Chord Mojo2 Loaner Program from TTVJAudio.com
Mar 14, 2022 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
HI All,

We are opening a new loaner program featuring the Chord Mojo2. We have one to send out and several in stock for immediate delivery.

chordmojo21.jpg

Loaner rules are the same as always (listed below) and we will limit this program to 5 participants. It will ship out this week to the first one to sign up.

Loaner Program Rules:

Email your name and address, telephone number and your Head-Fi user name to me (Todd) at todd@ttvjaudio.com. Do NOT PM me as you will not be included in the program without an email.

You will get the loaner for 1 week to use in your home with your system. After your one week is up, you must send it to the next loaner participant. Email me (todd@ttvjaudio.com) the tracking info so I can pass it on to the recipient.

You MUST write a review and post it in this loaner thread. It must be posted in the same thread as this announcement for the loaner program. Please post the review here first and feel free to post it somewhere else if you like!

Once you have received the loaner, email me to let me know you have it and I will send the address for the next person.

Our loaner programs are USA only. We are restricted from shipping/selling outside the USA on most products.

Look forward to hearing from you and seeing your impressions here in this thread!

Todd

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 38
HI All,

We are opening a new loaner program featuring the Chord Mojo2. We have one to send out and several in stock for immediate delivery.

chordmojo21.jpg

Loaner rules are the same as always (listed below) and we will limit this program to 5 participants. It will ship out this week to the first one to sign up.

Loaner Program Rules:

Email your name and address, telephone number and your Head-Fi user name to me (Todd) at todd@ttvjaudio.com. Do NOT PM me as you will not be included in the program without an email.

You will get the loaner for 1 week to use in your home with your system. After your one week is up, you must send it to the next loaner participant. Email me (todd@ttvjaudio.com) the tracking info so I can pass it on to the recipient.

You MUST write a review and post it in this loaner thread. It must be posted in the same thread as this announcement for the loaner program. Please post the review here first and feel free to post it somewhere else if you like!

Once you have received the loaner, email me to let me know you have it and I will send the address for the next person.

Our loaner programs are USA only. We are restricted from shipping/selling outside the USA on most products.

Look forward to hearing from you and seeing your impressions here in this thread!

Todd
Thanks as always for setting up these tours!!

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 38
I would love to join too. i have been debating selling the Mojo 1 and some other DACs to get the M2.

EDIT: email sent

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 38
If it's true that Mojo 2 sounds even better, and can now be powered externally 24/7 to Desktop with no SQ loss, that is HUGE, and the only thing I wanted that Mojo 1 didn't have.

Mar 16, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 38
Hi All,

Here is the final list for the participants. There is one more who I await all the info to complete his sign-up. It will be shipping out today or tomorrow. Have fun - I look forward to seeing what you think of the new Mojo2! Todd

Chord Mojo2 Loaner Participants

WNBC

elira

wormsdriver

HeyWaj10

Leondikim

kadinh

dskelto

CT007

PACSman

Mercuttio

inmytaxi

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 38
I CAN NOT WAIT to compare the M2 to all my current DACs! Thank you very much for setting this up!

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 38
What cable(s) does it come with? A charger, also? (Looks like just the Micro-USB-to-USB charging cable, in the box accessories)
box.png

cabal.png

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 38
The TTVJ demo Mojo 2 comes with a 6-inch micro-USB cable. Not sure if it is the same when buying new. No charger, but I have plenty of 5V/2A chargers around the house.

Very impressed so far, but I've had limited time using it so more thoughts later. Probably like many of you, I was a Mojo 1 owner. The form factor and sound of version 2 does not disappoint. Borrowing some headphone gear from a friend so will be able to test it out with even more gear.

For me, I've taken a bit of time away from the hobby and now thinking of what will be that first major piece of the puzzle added back. I have many fond memories of Mojo 1 --> LTA MZ2 --> HD800S. A new and improved Mojo could be that first addition. Let's see how I feel over the course of a week.

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 38
CHORD MOJO 2 REVIEW by WNBC
Thank you @Todd @TTVJ for running another loaner program for us audio enthusiasts. I believe this will be the 3rd time I’ve participated in the program over a span of 10 years. Not many high-end audio companies do this, so it’s greatly appreciated when it does happen.

INTRODUCTION
After sliming down my headphone rig and taking a break from the world of headphones, I came back to find TTVJ was having a Chord Mojo 2 loaner program. Having not followed audio developments for a while, Mojo 2 was news to me, but probably not to the rest of you. However, like many of you, I owned the original Mojo and was fond of its form factor, features and sonic qualities. I won’t rely on audio memory to make big statements about Mojo 1 vs Mojo 2. Mojo 1 was a solid performer in my old rigs, and it lasted until it was time for me to try something new. My goal here was to evaluate Mojo 2 as a DAC/amp that I may want to purchase as that first piece to re-establish a desktop rig or improve upon my portable setup which is now primarily the Hiby R3 Pro Saber.

