Chord Hugo
Apr 13, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #1,757 of 15,694
From my haphazard tape job (assuming a perfect insulation/ seal), taping up the +5V seems working ok. However, all this assumes a perfect seal which is hard to tell as tape get meshed up somewhat after removal for inspection. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,759 of 15,694
Received mine yesterday but not much time to listen, work and being my children's taxi, but initial impressions are wow!  Way better than my HiFi-M8!  I'm not great with descriptions but it just sounds more real!

I'm using Macbook air via the Vertere Cable Redbook and high res!  Hopefully I'll have time to try my iPhone 5 today

Great service from Phil at Custom-Cable!  Thank You Phil

(Anyone in the UK want to buy a hardly used M8 just pm me)

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,760 of 15,694
thanks.

3 leads it shall be then.

(out of curiosity, can you share with me how the GND helps in identifying the Chord when hook up to a PC?)

The usb ground is needed for usb host to determine that a device (Hugo) is connected to it. Without it, it will not recognise a connection. I have disengaged the +5V lead for all my USB cables from PC/CCK going into the Hugo and is working fine, no need to introduced unclean power into the cable if not needed. Haven't tried it with Android USBTG cable yet.

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #1,764 of 15,694
Thanks to you guys here on Head-Fi I have pulled the trigger on the Hugo (4th US shipment, includes RCA case enhancements).  As some of you know (and thanks for the nice comments) I write reviews for Computer Audiophile (among other things) and have done one for the Qute HD...and now own a Qute EX with a Hynes SR3-12 eternal ps.  The external Hynes ps (among others) puts the Qute series into another level of DAC performance.  Some good audio ears I respect, as well as some posts here (that I know less but are clearly consistent and knowledgeable) say the Hugo (sans external ps cuz the portable battery-based design is not open to that) will out perform my setup in the home system.  I can't wait to give my feedback.  I will also listen via a few SPDIF converters (since the Qute series seems to excel via SPDIF) from the Matrix X-SPDIF to the Audiobyte Hydra-X+ to the Berkeley Alpha.  I will try to get an Audiophilkeo AP2 in here too.

Anyway, thanks for the push.  The Hugo is selling so well that demos weren't available, so I bought one. :)
Ted

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,765 of 15,694
  The usb ground is needed for usb host to determine that a device (Hugo) is connected to it. Without it, it will not recognise a connection. I have disengaged the +5V lead for all my USB cables from PC/CCK going into the Hugo and is working fine, no need to introduced unclean power into the cable if not needed. Haven't tried it with Android USBTG cable yet.

Confirmed, I just opened up a cheap usb cable and chop up the +5V line inside and it works just fine with my laptop/ Hugo.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,767 of 15,694
Thanks to you guys here on Head-Fi I have pulled the trigger on the Hugo (4th US shipment, includes RCA case enhancements).  As some of you know (and thanks for the nice comments) I write reviews for Computer Audiophile (among other things) and have done one for the Qute HD...and now own a Qute EX with a Hynes SR3-12 eternal ps.  The external Hynes ps (among others) puts the Qute series into another level of DAC performance.  Some good audio ears I respect, as well as some posts here (that I know less but are clearly consistent and knowledgeable) say the Hugo (sans external ps cuz the portable battery-based design is not open to that) will out perform my setup in the home system.  I can't wait to give my feedback.  I will also listen via a few SPDIF converters (since the Qute series seems to excel via SPDIF) from the Matrix X-SPDIF to the Audiobyte Hydra-X+ to the Berkeley Alpha.  I will try to get an Audiophilkeo AP2 in here too.

Any thoughts between the usb converters?

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #1,769 of 15,694

Anyway, thanks for the push.  The Hugo is selling so well that demos weren't available, so I bought one. :)
Ted

Congrats!

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #1,770 of 15,694
 I will also listen via a few SPDIF converters (since the Qute series seems to excel via SPDIF) from the Matrix X-SPDIF to the Audiobyte Hydra-X+ to the Berkeley Alpha.  I will try to get an Audiophilkeo AP2 in here too.

Ted

Welcome and congrats for joining the Hugo team. Please kindly keep us posted once you've compared those SPDIF converters.

BTW, thanks a lot for your SACD/PS3 guide as we Hugo owners could get access to much more DSD64 materials that way.

Can someone pls direct me to the sacd ps3 guide? I would love to rip some sacds I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back