Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 3, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #37,021 of 42,765
Use a dedicated DAP such as AK DAPs as your source then you’ll know the real Mojo sound

Im using dp-x1a. But this is what Im talking about. If there is a bit perfect setting, how can what source you use matter then?
Im so confused and frustrated.
I would try and avoid buying anything else without hearing it or being able to return. Try and find a good online dealer, or Amazon have a 30 day return period. If at all possible get along to a meet which will allow you to try out various gear. It is generally accepted that headphones have the biggest effect on changing character of the music... Are you happy with the Shures not using the Mojo? If so maybe the Mojo is not for you. If not perhaps you are looking at the wrong piece of equipment to solve your problem.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #37,023 of 42,765
I would try and avoid buying anything else without hearing it or being able to return. Try and find a good online dealer, or Amazon have a 30 day return period. If at all possible get along to a meet which will allow you to try out various gear. It is generally accepted that headphones have the biggest effect on changing character of the music... Are you happy with the Shures not using the Mojo? If so maybe the Mojo is not for you. If not perhaps you are looking at the wrong piece of equipment to solve your problem.

I know I am a very careful online buyer. But this one, everywhere you read it says its magic.
The thing is I dont know if its burn in or brain burn in or whatever it is, it now starts to sound much fuller and more dynamic.

Everything else is really good. Clarity, layering, separation. It just sounded flat and dry. And thats the reason I didnt enjoy Onkyo 100% and wanted fuller sound.
But the clarity of it, omg. I mean the dp-x1 is a really clean player but the clarity of the Mojo is something else. Really special.

You are probably right. Ive always had trouble with harshness and lack of bass with Shure535. But if you spend some time and eq it they can sound pretty good.

Next week Im going to try it with LCD-2 (if it can power them, some say it kind of do) and see how that sound. I can report back.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #37,024 of 42,765
I know I am a very careful online buyer. But this one, everywhere you read it says its magic.
The thing is I dont know if its burn in or brain burn in or whatever it is, it now starts to sound much fuller and more dynamic.

Everything else is really good. Clarity, layering, separation. It just sounded flat and dry. And thats the reason I didnt enjoy Onkyo 100% and wanted fuller sound.
But the clarity of it, omg. I mean the dp-x1 is a really clean player but the clarity of the Mojo is something else. Really special.

You are probably right. Ive always had trouble with harshness and lack of bass with Shure535. But if you spend some time and eq it they can sound pretty good.

Next week Im going to try it with LCD-2 (if it can power them, some say it kind of do) and see how that sound. I can report back.

I had similar feelings also, when I first got my mojo a few years ago.

At first, I thought, huh whats all the fuss about ? It wasn’t a night and day change from what I was using before but, after a few weeks I started noticing things that I hadn’t heard previously.

Now I can’t live without Mojo and Poly, even though I am about to trade them in for a Hugo TT 2 and MScaler. I will buy a new set in a couple of months time so that I can replace the ones that I traded in. Simply because they are too good. Plus, the Chord and Van Nuys premium case make the thing look great. 10/10 on looks alone.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #37,025 of 42,765
I had similar feelings also, when I first got my mojo a few years ago.

At first, I thought, huh whats all the fuss about ? It wasn’t a night and day change from what I was using before but, after a few weeks I started noticing things that I hadn’t heard previously.

Now I can’t live without Mojo and Poly, even though I am about to trade them in for a Hugo TT 2 and MScaler. I will buy a new set in a couple of months time so that I can replace the ones that I traded in. Simply because they are too good. Plus, the Chord and Van Nuys premium case make the thing look great. 10/10 on looks alone.

Im glad to hear that.

Do they do a case just for Mojo too or its just for Mojo-Poly?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #37,026 of 42,765
Has anyone else had an issue with the coax input being faulty? Mine seems to have a mechanical issue and yes, I have tried a different cable! It feels like it cold be a duff/dry solder joint, but before I break it open, I thought I'd see if it's a known problem, although I can't find anything from a search.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #37,027 of 42,765
Has anyone else had an issue with the coax input being faulty? Mine seems to have a mechanical issue and yes, I have tried a different cable! It feels like it cold be a duff/dry solder joint, but before I break it open, I thought I'd see if it's a known problem, although I can't find anything from a search.
I struggle to remember any issues with physical failure of the socket - the issues tend to be related to using cables with the wrong plug wiring. The differences in plug wiring are explained in the FAQ in post #3.
I suggest check post #3, and if no success, then contact Chord support and see what they say.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #37,028 of 42,765
I struggle to remember any issues with physical failure of the socket - the issues tend to be related to using cables with the wrong plug wiring. The differences in plug wiring are explained in the FAQ in post #3.
I suggest check post #3, and if no success, then contact Chord support and see what they say.

Thanks, I'll have a go through quote 3, but being out of warranty, I have a feeling I'll end up getting the soldering iron out!

