Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jun 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #4,996 of 6,760
Yep that micro usb connection is the ONE most annoying thing with Qutest imho.
I change between the stock and my preferred battery PSU when needed, ie battery down.
And it is always with fear I try to fit that horrible little thing into that micro connection.
I use an inline switch permanently attached to Qutest, Any switching of cables can then only wear that out. It sounds like it would be particularly useful with a battery pack.This is the sort of thing. They can often be found from Raspberry Pi suppliers, but even the Pi now uses USBC

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #4,997 of 6,760
I'd say the reason a micro-USB connector was chosen for the Qutest was so it can be as mobile friendly as possible for the "mobile-first" crowd (gen-z / alpha teens who have never touched a real PC) so they can connect it to who knows what mobile method. I for one can proudly say I'm not one of 'them' :yum: (not entirely anyway LOL)

(...)
PS when can we read your about Power supply comparisons with your Qutest by the way?
Or has it already been posted and I missed it?
Headfi is acting very erratically as far as alerts and new posts are concerned on my mbp.
Cheers CC
I'm not sure when any comparisons will be made or if it may even include a new custom LPS I've heard about, but any of these would be posted on the new dedicated thread thread for Qutest power supplies:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/poll-aftermarket-qutest-psu.935548

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #4,998 of 6,760
I'd say the reason a micro-USB connector was chosen for the Qutest was so it can be as mobile friendly as possible for the "mobile-first" crowd (gen-z / alpha teens who have never touched a real PC) so they can connect it to who knows what mobile method. I for one can proudly say I'm not one of 'them' :yum: (not entirely anyway LOL)
But it's just the power connector and the power supply is included. The original Hugo and 2Qute had barrel connectors.Why fix what isn't broken?

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #4,999 of 6,760
But it's just the power connector and the power supply is included. The original Hugo and 2Qute had barrel connectors.Why fix what isn't broken?

Agree, and I know that someone accidentally broke that micro USB socket, it is overly fragile. And I am sure DecentLevi is correct about making it more usable to mobile users who could have 5V microUSB supplies on hand. Why else Change the design to accept 5V then have to internally convert that back to 12v internally with a switcher, when the two previous incarnations of the Qutest (Qute HD and 2Qute) accepted 12v directly with a sturdy DC barrel connector?

IMO the change was misguided as using different supplies is strongly advised against, verbotten even, so why make a connection and additional voltage switcher to support commonly available non-stock supplies? Bring back 12v input with a DC barrel connector!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #5,000 of 6,760
Making the Qutest more accessible to mobile-only users with a powerbank friendly power connection then heralding that using any other PSU's void the warranty could be seen as a double standard... so can the (lack of) power switch encouraging people to leave it on 24/7 so we can upgrade again after it croaks.

Oh well look at the bright side, when the Qutest wears out from being left on all year at least we can upgrade to the next succession, and knowing Chord it should honestly be something amazing. At least we can get reliable sonic improvements with aftermarket PSU's on the Qutest even with its' internal step-up switcher - and for that, the Qutest is still a keeper for me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #5,003 of 6,760
Making the Qutest more accessible to mobile-only users with a powerbank friendly power connection then heralding that using any other PSU's void the warranty could be seen as a double standard... so can the (lack of) power switch encouraging people to leave it on 24/7 so we can upgrade again after it croaks.

Oh well look at the bright side, when the Qutest wears out from being left on all year at least we can upgrade to the next succession, and knowing Chord it should honestly be something amazing. At least we can get reliable sonic improvements with aftermarket PSU's on the Qutest even with its' internal step-up switcher - and for that, the Qutest is still a keeper for me. :thumbsup:

I frequently leave much of my HiFi on 24/7. One amplifier has been been switched on for 18 years and has only been switched off when we moved houses. In that time I have only had to replace the power supply caps 3 years ago. I mostly prefer kit to be permanently powered up on the basis that switch on power surges can be just as harmful.

I doubt that leaving the Qutest switched on is any issue at all.

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #5,004 of 6,760
A little worried about the micro USB connector too ... so bought a little 100mm “extension cable” that remains plugged into the Qutest so a possible removable battery pack in the future wouldnt be an issue ...
having said that I’ve had no issues with my Nikon camera that uses the same micro USB connection for downloading photos...
doubtful that “ penny-pinching” is the main reason for the micro USB socket ... electronics store I got the extension cable from sells a pcb micro USB socket for $2.95 ... the more common round DC pcb mount connector is 95c..

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #5,005 of 6,760
I've been using the Qutest on and off since it's release and I've never had an issue with the micro USB connector. And I'm plugging/unplugging it quite often. I actually like that it uses that connector because I run my Qutest on USB power banks. I find it sounds noticeably better than being plugged into the wall. I have high capacity batteries and I just swap them every few days when they get low. My Qutest stays on all the time.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #5,006 of 6,760
I frequently leave much of my HiFi on 24/7. One amplifier has been been switched on for 18 years and has only been switched off when we moved houses. In that time I have only had to replace the power supply caps 3 years ago. I mostly prefer kit to be permanently powered up on the basis that switch on power surges can be just as harmful.

I doubt that leaving the Qutest switched on is any issue at all.

Yes, this is correct, unless a component is specifically designed to reduce power on surge, turning a component on can stress internal componentry thus shortening its life. I generally left my system on all the time as well.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #5,007 of 6,760
Yes, this is correct, unless a component is specifically designed to reduce power on surge, turning a component on can stress internal componentry thus shortening its life. I generally left my system on all the time as well.

By the way, this is the reason when there is a black out, unplug your gear. The power on surge following a black out can really do a number on the power supply of your components.

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #5,008 of 6,760
Hi all,

I've had a Qutest for a few weeks now and I'm having an issue with the USB driver, I think. I get pops and clicks all of the time! I've had that with other DACs once in a while when my computer gets busy, maybe once every other day. The Qutest is popping away constantly, like every 5-10 minutes. I've rebooted the computer and I have numerous programs that are always open (my work computer) so I can't really change too much.

Has anyone had the same issues and found a solution? At first I thought it was just Audacious but I've heard it while watching Youtube videos. I might have to try other programs but it's never been much of an issue with other DACs so who knows.

Thanks!

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #5,009 of 6,760
Hi all,

I've had a Qutest for a few weeks now and I'm having an issue with the USB driver, I think. I get pops and clicks all of the time! I've had that with other DACs once in a while when my computer gets busy, maybe once every other day. The Qutest is popping away constantly, like every 5-10 minutes. I've rebooted the computer and I have numerous programs that are always open (my work computer) so I can't really change too much.

Has anyone had the same issues and found a solution? At first I thought it was just Audacious but I've heard it while watching Youtube videos. I might have to try other programs but it's never been much of an issue with other DACs so who knows.

Thanks!
Have you tried using WASAPI exclusive mode instead of ASIO in your audio application? I find that WASAPI usually doesn't have any of the clicks or pops that ASIO can be plagued with.

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #5,010 of 6,760
Have you tried using WASAPI exclusive mode instead of ASIO in your audio application? I find that WASAPI usually doesn't have any of the clicks or pops that ASIO can be plagued with.
Hi,

That sounds like a great idea. I haven't messed with the audio settings in Windows before. It looks like that is something you do in each application so I will have to mess around with it and see if I can find a program that gives me that option. It would be nice if this was a global change for all of Windows though. Again, my inexperience is showing here!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back