Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 14, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #211 of 6,752
Lost my dad on the 7 th of December and he loved music like me.Mrs wants a holiday and I want the Chord qutest and we are suppose to be getting married this year, am I selfish for buying the Chord qutest or shall we go away and I be selfless???
Sorry to hear the news about your dad, but hopefully you both were able to enjoy plenty of music together.
I suggest take the holiday first, then in a few months time, there will be plenty of user feedback about how the Qutest performs in practice, and you can make an informed decision about whether you still want to order one.

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #212 of 6,752
I Use a KGSShv carbon from that man in Iceland together with H2 and 009s, the best headphone sound available IMHO

I haven’t heard all the good stuff, but I guess that your gear comes as close as possible to my preferences. Have you tested other dacs to your Stax gear. I’m thinking on Dave and other high end dacs.

It seems that synergy is very important. That’s why it’s hard to buy anything without testing with the gear it will play with. There are a few dacs on my radar. Qutest is the one I’m hoping will sound best with my gear in the price range. But Mytek Brooklyn+ and NuPrime Dac-10 has also been recommended to me.

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #213 of 6,752
I haven’t heard all the good stuff, but I guess that your gear comes as close as possible to my preferences. Have you tested other dacs to your Stax gear. I’m thinking on Dave and other high end dacs.

It seems that synergy is very important. That’s why it’s hard to buy anything without testing with the gear it will play with. There are a few dacs on my radar. Qutest is the one I’m hoping will sound best with my gear in the price range. But Mytek Brooklyn+ and NuPrime Dac-10 has also been recommended to me.
I agree with your remarks regarding synergy. My Chord path was Mojo, HD800. Then Mojo, Stax 009s and Stax amp 007tA. Then Mojo, 009s and Mjolnir KGSShv Carbon. That was the game changer for me, the Carbon, never heard such a huge change in resolution until adding the Hugo2. I've gone back to the HD800 direct from the Hugo2 as I've read a headphone amp degrades the H2 sound, but for me at least the 009s, Carbon and H2 is a killer combination.

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #214 of 6,752
Lost my dad on the 7 th of December and he loved music like me.Mrs wants a holiday and I want the Chord qutest and we are suppose to be getting married this year, am I selfish for buying the Chord qutest or shall we go away and I be selfless???

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It may be too late but two words: destination wedding. My second wedding/marriage/honeymoon was in the Virgin Islands. Paid 1/3 cost of first time wedding expenses.

Qutest money in the bank, problem solved.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #215 of 6,752

I've done a lot of research on DACs. (And owned a dozen, but the Chord 2Qute is the only one so far that cost more than $1,000.) The only ones I am still interested in (granted, this is based on online info, not auditions, aside from a few others I happened to hear) are the Chord DAVE, Blu MkII (a DDC that needs to be paired with a DAC, but basically in the same "category" as a DAC for this discussion), Qutest, and one of the upcoming DX amps (which will apparently be a DAC, power amp, and preamp all in one), as well as the Audio-gd R2R 7. My best friend recently bought the last one, so I should be able to spend time with it in the future to decide how I like it.

My priority is objective fidelity. If you get the best-measuring DAC you can at the price, that should bring the best out of your system, making synergy obsolete in my eyes. (Unless you are looking to color the sound to a great extent.)

(Side note: I am a strong proponent of parametric equalizers. Tonal balance is somewhat of a moot issue once you become proficient with those.)

What impresses me most about Chord is how they surpass all other DACs (including ones that cost up to six figures) in terms of measured performance.

Obviously, the DAVE has a better power supply, more pulse array elements, more advanced tap lengths and noise shaping, etc. than the more affordable Chord DACs. Some big, heavy R2R DACs in the same price range as those more affordable Chord DACs have rather overkill analog components, and some prefer their sound. There might be some things I'm missing in which the non-Chord DACs are still better in some areas, but if so, I can't tell what it is from measurements.

Since we're on this topic... I'm thinking it would make more sense to get the Blu MkII before the DAVE. People are going crazy over it, and it looks like it would result in better sound for a slightly lower price too. On the other hand, since they're meant to be paired to get the ultimate sound and cost so much (nearly $22K together), it would make most sense to simply wait until I could easily afford both. I do like the idea of starting with the Qutest and adding the Blu long before the DAVE...but five figures each for multiple products is nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't even touch anything beyond the Qutest until after acquiring my endgame speakers, anyway.