PREFERENCES / BIAS
Favorite recent rig = Holo Audio Spring DAC KTE -> LTA MZ2 -> Sennheiser HD800S, Grado GH-1
Favorite old rig = W4S DAC-2 -> Decware ZBOX -> Pioneer SX-737 -> Hifiman HE-500, Audeze LCD-2
Favorite DAP = iBasso DX220

While I can appreciate a neutral, solid-state produced sound, I can also say I’ve owned many lush tube-based rigs from Decware and Mapletree Audio. Overall, I like a touch of warmth in my headphones and amps, but not so much that it would come at the sacrifice of details in the music. The Linear Tube Audio ZOTL amps appeal to me the most because you get the tube tone without the syrup. Most of the time I’m listening to jazz trios with a good mix of reggae, Afropop, 90’s hip hop, soul, electronica, and folk.

TESTING SETUPS
a.) PC (J River, Tidal) -> Mojo 2 FiiO or M11 plus LTD -> iBasso iT03
b.) MacBook PC (Amarra, Tidal) -> Mojo 2 -> RNHP -> HD800S / HD6XX / Custom Fleasbaby Ypsilon R1 or 225e
c.) Hiby R3 Pro Saber -> Mojo 2 -> HD800S / HD6XX / Custom Fleasbaby Ypsilon R1 or 225e
d.) Hiby R3 Pro Saber -> Mojo 2 -> Emotiva A-150 amp -> KEF Q150 speakers + Era subwoofer

Thank you @snapple10 for lending me the FiiO M11, HD800S and Rupert Neve RNHP.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS
Who knew a palm-sized block of aluminum could sound so good? I guess the answer is Mojo 1 and now version 2 owners. One can argue about consumer pricing, but objectively the Mojo 2 delivers low-distortion music that is dynamic, transparent, articulate, and detailed. Since I do not currently have a Mojo 1, I can’t make a direct comparison of it to Mojo 2, but it’s safe to say Mojo 2 is not by default colored in sound due to the amazing tech inside. The advancements in Mojo 2 are well documented in other threads and reviews. Feed the Mojo a clean signal and you’re getting in return exactly what your headphones are meant to convey. Music displayed through this piece of Chord hardware is natural in its timbre and it only takes a second to appreciate the delicacy in one’s most familiar tracks. All the while the subtlety is pleasantly broken by impressive jumps between softness and loudness. Mojo 2 has no trouble tracking info from the source. Reproduction speed and the ability to drive some of my favorites, HD800 or HD6XX, ensured the experience was never lackluster. Mojo 2 easily passed the Shpongle test with flying colors. The Mojo 2’s bass is well controlled and goes deep. The midrange is the sweet area, weighty and textured. Mojo 2 is a highly capable piece. Whether it is the piece one needs is a matter of budget, gear overlap, and intended usage.

SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE OUTCOMES
a.) PC (J River, Tidal) -> Mojo 2 FiiO or M11 plus LTD -> iBasso iT03

This is a potential work setup replacing my current Hiby R3 Pro Saber. Though not the flashiest IEM, I’m a big fan of the modest iBasso IT03. Does a lot of things well without sacrificing too much, especially considering the price of a new one is a third of what it was a couple years ago. For my money an excellent universal IEM that covers many genres well. I don’t own any other comparably priced DACs at the moment, but I was able to compare the Mojo 2 to the FiiO M11. Different kinds of beasts, but close enough in price. I enjoy my R3 for what it does at its price point, but I did not include it in my direct observations. I found the R3 not to be on par with the Mojo 2 or M11 in terms of resolution, pacing or articulation, even when eliminating the amp sections by outputting to the RNHP. However, R3 was good as a sourcing feeding the Mojo 2 using a dual-ended USB-C cable.

For my tastes, the Mojo 2 was the clear winner over the FiiO M11. In reality, there may not be a lot of people making decisions between the Chord Mojo 2 and FiiO M11. If you need a standalone DAP, then the choice is easy.

Mojo 2 won out in regard to depth, definition, and PRaT. The M11 wasn’t that far behind in resolution but it was a bit laid back for my taste. The M11 in balanced mode did close the gap. It is a solid DAP, but if my goal is sound quality rather than convenience then Mojo 2 was my champion. Mojo presented a more holographic sound. Listening to Marvin Gaye’s “I want you” was a treat as you got excellent layering of the different vocal tracks giving a floating type of presentation. The M11 was slightly behind in pacing, which made it appear sluggish with less of Mojo’s good reverberation. This was also apparent with classical (“JS Bach: Partita for Violin Solo No. 2”), jazz (“Two Roses”) or electronica (“SBCNCSLY”) with the M11’s speed lagging behind the Mojo. If I wasn’t making a direct comparison, then I may not know what I’m missing. The Mojo 2 gives you a punchy, effortless performance due in part to its phrasing and palpable delivery of notes. Mojo 2 is far from aggressive, it’s an easy, non-fatiguing ride.

