Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 21, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #31,877 of 42,765
I have been listening for an hour to my iPhone 7 (iOS 10.3.1) feeding the Mojo without any issues using the Lightening to USB 3 Camera Adapter powered by my iPhone charger.
Exactly my point from earlier in the thread, that on the most part lightning adapters still work, it's definitely not a blanket statement to say that USB audio is broken with iOS 10.3.x

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #31,879 of 42,765
Boy am I happy I never updated my ipod touch with IOS 10.2.1 to 10.3X.  Normally I am the first Mac Moonie to download new software blindly. A few years ago I updated my MacBook Pro to a new OS and lost support for my Apogee Duet DAC and Meridian speakers for 3 months:frowning2:

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #31,880 of 42,765
  A more relevant part of the article you didn't include might be:

Some USB devices need more power than your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can provide. If you connect one of these types of USB devices, you might see an alert that says “attached accessory uses too much power." Try one of these steps: 
  1. Connect the USB devices to a powered USB hub or secondary power source.
  2. Use a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter.
The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter has a built-in Lightning port, which you can connect to a USB power adapter. This provides power to your iOS device and connected USB device.

Which clearly identifies the potential problem.

On my end, I haven't seen that alert when using the Mojo.  Though I have seen it when connecting other USB devices to the iPhone (like a flash drive to test).  Remember that Mojo is self-powered thus might explain why I didn't see any alert relating to power.

Just a note: I've also used Mojo with a powered CCK3 but the audio still got cut.  It could happen mostly in a few minutes, and I was also able to play continuously (rarely) for a few hours but it still got cut.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #31,881 of 42,765

I have been listening for an hour to my iPhone 7 (iOS 10.3.1) feeding the Mojo without any issues using the Lightening to USB 3 Camera Adapter powered by my iPhone charger.

......and I once managed 23 hours before the sound muted. At other times the phone has not managed a minute. It seems to be totally random.

Yes, the same as my experience, it's random.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #31,882 of 42,765
My point is that some say it's Apple's problem and some say that it's Chord's problem, but in fact it is really neither. Apple designed something to connect a camera to iPhones and iPads to transfer photos. The computer community quickly jumped on the fact that it could do much more. Chord designed a device and tested it to verify it worked as part of that much more that the camera connection device could do. Blaming either for it no longer working is pointless. Newer hardware and software were never guaranteed to continue support for what was beyond Apples design purpose. While I understand it is frustrating, you need to solve it for yourself. Live with the frustration, change to an Android phone, or find another transport. It could be a long wait otherwise. That is the reality of the situation.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #31,884 of 42,765
iOS 10.X appears to have introduced a new USB driver that has broken compatibility with many DACs, including the Mojo, Dragonfly, and Oppo HA-2. iOS 10.3 appears to have exacerbated the problems further. I understand people throwing their hands in the air and wanting to jump from iOS to Android, but I just can't stomach Android--and also, luckily my HA-2 has not succumbed to the problem. Anyway, I recommend filing bug reports with Apple and awaiting a fix.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #31,885 of 42,765
iOS 10.X appears to have introduced a new USB driver that has broken compatibility with many DACs, including the Mojo, Dragonfly, and Oppo HA-2. iOS 10.3 appears to have exacerbated the problems further. I understand people throwing their hands in the air and wanting to jump from iOS to Android, but I just can't stomach Android--and also, luckily my HA-2 has not succumbed to the problem. Anyway, I recommend filing bug reports with Apple and awaiting a fix.

Is there any announcement/information from Apple regarding this situation? They must know all about this by now.

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #31,887 of 42,765
Seems to be more of a problem with older iPhones. Good number of people on this thread have no, or very occasional, problems with iPhone 7, including me.

No intention of ditching iPhone for Android. I did that once and lasted just 6 months. Let's also not pretend that DAC threads haven't been full of Android issues too - which cables work, what phones, certain apps, etc. We have a niche product, a small user base, these issues won't be a priority for Apple or Google.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #31,888 of 42,765
Chord please fix this.  I just bought a month and a half ago and have no idea what i can do with this outside of selling it and telling all my friends it is not worth it anymore.  I feel like the only option to keep this is to now buy a Chord Poly which costs MORE than the chord mojo.

Personally I would change source rather than lose the Mojo. Having a separate source to my phone is more convenient in any case IME. A cheap android phone could be the way forward.

This will solve all of your Apple iOS woes!

Works fabulous, you can keep your phone as a phone... and you can stream to it with Bluetooth. No notifications to kill your music. You can stream music to your home stereo... it'll take MicroSD cards up to 256GB. It is under $100 (CCK is $29 already)... Apple can't decide to do an upgrade and break it, etc. etc. etc.

What DAP is that and does using Bluetooth degrade the sound at all?

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #31,890 of 42,765
Seems to be more of a problem with older iPhones. Good number of people on this thread have no, or very occasional, problems with iPhone 7, including me.

No intention of ditching iPhone for Android. I did that once and lasted just 6 months. Let's also not pretend that DAC threads haven't been full of Android issues too - which cables work, what phones, certain apps, etc. We have a niche product, a small user base, these issues won't be a priority for Apple or Google.
I used to have an iPhone for 4 years until last year I got an Android. Had so many problems with iPhone and a fraction of those problems if any on Android and haven't looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back