Classical music clubs?
Jan 1, 2007 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Looks like I'm in a bit of a quandry! Well now that I have this large expensive music setup, I'm getting back into audio CDs.....and if I can find it: SACDs! While listening to some of my old classical CDs from when I was a BMG member, I noticed a few of my favorite ones have scratches on them. So that got me to check out BMG and yourmusic, and I was shocked to see that they have a seriously limited classical selection now!!!!!!!
eek.gif

So I scoured the net to find a copy of one of my scratched discs: Itzak Perlman : Carmen arangements by Sarasate. I was young and nieve when I was handling CDs without protective sleeves
mad.gif
Cause now the cheapest site I can find it for is still $16. When I was collecting CDs through BMG, I was used to them being about $8 a CD. iTunes actually has a large collection of classical music, and so for $10 I tried downloading this particular album. I've just done an A/B of my original scratched CD vs the newly burned one from iTunes. No doubt about it that Apple doesn't compress albums right!!!! Not nearly as dynamic as the original CD. So this rules out collecting albums through iTunes.

Anyone now of any music clubs like yourmusic or BMG for classical music?

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 7
While you may not be able to duplicate your cd if it's out of print, the Carmen Fantasie by Perlman is still available on his "Greatest Hits" cds. You can pick those up at Amazon starting at $8.89 for new and $4.15 for used. Those prices aren't really that bad, are they? Btw, the newer ones may have been remastered and be of better sound quality. Then again they may not be remastered. One thing I do know about the more recent compilations is that they include more music than the original cds.

B000001GIO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Btw, yourmusic.com does have a pretty extensive classical collection, but their website seems to be getting maintenance work done because you really can't access the collections. In case you are not aware of this, yourmusic has just raised their cd price from $5.99 to $6.99. I'll bet they are finally adding more titles now that the price has gone up.

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 7
humm....guess I'll be patient with yourmusic then. I know they're affiliated with BMG. I signed up with them first, and that's when I noticed their online catalog was very limited (for example, there were only a few albums of Itzak Perlman with more compilations with him in them). I'll keep my eyes peeled with them and BMG to see if their selection does improve after the site upgrade. I thought maybe they had reduced their collection since I notice there's not a seperate BMG Classical Club on the BMG site anymore (it has been a few years since I last bought from BMG)!

In the meantime, I did go on a classical shopping spree today. Found the original Carmen recording through Circuit City. And my favorite recording of Mozart's Requim: Marriner's version. Then while I was on yourmusic, I saw a really good price for the complete Mozart Symphonies: Marriner collection. Also the complete Satie piano works. Going through all of Mozart and Satie will probably keep me entertained until the site upgrades!

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meanwhile, I hope you are taking better care of your cds now.
wink.gif

oh yes.....new ones I'll be leaving in jewel cases doing the big racks deal.
eggosmile.gif
Especially if CDs are now going out of print
rolleyes.gif
Old ones I'll always keep in sleeves. Years inbetween college and grad school were bad on them, as I'd sometimes leave them out and stacked
redface.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back