go? Any updates @Rob Watts ? Is it at least still in development? Otherwise I will now start looking into DAPs.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #13,073 of 22,537
For Phuca:

Oh come on folks, this has been answered by Rob plenty of times.

In desktop mode, when you turn on the Hugo 2 it runs on battery, until battery drops to 80%. Then it switches to charger. (Meanwhile not drawing much from the battery.) When you switch off the Hugo 2, it tops the battery back up to 100%.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #13,074 of 22,537
Oh come on, this has been answered by Rob plenty of times.

In desktop mode, when you turn on the Hugo 2, it runs on battery until battery drops to 80%. Then it switches to charger. (Meanwhile not drawing much from the bWhen you switch off the Hugo 2, it tops the battery back up to 100%.

Thank you for taking the time to chastise me for asking a question, and, for explaining in detail exactly how desktop mode works.

You could make it a trifecta of “thanks” if you can answer this question;

Is Donald Trumps wife really Fedor in disguise ?

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #13,076 of 22,537
iPhone with camera kit is a easy solution, take the camera kit with power in so you can charge the phone while playing music. Recommend you use Hiby player, it supports dsd file via local network, in that case you can store your music file on your pc or NAS and play on iPhone. In addition, could use LH labs usb revive to optimize the usb output by camera kit, I know it is nothing more than a battery powered usb hub, but it dose take the sq to a whole new level. Also you can use a raspberry pi, the setup can be little bit tricky but the 50 USD investment is unbelievably worthy.
Thanks for that, do you know where I could buy the Lh usb revive device?

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #13,078 of 22,537
Look back on the last few pages. Yes I had the unit replaced

Ok. I do recall reading those posts, but surprisingly never committed the issue to memory.

I actually had a shutting down issue with my Hugo 2 straight out of the box. However it was the charger I was using. As soon as I switched to the Chord supplied Hugo 2 charger, as was well. It charges and plays no problem.

The charger I first started using was an Anker one that I bought for my Mojo. When I put the Hugo 2 on my desk, I just grabbed the cable from the Mojo and plugged it in. I think the issue was that charger might not have been supplying as much current as it should have. It's supposed to supply 2.4A on one port, or over 4 ports.

However than Anker charger showed me the flashing white light on my Mojo a few times. Whereas my other spare 1A charger that I used with my Mojo only showed me flashing white light maybe twice.

Overall though, we are told that we can leave our chargers plugged in. It effectively says so in the manual. However I feel safer letting my Hugo 2 run the battery out sometimes. Basically because I got an issue with my first Mojo from leaving it plugged in 24/7. As a few of us did.

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #13,079 of 22,537
Ok. I do recall reading those posts, but surprisingly never committed the issue to memory.

I actually had a shutting down issue with my Hugo 2 straight out of the box. However it was the charger I was using. As soon as I switched to the Chord supplied Hugo 2 charger, as was well. It charges and plays no problem.

The charger I first started using was an Anker one that I bought for my Mojo. When I put the Hugo 2 on my desk, I just grabbed the cable from the Mojo and plugged it in. I think the issue was that charger might not have been supplying as much current as it should have. It's supposed to supply 2.4A on one port, or over 4 ports.

However than Anker charger showed me the flashing white light on my Mojo a few times. Whereas my other spare 1A charger that I used with my Mojo only showed me flashing white light maybe twice.

Overall though, we are told that we can leave our chargers plugged in. It effectively says so in the manual. However I feel safer letting my Hugo 2 run the battery out sometimes. Basically because I got an issue with my first Mojo from leaving it plugged in 24/7. As a few of us did.
I think you don't have to worry, as the Mojo was somewhat of a descendant of the original Hugo, with all of the battery issues and worries. Hugo2's power circuits have been re-thought out and designed to avoid a lot of those problems like battery wearout etc. Mine stays plugged in at all times, and on only when using. That's how I intend to keep using it until the 2go comes along. If 2go has the feature set I both want and can access, I'm going to use it as a sort of oversized DAP. And, I ain't in no hurry for the 2go. Let them take all the time they need to get it right.

Jun 7, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #13,080 of 22,537
And, I ain't in no hurry for the 2go. Let them take all the time they need to get it right.

Agreed on the latter part. Would be splendid to have a time window for the release though. What would be the next big hifi event in which the 2Go might make an appearance?

If only the Hugo 2 wasnt so good, I would not be in such a hurry to pimp it to the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back