Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 11, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #2,418 of 10,857
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #2,419 of 10,857
There is the technical side and there is the brain side.
The brain recognizes patterns and turns things into habits. Technicality aside, getting used to a type of sound is also a habit like feeling cold at 15 degrees celsius during the transition from summer to autumn but sweating at the same temperature as the spring begins after winter. This happens due to the body’s getting used to the previous season.
Of course a more capable equipment will reveal itself, this is another thing; but as far as the taste goes, habit is a strong factor affecting it. So much so that, there may be cases where it will even deny logic.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #2,420 of 10,857
He didn’t say what load he used to measure clipping and at what frequency. Lower frequency requires more power.

He also didn’t address the issue most recordings are compressed and normalized around 0db and any boost can clip the signal.
or perhaps you didn't get it.
By implementing 3 bits overload ability, it means you can boost standard 0db to +18 db output before digital clipping.
Since volume control comes afterwards, if you set the volume at -10db, then you have extra 10db overload headroom, same as setting a -10db preamp at software.
Bottom line, the digital section will not overload, but its higher output into the analog stage may cause it to reach its max output sooner.
The load is irrelevant as that is after the analog stage. At any rate portable devices clip when they run out of voltage supply .
I told you he was thorough !
he did think of that "intermix formula " just as Mr. Spock stated.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #2,421 of 10,857
My two-cents on your post, and to all upgraders to Mojo 2.

I would suggest leave the EQ off for a week or two. That's unless you are outright wanting to recreate the Mojo (1) tonality of course. Or compensating for brighter headphones.

Anyway most press reviews of the Mojo 2 suggest it has better bass, and overall meatier sound than the Mojo.

I say this because I always found Chord upgrades to sound bright at first until I adjusted.

When I initally went from a Meridian Explorer to Chord Mojo it about ten to fourteen days. After that I heard and located the bass as full, the tonal balance right, and everything in place. (The Mojo was right and the Meridian Explorer was wrong. The ME was right in a cheaper way I suppose.)

Before that, I found the Mojo sounded hollow and metallic, or thin as you describe the Mojo 2. Although initally I did notice it had more detail. Then within a few days I noticed it was smoother because it was clearer. (As opposed to the Meridian Explorer sounding smoother because it had more bass and mid-bass bloom. In other words, artificial warmth.)

When I bought the Hugo 2, it took a whole month to fully adjust. Life also felt too short not to listen constantly to the Hugo 2, so that was cool. At first listening to the Hugo 2 was like splinters of mostly, yellow, orange, and red light, were being fired. The new level of detail was blinding and bright; hence why it took a whole month. In the end though, bass on the Hugo 2 easily outclassed the Mojo.

Same when I got TT2. It took about two weeks. As with every upgrade, I could hear the improvements intially but I could not process it all as a whole.

Then when I started driving speakers directly with TT2, meaning no amplifier, I needed at least a week to adjust. More like three weeks to fully settle with it.

As I say, initially each upgrade sounded thinner and brighter. After adjustment, the better DAC simply sounded better.

My last advice is, to hear your new DAC at its best as soon as possible, listen to some new music. Then you're not comparing the old and new DAC, on tracks that you know by heart.

That’s not how “upgrade” works my friend. When was the last time you gone to see your neighborhood orchestra and you said to yourself the sound is too real I can’t process all that realism?

As a general rule, if you are “upgrading” and that upgrade forces you to listen to one or another kind of music or makes you feel like you need to avoid certain kind of music or recording (I don’t mean one or two specific badly mastered recordings), you are doing it wrong.

Some people claim they do not have an adjustment phase. However I don't understand why.

What I said is what I experienced so don't call me a liar, and friend. Many other people report the same as me.

It's also what Rob Watts refers to 'brain burn-in'.

If you want to dispute me any more please go ahead. I will not be replying.

