Chord Hugo
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #15,662 of 15,694
I would use the Hugo or the Mojo 90% of the time as a desktop DAC/AMP with the Toslink input to drive my Denon D9200.
Is it a good use case or some more recent desktop DAC/AMP around the same price can do better ?
For now i have a xDuoo XA-10, retail price ~500€ but i got it used for cheap, i'm quite pleased with it for the price but i'm now wondering if i can find better without breaking the bank. Chord products have stellar reputation so i'm thinking why not considering their affordable options (their full desktop stuff is too much for me)?

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #15,663 of 15,694
I run a Hugo2Go into LCD-5 around the house and outside as my portable solution. Using Roon inside the house and applying the Audeze LCD-5 EQ profile, it is a very nice solution and hard to beat without spending a lot more money imo. And I have - spent a lot more money that is!

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #15,664 of 15,694
Edit : sorry double post.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #15,665 of 15,694
I would say 500EUR is a fair price for one with old batteries, if one is willing to replace them down the road. I did that myself, 20-40EUR for top quality batteries + some soldering skills, easy peasy.

Yes, plus you get the equalizer, and all for only a few euros more than the Hugo
https://www.son-video.com/article/h...-dac-audio-portables/chord-electronics/mojo-2

And at 400€ would you recommend the Hugo 1 over the Mojo 2 ?

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #15,666 of 15,694
I think I would still recommend the Mojo2.

Go back 7 or 8 years ago, and I was intending to buy a Hugo, but then the Mojo was released - almost the same performance but at less than half the price, so the Mojo was a 'no brainer' to buy.
Later I bought a Hugo2, which did improve on the sound quality that I could get from my Mojo, but was far more costly.
Unfortunately you would need to pay over €2k to buy a Hugo2 now, which is outside your budget.

The original Mojo was jokingly called the 'gateway drug' to the Chord lineup, meaning that once an owner enjoyed the Mojo music reproduction, it was near certain that the owner would eventually progress to the more expensive dacs in the chord lineup.

You are basically in the position of trying to chose between Hugo1 and Mojo2 as your gateway drug.
By all means buy the Hugo1 at that price which is competitive, but I think it will be only a matter of time before you feel the urge to upgrade to a Mojo 2.
The question then becomes 'why not choose the Mojo2 in the first place, and benefit from the extra 8 years of design knowledge gained by Rob Watts, resulting in improved battery management plus the advanced equalizer?

This is only my opinion, and I am sure that some of the Hugo fans will advise buy the Hugo1 instead.

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #15,667 of 15,694
Damn this is a hard choice :thinking:
I think I would still recommend the Mojo2.
[...]
This is only my opinion, and I am sure that some of the Hugo fans will advise buy the Hugo1 instead.
I talked to someone who got the Mojo V1 & V2 and the Hugo V1 & V2 and he told me the Hugo V1 is better than both Mojos :disappointed_relieved:

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #15,668 of 15,694
Damn this is a hard choice :thinking:

I talked to someone who got the Mojo V1 & V2 and the Hugo V1 & V2 and he told me the Hugo V1 is better than both Mojos :disappointed_relieved:
Yup, and h1 may be preferred to h2, course concerning preference price, ymmv

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #15,669 of 15,694
I guess it would be more a matter of size and features, as well as getting something with warranty. Personally I would go for the og Hugo, Mojo 2 doesn't have BT, plus the og Hugo looks better to me as well as being a little bit more powerful. Mojo 2 for using it on the go if having it wired to a transport isn't a problem. I'm sure Mojo 2 is great as desktop sources as well. I'm very happy with my og Hugo tho.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #15,670 of 15,694
A fellow member of a french forum (where i'm more active) is going to send me his Hugo V1 so i can test it before potentially buying it, great community :heart_eyes:

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #15,671 of 15,694
A fellow member of a french forum (where i'm more active) is going to send me his Hugo V1 so i can test it before potentially buying it, great community :heart_eyes:
As a heads up mine 7 plus years, I leave it plugged in and off( it will recharge from last use) 24/7. Seems to keep longevity that way. I also leave it usb to my iMac for desktop use for my se hp.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #15,672 of 15,694
So i received the Hugo V1, i like its sound BUT... It seems my xDuoo XA-10 desktop DAC/AMP (dual AK4493 + class A amp) is a VERY capable compact device, it sounds as good as the Hugo V1, just a tiny bit warmer. For the price i paid for a used one it's an absolute banger/bargain. In the end i don't see the Hugo as an upgrade, that's crazy considering the retail price difference.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #15,673 of 15,694
So i received the Hugo V1, i like its sound BUT... It seems my xDuoo XA-10 desktop DAC/AMP (dual AK4493 + class A amp) is a VERY capable compact device, it sounds as good as the Hugo V1, just a tiny bit warmer. For the price i paid for a used one it's an absolute banger/bargain. In the end i don't see the Hugo as an upgrade, that's crazy considering the retail price difference.
Did you try the Hugo, as DAC only, into the XA-10 vs internal XA-10 DAC?

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #15,674 of 15,694
No i only tested each device separately as all-in-one options, i don't want a multi elements setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back