Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jul 12, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #8,536 of 10,925
I've been using the Mojo 2 primarily with TOSLINK the past 5 months, and I recently plugged it straight into my laptop for the first time while travelling... because there is no galvanic isolation, I could literally hear everything going on in that computer, even the high freq buzz every time I moved my bluetooth mouse, it was so bad...

Are you using a USB hub of some sort ?

On my HP Z Book plugged into a monitor with a built in hub I get exactly what you describe, moving the bluetooth mouse creates noise etc.

Unplug the extra monitor and that issue disappears.

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #8,537 of 10,925
Are you using a USB hub of some sort ?

On my HP Z Book plugged into a monitor with a built in hub I get exactly what you describe, moving the bluetooth mouse creates noise etc.

Unplug the extra monitor and that issue disappears.

Nope, no hub or external monitor, this is just my MS Surface Studio laptop on its own. I just wanted to connect the Mojo 2 via USB-C.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #8,540 of 10,925
Question to folk that own the Mojo, Mojo 2, and Hugo 2, please.

Where would you place the Mojo 2 between the Mojo and the Hugo 2.. in terms of sound quality alone.

EDIT: No upscaling, no EQ. Just pure sound quality.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #8,541 of 10,925

Where would you place the Mojo between the Mojo and the Hugo 2.
The EQ capability makes it better than both for me. And if you are inclined to use upscaling with the mojo2, it takes it up another notch.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #8,542 of 10,925
Just playing with google's bard AI and very impressed.

Asked "what causes white noise when using the mojo 2"
  • There are a few possible causes of white noise when using the Chord Mojo 2.
    • USB packet loss. This can happen if the USB cable is not properly connected, or if there is interference from other devices. When this happens, the Mojo 2 will receive corrupted data, which can manifest as white noise.
    • EMI/RFI interference. This can be caused by other devices that are emitting electromagnetic or radio frequency interference. This can be anything from a nearby router to a microwave oven.
    • Defective unit. In rare cases, the Mojo 2 itself may be defective and causing the white noise.
    If you are experiencing white noise with your Mojo 2, there are a few things you can try to fix it.
    • Check the USB cable. Make sure that the USB cable is properly connected to both the Mojo 2 and your source device. Try using a different USB cable if you have one.
    • Move the Mojo 2 away from other devices that may be emitting interference. This includes things like routers, microwave ovens, and even fluorescent lights.
    • Update the firmware of the Mojo 2. Chord has released firmware updates for the Mojo 2 that have addressed some issues with white noise. You can check for firmware updates on the Chord website.
    • Contact Chord support. If you have tried all of the above and you are still experiencing white noise, you can contact Chord support for further assistance.
    Here are some additional tips to help prevent white noise from occurring:
    • Use a high-quality USB cable.
    • Keep the Mojo 2 away from other devices that may be emitting interference.
    • Update the firmware of the Mojo 2.
    • If you are still experiencing white noise, contact Chord support.
...Not too shabby.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #8,544 of 10,925
...but then I asked "what are the best headphones"...

There are many great headphones on the market, but some of the best overall headphones include:

• Sony WH-1000XM4: These headphones offer excellent noise cancellation, superb sound quality, and long battery life.
    Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones
  • Bose QuietComfort 45: These headphones are a close second to the Sony WH-1000XM4, offering similar noise cancellation and sound quality.
    Bose QuietComfort 45 headphones
  • Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless: These headphones offer excellent sound quality, a comfortable design, and long battery life.
    Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless headphones
  • Apple AirPods Pro: These earbuds offer active noise cancellation, great sound quality, and a comfortable fit.
    Apple AirPods Pro headphones
  • Bose QuietComfort Earbuds: These earbuds offer excellent noise cancellation, great sound quality, and a comfortable fit.
    Bose QuietComfort Earbuds headphones
Here are some other great headphones to consider, depending on your budget and needs:

• Budget: Anker Soundcore Life Q30, Philips PH805, Jabra Elite 45h
    Anker Soundcore Life Q30 headphones
    chevron_right

• Mid-range: Sennheiser HD 560S, Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO, AKG K371
    Sennheiser HD 560S headphones
    chevron_right

• Premium: Sennheiser HD 800 S, Audeze LCD-5, Focal Clear Mg
    Sennheiser HD 800 S headphones
    chevron_right

Ultimately, the best headphones for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Consider what you'll be using the headphones for, what kind of sound signature you prefer, and how much you're willing to spend. Once you've considered these factors, you'll be able to narrow down your choices and find the perfect pair of headphones for you.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #8,545 of 10,925

Where would you place the Mojo 2 between the Mojo and the Hugo 2.
Agreed about the upscaling!! It brings the mojo2 very close to the qutest not sure if I can tell a difference really. I had the qutest before replacing it with the ifi pro

I suppose I should have thought of that.

I meant with the EQ set to off, on the Mojo 2. Where does the Mojo 2 sit in terms of sound quality between the Mojo and the Hugo 2.

Sound quality being the point of the question. (With no upscaling on any DAC.)

I also made a typo in my question, so corrected that now, and edited original question.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #8,546 of 10,925
...but then I asked "what are the best headphones"...

