Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 7, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #13,081 of 22,537
Agreed on the latter part. Would be splendid to have a time window for the release though. What would be the next big hifi event in which the 2Go might make an appearance?

If only the Hugo 2 wasnt so good, I would not be in such a hurry to pimp it to the next level.
The London Camjam is the next notable hifi event, and Rob Watts posted recently that Chord will reveal a new product.
I suspect that Chord have learnt from the Poly, and do not want to reveal the 2Go, until both the iOS and Android versions of the GoFigure app are fully beta tested/ready.
On May 25th Matt posted that the beta testing would start late June, so looking on the positive side, maybe the London Canjam is just possible.
If the Canjam is too soon, then you have the summer holidays, and maybe a Q3/Q4 reveal, possibly to coincide with the TT2 shipping.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #13,082 of 22,537
The London Camjam is the next notable hifi event, and Rob Watts posted recently that Chord will reveal a new product.
I suspect that Chord have learnt from the Poly, and do not want to reveal the 2Go, until both the iOS and Android versions of the GoFigure app are fully beta tested/ready.
On May 25th Matt posted that the beta testing would start late June, so looking on the positive side, maybe the London Canjam is just possible.
If the Canjam is too soon, then you have the summer holidays, and maybe a Q3/Q4 reveal, possibly to coincide with the TT2 shipping.

Fingers crossed for London Canjam.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #13,087 of 22,537

I have similar thoughts also. Chord taking their time on 2go to make sure that it works flawlessly when released and also, to let Poly’s fantastic debut furore die down.

I dont blame them for taking their time, it just means we have to wait a little longer for something that will have been scrutinised from top to bottom to find any problems and to fix them before its release.

When 2go comes out, I will finally be able to use H2 more than 30 minutes per week. I use Mojo n Poly roughly 10-20 times more than H2, I really am looking forward to 2go, more interested in that than H2TT.

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #13,088 of 22,537
Having a feeling the 2Go will cost me a kidney. Is it silly hoping for sub 1k, folks?

No, its not silly to hope for a sub 1k streamer, because a streamer is basically a £60 wifi router and should never cost £1000 unless its made from unobtanium.

I tell ya, if its just a streamer ala poly but with 2 full size sd card slots, if they charge £1000 for it, no way on earth can they say, blah blah blah bill of materials blah its priced with our fans and customers in mind blah.

Seriously, if anyone disagrees with me, answer me this.

Would you pay £1000 for a wifi router for your home broadband ?

I didnt think so and yes it is the same thing.

I guess we will have to wait and see with regards to the price, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that no way will Chord charge £1000 for 2go as they are not a greedy company and the price will be more like £700-800.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 7, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #13,089 of 22,537
I have similar thoughts also. Chord taking their time on 2go to make sure that it works flawlessly when released and also, to let Poly’s fantastic debut furore die down.

I dont blame them for taking their time, it just means we have to wait a little longer for something that will have been scrutinised from top to bottom to find any problems and to fix them before its release.

When 2go comes out, I will finally be able to use H2 more than 30 minutes per week. I use Mojo n Poly roughly 10-20 times more than H2, I really am looking forward to 2go, more interested in that than H2TT.

Chord should take its time.

I’m not quite as happy with Poly as you are, but i am using it out of the housefor sure.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #13,090 of 22,537
Hi, my apologies for crashing in on the 2go discussion but I felt to complete my observations on the thermal shutdown issue which my hugo 2 experienced a while back.
I let it run plugged in for three days ( it moved into desktop mode after 1 day) without a recurrence of the thermal trip. I then unplugged it from the wall and let run on internal batteries for a couple of hours ( Bart light on green), no issues there either.
So I can safely assume that a thermal shutdown is most likely ( as one other poster mentioned) when the hugo 2 is charging from a depleted state and playing at the same time.
Shouldn't happen, but it does and did.
I won't be sending in a formal complaint to chord, it's good enough for now that it's on the forum.
On a positive note, I want to put in a good word about the bluetooth on the hugo 2. Right now I've got the KANN sending an aptx stream to the hugo. Attached to the headphone jack of the Hugo is an aptx hd transmitter sending the signal from the Hugo to a pair of Sony wh1000x2 n/c headphones (n/c on) and damn it's good as far as bt goes. Far better than kann direct to hps via bt.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #13,091 of 22,537
...On a positive note, I want to put in a good word about the bluetooth on the hugo 2. Right now I've got the KANN sending an aptx stream to the hugo. Attached to the headphone jack of the Hugo is an aptx hd transmitter sending the signal from the Hugo to a pair of Sony wh1000x2 n/c headphones (n/c on) and damn it's good as far as bt goes. Far better than kann direct to hps via bt.

That's not an ideal setup. All BT data streams are digital. From what you describe your end to end audio is going like this:

music file (KANN) -> converts to Aptx (KANN) -> converts to analog audio (H2) -> converts to Aptx-HD (your transmitter) -> converts to analog audio (Sony WH1000x2)

KANN supports Aptx-HD so feeding that directly to your Sony WH1000x2 is the cleanest path. The problem above is you are converting analog back to digital only to be converted to analog again once the Aptx-HD data stream gets to your Sony WH1000x2.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #13,093 of 22,537
L
That's not an ideal setup. All BT data streams are digital. From what you describe your end to end audio is going like this:

music file (KANN) -> converts to Aptx (KANN) -> converts to analog audio (H2) -> converts to Aptx-HD (your transmitter) -> converts to analog audio (Sony WH1000x2)

KANN supports Aptx-HD so feeding that directly to your Sony WH1000x2 is the cleanest path. The problem above is you are converting analog back to digital only to be converted to analog again once the Aptx-HD data stream gets to your Sony WH1000x2.
Logically what you say sounds right but my ears tell me differently. Also we need to take into account the fpga in the Hugo. I'm not sure if the bluetooth stream is being reclocked or otherwise altered by the Hugo. Point is it just sounds so much more detailed and cleaner.

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #13,095 of 22,537
Hi, my apologies for crashing in on the 2go discussion but I felt to complete my observations on the thermal shutdown issue which my hugo 2 experienced a while back.
I let it run plugged in for three days ( it moved into desktop mode after 1 day) without a recurrence of the thermal trip. I then unplugged it from the wall and let run on internal batteries for a couple of hours ( Bart light on green), no issues there either.
So I can safely assume that a thermal shutdown is most likely ( as one other poster mentioned) when the hugo 2 is charging from a depleted state and playing at the same time.
Shouldn't happen, but it does and did.
I won't be sending in a formal complaint to chord, it's good enough for now that it's on the forum.
On a positive note, I want to put in a good word about the bluetooth on the hugo 2. Right now I've got the KANN sending an aptx stream to the hugo. Attached to the headphone jack of the Hugo is an aptx hd transmitter sending the signal from the Hugo to a pair of Sony wh1000x2 n/c headphones (n/c on) and damn it's good as far as bt goes. Far better than kann direct to hps via bt.

Regarding Hugo’s Bluetooth.

The other day I was messing about with Hugo and I decided to see if it would connect to my 4k tv via bluetooth.

Not only did it pair and connect, there was absolutely no lip sync issues, which stunned me, because everything else connected to it had to be tweaked due to lip sync issues.

I have now found a way to watch loud movies at night and not waken my neighbours.

Watched that Dunkirk movie, although a boring movie, the spitfire engines sounded excellent :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back