(Going to a live e.g classical concert is different. Your hearing a presentation you never heard before. Hence why at the very end of my post which you ridiculed, I said listen to new music. Additionally live instruments and especially classical instruments are detail powerhouses.)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #2,422 of 10,857
Since volume control comes afterwards, if you set the volume at -10db, then you have extra 10db overload headroom, same as setting a -10db preamp at software.
Bottom line, the digital section will not overload, but its higher output into the analog stage may cause it to reach its max output sooner.
The load is irrelevant as that is after the analog stage. At any rate portable devices clip when they run out of voltage supply .
I told you he was thorough !
he did think of that "intermix formula " just as Mr. Spock stated.
I suppose people will report back when they start experimenting EQ with different cans and music. Clipping at the analog stage is very bad and can potentially damage your headphone.

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #2,423 of 10,857
Some people claim they do not have an adjustment phase. However I don't understand why.

What I said is what I experienced so don't call me a liar, and friend. Many other people report the same as me.

It's also what Rob Watts refers to 'brain burn-in'.

If you want to dispute me any more please go ahead. I will not be replying.

(Going to a live e.g classical concert is different. Your hearing a presentation you never heard before. Hence why at the very end of my post which you ridiculed, I said listen to new music.)
No one said you are lying. If something is a real upgrade you will know it instantly at first listen (this is not related to burn in) - humans have very sensitive hearing and we know when something sounds right or wrong instinctively.

You shouldn’t force yourself to “burn in your brain” And for the love of this hobby don’t let your gear dictate what music you should and should not listen to.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #2,425 of 10,857
On my 2nd (replacement) Mojo 2 and got the same ear piercing white noise twice in the space of 10 minutes. I just tried my iPad Pro and got it again after 20 minutes or so. Seems my original unit wasn't defective and there's obviously something going on when Mojo 2 is connected to some Apple devices. I haven't tired my iPhone yet.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #2,426 of 10,857
On my 2nd (replacement) Mojo 2 and got the same ear piercing white noise twice in the space of 10 minutes. I just tried my iPad Pro and got it again after 20 minutes or so. Seems my original unit wasn't defective and there's obviously something going on when Mojo 2 is connected to some Apple devices. I haven't tired my iPhone yet.
I’ve seen that happening with a bad USB cable losing connection for a fraction of time with my iPhone.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,427 of 10,857
I’ve seen that happening with a bad USB cable losing connection for a fraction of time with my iPhone.
It's happened with Micro USB connection, and USB-C connection (with 2 different good quality cables). No cables were moving/touched when this has been happening either. I'll do some more testing though 👍🏻

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,428 of 10,857
I suppose people will report back when they start experimenting EQ with different cans and music. Clipping at the analog stage is very bad and can potentially damage your headphone.
push any analog Hifi amplifier and it clips - you can't change the laws of physics!
Unless it has some sort of AGC, which is sacrilege in Hifi.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,429 of 10,857
These are my first impressions of the Mojo 2 after four days:

Settings / Hardware
  • Settings: No changes, just as it sounds out of the box
  • My experiences with EQs in general are not the best, I will test the EQ and crossfeed settings of the Mojo 2 later
  • Headphones: Austrian Audio Hi-X65
  • Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy A52

Music (Source: Tidal Master)
  • Smooth sound
  • No boosted bass
  • No harshness
  • Detailed
  • Even studio recordings get a live touch
  • Particularly good instrument separation
  • Noticeable presence of the musicians, much more than without the Mojo 2
  • Great soundstage
I needed nearly no time to get used to the sound of the Mojo 2. This is different to my experiences with other DACs or DAPs I tested (Violectric Chronos, iBasso DX240, Astell & Kern SR25 and a few more). The overall sound improvement is much more obvious with the Mojo 2.

Voices (Podcasts, radio)
  • Sound natural
  • Incredibly good recognition and understanding

Usability
I prefer the haptic feedback of the balls/buttons to on-screen typing and gestures. The usability is much easier, much more intuitive, and more straightforward than expected.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #2,430 of 10,857
FWIW - I’m using it with my Ipad pro 11 inch without issues so far :fingers_crossed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back