Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 23, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #9,676 of 10,895
Yes and no. As you might guess, it can give you a rough estimate of how they compare, but ultimately it really just tells you how they compare to one another while using the Mojo 2.

And how they compare at different volumes which isn’t much of a comparison at all.

If taking the time to adjust the volume you are doing away with the perceived benefit of the two headphone jacks in terms of being able to compare anything meaningfully.

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #9,677 of 10,895
Well, of course it’s how they compare while using Mojo2, that’s the point, isn’t it? And part of that comparison is how easy or otherwise each headphone is to drive; what volume setting do I prefer each headphone at, I wonder how the Mojo2 changes at different volume settings if it even does at all, with Mojo2 I wonder if I prefer one of these for long term listening and the other for short bursts?

It’s not a shootout that has to be controlled in every way, it’s playing with a few products over a longer period of time and finding out what it’s actually like to live with them instead of trying to choose a “winner”. Proper real world experience.

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #9,678 of 10,895
Well, of course it’s how they compare while using Mojo2, that’s the point, isn’t it? And part of that comparison is how easy or otherwise each headphone is to drive; what volume setting do I prefer each headphone at, I wonder how the Mojo2 changes at different volume settings if it even does at all, with Mojo2 I wonder if I prefer one of these for long term listening and the other for short bursts?

It’s not a shootout that has to be controlled in every way, it’s playing with a few products over a longer period of time and finding out what it’s actually like to live with them instead of trying to choose a “winner”. Proper real world experience.
Does this mean, that you believe Mojo2 adds or subtracts or even interacts with headphones it is connected to?
If we take it as gospel that Mojo2 is completely transparent, acts with no distortions of any kind (nothing added, nothing taken out), with an output stage of miniscule impedance, as to not interact with the loads it is connected to, then any differences in the sound quality, between the two headphones, are due solely to the headphones.
It means, if one is to repeat the experiment with any other DAC/amp of Mojo2 quality or better, the results would be identical.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #9,679 of 10,895
And how they compare at different volumes which isn’t much of a comparison at all.

If taking the time to adjust the volume you are doing away with the perceived benefit of the two headphone jacks in terms of being able to compare anything meaningfully.
I have set up comparisons in the past on Mojo 2 by level matching with separate Roon ARC profiles for each headphone. Just as quick and easy as swapping headphones off and on my head. Not terribly difficult. I do the same with my desktop amp, but with regular Roon DSP instead of ARC's DSP. Level matching for A/B comparisons is no biggie these days.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #9,680 of 10,895
I can't see the appeal of using DAP when a Mojo 2 and an iPhone are around, so I decided to turn the Mojo 2 into a MagSafe accessory. The idea came after looking at the Khadas Tea, which has a great design and makes me wonder why aren't more portable DAC/Amps with MagSafe coming along. I also saw Darko Audio's review of the Mojo 2 where he hacked the Mojo 2 attachment to an iPhone 13 mini using velcro, missing the opportunity to take advantage of MagSafe and ending up with an ugly result.

I know some people already mentioned adding MagSafe to the Mojo here but not many details or pictures of the result were added, so here's the setup I came up with.

First the requirements:

1) I wanted the integration to be as slick as possible with no dangling USB cables nor any USB connectors sticking out more than they should. The connector on the phone side should always be angled.
2) It should help protect both 90º and straight headphone jacks when I'm either holding the package in my hands or in a pocket.
3) No direct modifications to the Mojo itself.

Then the result.

When using headphones with a straight jacket, the Mojo's USB port is on the top side, and the USB cable used is 25cm long with one angled connector on the phone side and one straight connector on the Mojo side:

IMG_0262.jpeg
IMG_0264.jpeg

For headphones with 90º jacks, the Mojo is turned around and connects with a 15cm long cable with angled jacks on both sides is used. A thin USB cable wire is helpful to coil the cable and tuck it under the edge of the Mojo case:

IMG_0260.jpeg
IMG_0261.jpeg

To set up MagSafe, I got these metal "MagSafe-compatible" plate and sticked it to the underside of the Leather case. I could have stacked a few plates directly on the Mojo to level with Mojo feet, but I didn't want to modify the Mojo, plus the result wouldn't look as elegant nor would I have the protective benefit of the leather case.

IMG_0265.jpeg

The MagSafe plate and the cables were all obtained for about 20eur. total. The end result is super neat and all involved cable connectors are as flush or protected as possible.