Since it seems you are considering the DAVE, I would suggest thinking long and hard about the equipment you plan on using with it, and what to give priority to.

When I spent $1,295 on the 2Qute, I was only using $300 studio monitors. (I had five figures worth of headphones before, but transitioned to speakers last year and ended up vastly preferring them.) I'm using a $30 audio interface at the moment, but upgraded to floorstanding speakers and am getting far better sound than before. So although you can improve the sound of your system with a DAC, more often than not you will get a much more significant sonic improvement by upgrading your transducers.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #217 of 6,752
New video posted interview with @RobWatts

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #220 of 6,752
Bine te-am găsit!

I dont need the portability of the Hugo 2 or the headphone capability.

A never listen to headphones in the house.

I wanted to buy 2qute 3 months ago, but I informed myself on this forum that CES 2018 could bring a succesor so I waited. I only need a desktop DAC. Plus, I supose that Qutest is somehow a better desktop DAC than Hugo2, like the 2Qute was better than Hugo1.

I sure hope that Qutest will bring a great improvement to my 20$ DAC owned in the present. :)

Hi Adrian,

I have to disagree with you here. I did an A/B comparison between Hugo 1 and 2Qute, where the only changed part in the system was the DAC. The 2Qute sounded warmer while the Hugo was much more natural and had very noticable increase in detail and depth. For me the Hugo 1 was a clear winner. I'm not sure if this is due to the Hugo having battery supply or the 2Qute 3V output, I can just share what I and a friend of mine noticed during audition.

That being said, I would like to hear if Rob from Chord can explain if this is expected based on Hugo1/2Qute design and if we can expect to have the same behavior between Hugo 2 and Cutest.

Thanks in advance

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #221 of 6,752
I have listened to the video, but am not sure where the 5V gets mentioned.
Normally the 5V is mentioned in relation to the VBUS.
usb bus image.jpg

Chord dacs use the 5V on the VBUS pin to detect a usb input, even when there is no data being transmitted.

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #222 of 6,752
I have to disagree with you here. I did an A/B comparison between Hugo 1 and 2Qute, where the only changed part in the system was the DAC. The 2Qute sounded warmer while the Hugo was much more natural and had very noticable increase in detail and depth. For me the Hugo 1 was a clear winner. I'm not sure if this is due to the Hugo having battery supply or the 2Qute 3V output, I can just share what I and a friend of mine noticed during audition.

That being said, I would like to hear if Rob from Chord can explain if this is expected based on Hugo1/2Qute design and if we can expect to have the same behavior between Hugo 2 and Cutest.

It's interesting to read impressions like this. I only had the 2Qute and Mojo and have not heard the Hugo. But nearly all comparisons out there favor the 2Qute over the Hugo.

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #224 of 6,752
I talked to Chord about this issue as I do not use a Mac; apparently ASIO is not supported on iOS. The issue of dropouts is the source sending faulty data; when the DAC sees a fault in the DoP format I used to have a full mute, thus making the dropout obvious. However, I have fine tuned the treatment of faulty data, so that now a hard mute is not created, and you may hear a tiny tick when the source transmits faulty data. In practice it is very hard to detect now. But the treatment still means that DSD changes does not create clicks and pops. It took quite a lot of effort to mute when DSD changed, but to be tolerant of small errors in the data.

Hello Rob or anyone else: I'm still at least a little confused. Should I assume that
Macs should be avoided for upsampling to dsd 256 or 512? If so I would appreciate
some recommendations for a reasonably priced plug and play server that would
be Qutest compatible for upsampling/playback of at least dsd 256. Assuming
this does not exist, and a Mac is a no go, what PC solution simple enough for a
computer semi illiterate would you recommend?

Thank You-

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #225 of 6,752
It's interesting to read impressions like this. I only had the 2Qute and Mojo and have not heard the Hugo. But nearly all comparisons out there favor the 2Qute over the Hugo.

Interesting indeed... Aside me and my friend on that one audition, I also know someone who has had both the Hugo and 2Qute and he sold the 2Qute for the same reason. I'm new to head-fi and still reading up but I actually haven't seen someone stating the opposite. Just for clarity: my A/B comparisons where made with the Hugo 1 and 2Qute as DAC in a hi-fi system with speakers only.

I just watched the CES video on this page and it is good to hear from Rob that the Cutest has same FPGA code and DAC Components as the Hugo 2 and Galvanic isolation. I was doubting between acquiring a second hand Hugo 1 or a new cutest and I'll think I'll go for the latter when it comes out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back