Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 17, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #19,756 of 22,530
I have owned H2 for awhile now.

The sad thing is....I can't find a better sounding DAP or transportable device that exceed H2 in term of sound performance in the same price range...

Happy for my wallet but sad for this "hobby"...

Any recommendation?

You could add Sony Z1R ? Great synergy , although you may just listen to music for few years and not be on headfi for that time. That is what happened to me after I got my original Sony XBA Z5 in 2015 !

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #19,758 of 22,530
Is anyone else having problems playing from an iOS device (iPhone SE) using the 14.4 software to the Hugo 2. I am getting horribly distorted and unusable sound. I have checked using both the Apple Camera connection dongle and the Meenova direct Lightning to Micro USB cable. Both of these were working on earlier versions of the software and are still working on my older (Gen 6) iPod touch running iOS 12.4.9. My iPhone will play distortion free via the Beyerdynamic Impacto DAP so it appears to be solely a conflict between iOS 14.4 and the Hugo. I have tried a restart of the phone with no improvement. I also just tried my other iPhone SE (for my Orange France account) and it behaves exactly the same. While connected to the Hugo and making the horrible sound, the iPhone battery drain is very high around 1% a minute or greater.

Any thoughts folks?

Wilson

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #19,759 of 22,530
Is anyone else having problems playing from an iOS device (iPhone SE) using the 14.4 software to the Hugo 2. I am getting horribly distorted and unusable sound. I have checked using both the Apple Camera connection dongle and the Meenova direct Lightning to Micro USB cable. Both of these were working on earlier versions of the software and are still working on my older (Gen 6) iPod touch running iOS 12.4.9. My iPhone will play distortion free via the Beyerdynamic Impacto DAP so it appears to be solely a conflict between iOS 14.4 and the Hugo. I have tried a restart of the phone with no improvement. I also just tried my other iPhone SE (for my Orange France account) and it behaves exactly the same. While connected to the Hugo and making the horrible sound, the iPhone battery drain is very high around 1% a minute or greater.

Any thoughts folks?

Wilson
I have been using the iPhone XR and iPhone SE 2015 with Meenova cable with the Mojo, and the XR with Meenova cable with the Hugo 2 in the last couple of days. Both phones on iOS 14.4. No problems.

I did have issues previously with a long Meenova cable that intermittedly would create very loud white noise. But that was cable related and since you have the same issue with the Apple Camera connection it does not seem to be your issue...

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #19,760 of 22,530

The sad thing is....I can't find a better sounding DAP or transportable device that exceed H2 in term of sound performance in the same price range...

Any recommendation?
L&P P6 is worth a look at $2500 on musicteck. Fully discrete r2r (not chiolet based). Its fairly limited functionality, but not realy worse than the h2. The P6 Pro is said to be a distinct step up from the H2, but its $3500 (about the same as H2+ 2go)

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #19,761 of 22,530
Also, just got these in last night. Playing this morning and they actualy fit in my pocket!

Attachments

• 20210217_191753.jpg
    20210217_191753.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210217_192019.jpg
    20210217_192019.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #19,763 of 22,530
I have been using the iPhone XR and iPhone SE 2015 with Meenova cable with the Mojo, and the XR with Meenova cable with the Hugo 2 in the last couple of days. Both phones on iOS 14.4. No problems.

I did have issues previously with a long Meenova cable that intermittedly would create very loud white noise. But that was cable related and since you have the same issue with the Apple Camera connection it does not seem to be your issue...
Which iPhone app are you using to play the music?

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #19,764 of 22,530
Which iPhone app are you using to play the music?
I am using the iPhones only for streaming.
But considering investing in a 2Go to have all in one. Offline, network and streaming, plus no worries about the digital signal quality

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #19,766 of 22,530
I am using the iPhones only for streaming.
But considering investing in a 2Go to have all in one. Offline, network and streaming, plus no worries about the digital signal quality
Well, being a CH2 owner, 3rd one due to quality issues and 2 x 2GO, sold # 2, b4 using to avoid further pain I would be careful investing prior to reading the full 2GO thread..love the sound of the CH2 but will not ever again invest in anything streaming from Chord.......just my humble opinion....YMMW...but please do research not to burn your hard-earned money.....streaming not their thing...DAC with ROB WATTS onboard yes....just my 2 cents......

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #19,767 of 22,530

Any recommendation?

its not transportable but I went retro / vintage hifi and bought a Marantz PM 75 which has the silver crown version of the very famous TDA1541 DAC chip , in its separate DAC input , as well as being a sweet sounding 70w Amp.

And do you know, it sounds terrific, really analogue whilst just being very musical. Does it have the soundstage or precision of the Hugo 2 , no it doesn’t but it isn’t *that* far away and it sounds lovely albeit different to the Hugo2. I don’t miss the Hugo2 when I listen to it.

And for circa. £200 - it is a bargain.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #19,768 of 22,530
Well, being a CH2 owner, 3rd one due to quality issues and 2 x 2GO, sold # 2, b4 using to avoid further pain I would be careful investing prior to reading the full 2GO thread..love the sound of the CH2 but will not ever again invest in anything streaming from Chord.......just my humble opinion....YMMW...but please do research not to burn your hard-earned money.....streaming not their thing...DAC with ROB WATTS onboard yes....just my 2 cents......
This!!! Check out mine while you are at it @surfgeorge
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.925464/page-176#post-15693101
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.925464/page-209#post-15738738

Users who are viewing this thread

Back