Edit: @paulrbarnard suggested the success of this setup might be dependent on the magnets from the Peak Design case. He's right. Without the case the phone's built-in magnets won't come close to being able to hold the Mojo.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #9,681 of 10,895
I can't see the appeal of using DAP when a Mojo 2 and an iPhone are around, so I decided to turn the Mojo 2 into a MagSafe accessory. The idea came after looking at the Khadas Tea, which has a great design and makes me wonder why aren't more portable DAC/Amps with MagSafe coming along. I also saw Darko Audio's review of the Mojo 2 where he hacked the Mojo 2 attachment to an iPhone 13 mini using velcro, missing the opportunity to take advantage of MagSafe and ending up with an ugly result.

I know some people already mentioned adding MagSafe to the Mojo here but not many details or pictures of the result were added, so here's the setup I came up with.

First the requirements:

1) I wanted the integration to be as slick as possible with no dangling USB cables nor any USB connectors sticking out more than they should. The connector on the phone side should always be angled.
2) It should help protect both 90º and straight headphone jacks when I'm either holding the package in my hands or in a pocket.

Then the result.

When using headphones with a straight jacket, the Mojo's USB port is on the top side, and the USB cable used is 25cm long with one angled connector on the phone side and one straight connector on the Mojo side:

IMG_0262.jpeg IMG_0264.jpeg

For headphones with 90º jacks, the Mojo is turned around and connects with a 15cm long cable with angled jacks on both sides is used. A thin USB cable wire is helpful to coil the cable and tuck it under the edge of the Mojo case:

IMG_0260.jpeg IMG_0261.jpeg

To set up MagSafe, I got these metal "MagSafe-compatible" plate and sticked it to the underside of the Leather case. I could have stacked a few plates directly on the Mojo to level with Mojo feet, but I didn't want to modify the Mojo, plus the result wouldn't look as elegant nor would I have the protective benefit of the leather case.

IMG_0265.jpeg

The MagSafe plate and the cables were all obtained for about 20eur. total. The end result is super neat and all involved cable connectors are as flush or protected as possible.
I dig it, but I'm reluctant to put a magnet right against the Mojo 2's case. What's the word on these ultra-thin magnets and audio signal interference?

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #9,684 of 10,895

First the requirements:

Then the result.

Maybe you don't see many magsafe dacs, because owners don't want to attach their sensitive dac to an iPhone RFI generator.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-1-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-13164701

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #9,685 of 10,895

First the requirements:

Then the result.

IMG_0262.jpeg

IMG_0261.jpeg

IMG_0265.jpeg

How secure is it? The Mojo2 is kinda heavy. The magsafe battery pack (which feels similar to mojo2 weight) is pretty secure, but thin. The added bulk of the Mojo2 with case seems like it would easily detach.

I like the idea though.

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #9,686 of 10,895
How secure is it? The Mojo2 is kinda heavy. The magsafe battery pack (which feels similar to mojo2 weight) is pretty secure, but thin. The added bulk of the Mojo2 with case seems like it would easily detach.

I like the idea though.
It won’t fall off unless I shake it violently. It may rotate a bit around the magnets but that’s mostly if you try doing that on purpose.

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #9,687 of 10,895
Jan 23, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #9,688 of 10,895
The simple solution would be to turn on airplane mode. Of course, then you can't receive calls outside of WiFi. When you are enjoying the Mojo2, that may not be a bad idea...
Yes, but it was very noticeable on the Mojo OG thread, that after starting as a dac intended to be tightly connected to a phone, that eventually many owners preferred using DAPS or Poly as a source, or alternatively learnt to live with long cables.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #9,689 of 10,895
Does this mean, that you believe Mojo2 adds or subtracts or even interacts with headphones it is connected to?
If we take it as gospel that Mojo2 is completely transparent, acts with no distortions of any kind (nothing added, nothing taken out), with an output stage of miniscule impedance, as to not interact with the loads it is connected to, then any differences in the sound quality, between the two headphones, are due solely to the headphones.
It means, if one is to repeat the experiment with any other DAC/amp of Mojo2 quality or better, the results would be identical.
No, I’m only saying that comparing the two headphones means you’re hearing two different systems. After all, we can’t listen to an amp/DAC or a pair of headphones, we can only listen to the music they produce as a connected system. Change the amp, DAC or headphone and the system is different.
Mojo2 and TT2 - different resolving ability, output power, detail retrieval, staging, etc. Both really transparent DAC/amps, but swapping between them with one headphone you get different experiences.
Two headphones then complicates matters a little. Maybe the headphone you prefer on Mojo2 becomes too detail heavy via TT2 for your preferences? Maybe the headphone that just the right amount of bass for you on TT2 is too bass light on Mojo2? So which headphone you prefer changes because the system is different now.
I generally steer away from “all else being equal” type statements because with so many variables things rarely are equal.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #9,690 of 10,895
It seems like level matching two headphones on the mojo would be pretty easy by just looking at colors and counting clicks.

Rapid ABX has limitations as well. Using the Mojo as a DAC into two separate amps seems like a nice way to compare systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back