There are many great headphones on the market, but some of the best overall headphones include:

• Sony WH-1000XM4: These headphones offer excellent noise cancellation, superb sound quality, and long battery life.
  • Bose QuietComfort 45: These headphones are a close second to the Sony WH-1000XM4, offering similar noise cancellation and sound quality.
  • Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless: These headphones offer excellent sound quality, a comfortable design, and long battery life.
  • Apple AirPods Pro: These earbuds offer active noise cancellation, great sound quality, and a comfortable fit.
  • Bose QuietComfort Earbuds: These earbuds offer excellent noise cancellation, great sound quality, and a comfortable fit.
Here are some other great headphones to consider, depending on your budget and needs:

• Budget: Anker Soundcore Life Q30, Philips PH805, Jabra Elite 45h
    chevron_right

• Mid-range: Sennheiser HD 560S, Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO, AKG K371
    chevron_right

• Premium: Sennheiser HD 800 S, Audeze LCD-5, Focal Clear Mg
    chevron_right

Ultimately, the best headphones for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Consider what you'll be using the headphones for, what kind of sound signature you prefer, and how much you're willing to spend. Once you've considered these factors, you'll be able to narrow down your choices and find the perfect pair of headphones for you.
I actually own a pair of Sony wh-1000xm4, the other day I plugged it to the mojo2 and it sounded pretty good without any eq but that is my only headphones. I have just ordered a pair of truthear red zero as my first pair of iem. Not being a headphone person, I am not sure if these are even the right choice for the mojo2

Jul 14, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #8,547 of 10,925
Which DACs have you found to be a significant upgrade from Mojo 2? Speaking of DAC sections only. I guess it's hard to beat this euphonic quality Mojo 2 has.

Yes, it's an incredible sounding DAC, but to answer that question, the responses won't really be fair - I recently bought a Mola Mola Tambaqui, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mol...nd-headphone-amp.942546/page-26#post-17634870, and it's in a whole different dimension.

For the price however, Mojo 2 is unbeatable, and it replaced a Topping E70V and A90D stack I had for a short time after selling the Hugo MTT2 stack. Not to mention it was far more convenient.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #8,548 of 10,925
Just playing with google's bard AI and very impressed.

Asked "what causes white noise when using the mojo 2"
  • There are a few possible causes of white noise when using the Chord Mojo 2.
    • USB packet loss. This can happen if the USB cable is not properly connected, or if there is interference from other devices. When this happens, the Mojo 2 will receive corrupted data, which can manifest as white noise.
    • EMI/RFI interference. This can be caused by other devices that are emitting electromagnetic or radio frequency interference. This can be anything from a nearby router to a microwave oven.
    • Defective unit. In rare cases, the Mojo 2 itself may be defective and causing the white noise.
    If you are experiencing white noise with your Mojo 2, there are a few things you can try to fix it.
    • Check the USB cable. Make sure that the USB cable is properly connected to both the Mojo 2 and your source device. Try using a different USB cable if you have one.
    • Move the Mojo 2 away from other devices that may be emitting interference. This includes things like routers, microwave ovens, and even fluorescent lights.
    • Update the firmware of the Mojo 2. Chord has released firmware updates for the Mojo 2 that have addressed some issues with white noise. You can check for firmware updates on the Chord website.
    • Contact Chord support. If you have tried all of the above and you are still experiencing white noise, you can contact Chord support for further assistance.
    Here are some additional tips to help prevent white noise from occurring:
    • Use a high-quality USB cable.
    • Keep the Mojo 2 away from other devices that may be emitting interference.
    • Update the firmware of the Mojo 2.
    • If you are still experiencing white noise, contact Chord support.
...Not too shabby.

Chord don't do firmware updates for its DACs. AI fail.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #8,549 of 10,925
On the issue with white noise, I've used my Mojo 2 almost exclusively with my Mac and have found an issue twice:
I connect it to the left-hand side of the Mac which has two ports, with a USB-C > micro USB-A for charging and at the same time a USB-C > USB-C for data.
Generally everything is fine but one day I connected the two USB C connectors on the Mac the opposite way around ie the port that was providing power was now providing data and vice-versa.
Got white noise every few seconds until I reversed them back again.

The other time I have a problem is if I place the Mojo 2 on top of the Mac, to the left of the trackpad. I do this to avoid having it just 'hang' off its cables but when I move it, I get a lot of very loud crackles, noise etc. and on the first occasion the left channel stopped working until I rebooted the Mojo.
I'm guessing this is due to the magnet in the speaker under the Mac chassis in that position but wondered if others have had this problem or can confirm?
It's a 2019 MacBook Pro 16"

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #8,550 of 10,925
On the issue with white noise, I've used my Mojo 2 almost exclusively with my Mac and have found an issue twice:
I connect it to the left-hand side of the Mac which has two ports, with a USB-C > micro USB-A for charging and at the same time a USB-C > USB-C for data.
Generally everything is fine but one day I connected the two USB C connectors on the Mac the opposite way around ie the port that was providing power was now providing data and vice-versa.
Got white noise every few seconds until I reversed them back again.

The other time I have a problem is if I place the Mojo 2 on top of the Mac, to the left of the trackpad. I do this to avoid having it just 'hang' off its cables but when I move it, I get a lot of very loud crackles, noise etc. and on the first occasion the left channel stopped working until I rebooted the Mojo.
I'm guessing this is due to the magnet in the speaker under the Mac chassis in that position but wondered if others have had this problem or can confirm?
It's a 2019 MacBook Pro 16"
I have not used M2 with Macbook but I use it with the ThinkPad X1 Nano, it only has 2 USB-C ports on the left side, and the left speaker is very near the USB-C ports. If we assume that the white noise is affected by the magnetic (produced by the magnet as you mentioned), my use case would cause the white noise too since as I described, there are 2 magnetic sources in my case: one from the USB-C charging port, and one from the speaker, but I have used M2 for 6 months and have never faced the white noise issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back