Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 10, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #946 of 6,752
2Qute owner checking in. Just found out this product exists and am interested.

I assume there's no upgrade program available for 2Qute owners that simply want to upgrade?

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #948 of 6,752
the sr4 in terms of build quality cannot be beat as i said it has more in common with the way japan did power supply before they started outsourcing everything to china.
i had been after one of his supplies since 2012 but assumed it would take a long time so it never happened so pretty pleased with the speed of the order. the sr4 is a keeper as i said i spent ages trying to find a used one a couple of folks i know where not even using them but would not sell them on.which is a good sign.

i have been playing around with battery power nothing sounds as good as when the hynes thing is connected to the cutest the whole system is crazy quiet as stated even with the revised circuit in the cutest immune from switching power supply i do not want it on the mains near my gear.

the uptone ultracap adds energy and a zest to the music but i prefer hynes stability brick next to the chord brick
Does Hynes Power Supplies have enough dynamic and live?
What about general musicality compared to Uptone ultracap?

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #949 of 6,752
Not aware of one, but maybe some dealers will accept your 2Qute in part-exchange for a Qutest.
sounds good. I'll send out some emails.

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #950 of 6,752
Does Hynes Power Supplies have enough dynamic and live?
What about general musicality compared to Uptone ultracap?

i think the hynes is simply providing purity quality stability.
i turn my stuff off a lot i know someone who has had his hynes thing on since 2011.
that is not my bag i just wanted a product that i could use for many applications as i said i also ordered as a reaction to all the moaning forum snow flakes that where getting hysterical about paul not emailing them very often.

a lot of this stuff is about psychologies because of poor quality of a lot of new generation equipment i simply wanted stability and quality.

something special is happening with the ultracap but again psycho stuff kicks in is the included switching power supply doing bad stuff are the ultracap noise harming the music signal while charging..

i have an idea should i buy another dodgy linear power supply from china to charge power my ultracap.
should i use my paul hynes to power my ultracap should i use a battery to power my ulracap which then powers the cutest.

before long the doctor is taking you away fro treatment because you have a room full of power supplies car batteries and china usb battery.

walwarts are small cheap made by the billion in china alas in some cases based on terrible work conditions.
something has to give with them.

uptone audio designers are very clever so is hynes designs expensive but both provide stability and quality.

uptone provides a more youthful zest vigour and speed to the mix hynes is an aston martin it has nothing to proove it just is and does it's thing and says everything is good everything sorted relax leave the cutest energising to me : )

i have to go now the music is playing the doctor just came over the pa system and said it is medication time
medication time : )

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #952 of 6,752
@RobWatts,

Ok, I understand how a high quality power supply affects an amplifier. I understand how a clean power supply affects noise. Mr. Watts can you explain how power supply affects a DAC? Then Mr. Watts explain how it could affect the Qutest.

I'm 52 and not that technical, as a surgeon I just look at things differently. You can PM me if you feel will derail thread.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #956 of 6,752
@RobWatts,

Ok, I understand how a high quality power supply affects an amplifier. I understand how a clean power supply affects noise. Mr. Watts can you explain how power supply affects a DAC? Then Mr. Watts explain how it could affect the Qutest.

I'm 52 and not that technical, as a surgeon I just look at things differently. You can PM me if you feel will derail thread.
There are some posts by RW if you search the chord threads - is this the sort of info that you are seeking?

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #957 of 6,752
Irrespective of the last few comments, I still welcome members' views on the positive/negative impact of different PSU on their Qutest and any expert opinions (Rob) on the matter. I'm keen to maximise the performance of my DAC and if pairing it with the right PSU is the best way to do this, then I'd like to know.

Mar 10, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #960 of 6,752
Hasn’t the PSU conversation been done to death in every single Chord product thread already? Perhaps we need the mods to create a PSU enabler/justification/q&a thread.

I asked my question in an attempt to understand how people hear what they do and so I am not "chasing the dragon..."

That is part of the reason I requested a PM reply from Rob if necessary. I myself would like to hear more about the sound the way its shipped.

Last few posts have been about the PSU more than the Qutest itself...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back