Work Rig.jpg

b.) MacBook PC (Amarra, Tidal) -> Mojo 2 -> RNHP -> HD800S / HD6XX / Custom Fleasbaby Ypsilon R1 or 225e
At home I use a Mac and to these ears, PC and Mac delivered the same goods with the Mojo 2. Moving from the IT03 IEM to full sized headphones did not change my opinion about the Mojo 2 or the FiiO M11. The preference goes to Mojo 2 with an overall livelier sound. With the neutral yet full body sounding RNHP amp in play it was possible to just evaluate the DAC sections of the equipment. The Mojo attack and decay was better than the M11. Again, M11 pacing was not on par even with the RNHP doing the heavy lifting. Mojo 2’s bass reproduction was full and extended, not a hint of boominess even with my bass test track (“The Big Sleep Is Over”). The M11’s bass was far from a lost cause, just slightly more one-note when confronted with the most challenging of bass-heavy recordings. M11 is a solid desktop DAC or DAP and when paired with a decent amp one can easily be happy with the setup for more harder to drive headphones. The Mojo 2 is just performing at a higher level, and I would feel very comfortable, as I had in the past with Mojo 1, complementing it with a top tier amp.

Home 3.jpg

c.) Hiby R3 Pro Saber -> Mojo 2 -> HD800S / HD6XX / Custom Fleasbaby Ypsilon R1 or 225e
Nothing significant changed when I used the R3 as the source rather than a computer. There possibly was a blacker background when using the R3. Makes sense when thinking about how noisy computer audio can be, but I’m not sure I would pass a blindfolded test. In any case, the fact the inexpensive and small R3 was on par with laptop or PC was great.

d.) Hiby R3 Pro Saber -> Mojo 2 -> Emotiva A-150 amp -> KEF Q150 speakers + Era subwoofer
In my workout room I have a very simple speaker rig. This is where I experienced my biggest grin with the Mojo 2 replacing the iFi Zen Blue v1. Ok, maybe not a fair fight. Bluetooth input into the Zen vs cabled digital input to the Mojo. With that said, I really appreciated what the Mojo was bringing to the table, which was high definition, dynamic sound that was fast and punchy. The bass was now tighter than I had experienced before. While a thick low end may be ok for workout music, I was now appreciating songs for their natural portrayal with the Mojo at the helm. Details in the tracks were crisp and snappy. I realized that if I started to invest more in a speaker rig that the Mojo would not be a bottleneck and more than capable of delivering quality sound to a higher end amp and drivers.

speaker 1.jpg

WEAKNESSES
Chord took the minimalist approach to accessories for the Mojo 2. I would have appreciated a USB-C cable, a silicone mat for mounting a source and maybe a pamphlet quick guide/manual. I quickly got over those wishes and enjoyed the Mojo. I am a fan of Grado headphones and the pairing with the Mojo did not delight me as much. The Grado and Ypsilon were a little harsh straight out of the Mojo 2. Adding the RNHP provided more weight while maintaining detail, making them more listenable. I don’t recall this being an issue with Mojo 1 and its warmer tuning. I am ok living with the neutrality of version 2 yet something to keep in mind when one’s headphones are already tipped bright. I did not speak much about soundstage as it is the hardest to convey. Depth was excellently layered, but I found the width to be average for a portable system. Again, I do hate to rely on foggy audio memory, but I can say my previous Spring DAC was in a different league in regard to soundstage and imaging. I only bring it up as some will say Mojo 2’s price tag makes it fair game for scrutiny. Some will also say Mojo 2 will rival many high-end desktop DACs. That may be true, but only up to a certain point.

CONCLUSION
Mojo 2 is on my short list of possible purchases. If an individual was a fan of Mojo 1 then Mojo 2 doesn’t disappoint. The transition to a more neutral profile in Mojo 2 is not a problem for me. I didn’t prioritize time to go through the different equalizer options. I tend not to mess around with such features, but I recognize that it may have been useful for my Grados. At a cost of about $725 you are getting an excellent desktop DAC/amp that has portability. My long-term needs are primarily for a desktop DAC, so the decision is tough for me as there many standalone options in the $500-1000 range. Even so, I would easily be happy with the Mojo 2 as I contemplated future purchases. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the Mojo 2 to individuals with a need for portability and high-end sound requiring only a source of one’s own choosing.

PLAYLIST
JS Bach: Partita for Violin Solo No. 2 in D Minor by The Hilliard Ensemble, Christoph Poppen
Sonata No. 1 in G Minor - Adagio by Pavlo Beznosiuk
Gamut Warning by Helge Lien Trio
Two Roses by Avishai Cohen, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
The Joke by Brandi Carlile
SBCNCLY by Black Coffee, Sabrina Claudio
Renegade by Heavyweight Dub Champion
The Big Sleep Is Over by Big Boi, Sleepy Brown, KAY-I
Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits
Weeping Pirates by Groundation
Ederlezi by Barcelona Gipsy Klezmer Orchestra
Divine Moments by Shpongle
Kmo Yam by Chen Levy