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #37,029 of 42,765
I do think it takes time to appreciate the Mojo. I auditioned it several times and did not hear what it was doing. Ended up buying on a months trial. Kept it. Simply found that I was enjoying my music more with it. Good enough for me. If you cannot return it, just use it for a while and stop analysing. If after a month you still don't feel it is improving your enjoyment, stick it on classifieds. You shouldn't lose too much.
It will be interesting to see how you feel about different headphones.
BTW. The official case for the Mojo is very good IMO. A case will protect resale value apart from anything else.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #37,030 of 42,765
Thanks, I'll have a go through quote 3, but being out of warranty, I have a feeling I'll end up getting the soldering iron out!
If post #3 does not provide a solution, then try info@chordelectronics.co.uk next, because they do try and go the extra mile for owners, when possible.
The worst case scenario would be that the advice is to send your Mojo to a service centre, and they quote $300 for a new circuit board (service centres can be a law unto themselves, as to what they try and charge. Some quote $75 and others quote $300 for the same repairs).
Faced with a scenario like that, I can understand if you prefer a DIY solution.
The details about how to open the case and replace batteries, are posted in several places in this thread, which gives you a start point.
The unknown aspect would be if you need to remove the circuit board, to gain access to the joints that need to be soldered.
Anyway good luck.

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #37,032 of 42,765
Thanks a lot ! I've red the section and I concluded that there was no solution Deezer does not allow the use of third-party software like Audirvana

Hello Jaques,

There is a section devoted to connecting/using the Mojo with Apple devices, in the FAQ in post #3.
I suggest read that section of the FAQ first, and see if it answers your questions.
If the answer is not in the FAQ, then we can probably find it somewhere in the thread.

IMPORTANT!: Please be careful with the iOS public betas - they can cause crackling sounds when using Mojo with the CCK

(NB: please also view the VIDEOS section!)

IMPORTANT : It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the cable you are buying correctly fits the connectors on your equipment. None of these links are official endorsements.

If you dislike using the Apple CCK connector, there are some 3rd-party cables which circumvent this, and thereby allow you to use a single cable. However, they are not Apple-certified, so there is a small risk that Apple may find a way to stop them working, in a future iOS update. At this point in time, though (iOS 9.3), many people are successfully using them. Ultimately, please do your own research before buying/trying any of these CCK-circumvention cables!!

1. Also of interest: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/10860#post_12323045

Please note: Chord Electronics does not specifically endorse any cables which seek to circumvent the CCK, so cannot be held responsible for any issues arising therefrom.

1. If you have problems with intermittent connection, read this and please note that even genuine Apple CCK lightning cables can sometimes be faulty

Mojo owners using iOS will need to use a software app, in order to output Hi-Res audio through the Lightning connection. There are a few options:

1. Onkyo HF Player ($10 for HD Version)

1. HiBy Music (free)
Hello Jaques,

There is a section devoted to connecting/using the Mojo with Apple devices, in the FAQ in post #3.
I suggest read that section of the FAQ first, and see if it answers your questions.
If the answer is not in the FAQ, then we can probably find it somewhere in the thread.

IMPORTANT!: Please be careful with the iOS public betas - they can cause crackling sounds when using Mojo with the CCK

IMPORTANT : It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the cable you are buying correctly fits the connectors on your equipment. None of these links are official endorsements.

If you dislike using the Apple CCK connector, there are some 3rd-party cables which circumvent this, and thereby allow you to use a single cable. However, they are not Apple-certified, so there is a small risk that Apple may find a way to stop them working, in a future iOS update. At this point in time, though (iOS 9.3), many people are successfully using them. Ultimately, please do your own research before buying/trying any of these CCK-circumvention cables!!

1. Also of interest: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/10860#post_12323045

Please note: Chord Electronics does not specifically endorse any cables which seek to circumvent the CCK, so cannot be held responsible for any issues arising therefrom.

1. If you have problems with intermittent connection, read this and please note that even genuine Apple CCK lightning cables can sometimes be faulty

Mojo owners using iOS will need to use a software app, in order to output Hi-Res audio through the Lightning connection. There are a few options:

1. HiBy Music (free)
Hello Jaques,

1. HiBy Music (free)

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #37,033 of 42,765
Aug 3, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #37,035 of 42,765
If post #3 does not provide a solution, then try info@chordelectronics.co.uk next, because they do try and go the extra mile for owners, when possible.
The worst case scenario would be that the advice is to send your Mojo to a service centre, and they quote $300 for a new circuit board (service centres can be a law unto themselves, as to what they try and charge. Some quote $75 and others quote $300 for the same repairs).
Faced with a scenario like that, I can understand if you prefer a DIY solution.
The details about how to open the case and replace batteries, are posted in several places in this thread, which gives you a start point.
The unknown aspect would be if you need to remove the circuit board, to gain access to the joints that need to be soldered.
Anyway good luck.

I actually had a really helpful answer back from Chord... the solder pads on the connector are easily accessible, so as soon as I can get to my soldering iron (it's just arrived in a container from London to Auckland!), I'll give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back