Click+Popping sound from E17 DAC! Help!!
Dec 28, 2012 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Andifer

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm a beginner in this field so I thought I'd start with some basic headphone + amp.

I got my HD 598 last year and have been loving it ever since.

I finally got some money to buy amp and DAC and since many recommended fiio to be a entry level amp and dac, I decided to get the e7/e9 combo.

I received them today and went to test them out.
The E9 works fine with line in to my iphone then out to my HD598.
The E7 works fine with line in to iphone then to HD598.

However, the DAC of E7 seems to be causing some problem.

Whenever I have my E7 connected to the PC then out to my headphone, I hear a constant buzzing noise.
The same happens when I use E9/E7 together.

If it was just the buzzing, I wouldn't mind since they became almost negligent once the music starts, but while the music is playing, there seems to be lot of random popping and static noise in intervals.

I heard the buzzing noise is normal for E7 but is the static and popping supposed to happen?
I tried using all the USB ports and also different computer but problem still insist.

Did I just get a defective one? or is there a way to solve this?

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 25
yes I did.

so the music is coming out through the e7/e9 to my headphone.

It's just the low humming and the static+popping sound that constantly appear when listening to music.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 25
bump/update.

I replaced the e7/e9 with e17/e90k.
I didn't want the low humming of e7 and thought might as well just spend few more bucks upgrading them.

I got them today and the random static/clicking noise is still present.

I checked both unit individually (aux USB etc)
Seems like the problem is occurring with my USB port.
Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to fix this?

if you need specs of my computer, let me know and I'll provide.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:
Mine connects up via the E17 when I have it docked in the E09K and set in the low bypass mode ( on the side of the E17).

Right now I have just the E17 connected to PC using Toslink. I'll try to have it docked on E09K and then update you on how that goes.

What does the low bypass mode do anyways??

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
It let's you control volume for the E09K dial...just makes it easier...let us know how it goes.

Listening to some music files right now. And there doesn't seem to be any clicking or popping noise.

I guess this would be one solution to getting rid of the noise.
But would this be any less beneficial than using the USB?

Also, it's awesome that I got this issue worked around, but I want to know what might be causing the ticking noise when using the USB....
I want to solve that issue as well..that way I don't have to go out and buy another toslink cable
frown.gif

One I am using now is for my PS

EDIT
What happens if I have the USB plugged into E09K?

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
I have no idea as to the cause, but general consensus is that toslink gives a better, cleaner signal. So it would be the ideal solution, given that it's also getting rid of your issues.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh! well as long as I'm not losing out by using the Toslink instead of USB I'm happy.
I had the E09K USB plugged in but the sound output on my PC was set to toslink so it didn't have any problem.
Thanks for the help!

It's just that now I have a long toslink hanging on top of e17 instead of having USB nice and tucked away in the back.
So visually it's not nearly as awesome, but maybe I'll get used to it.

If there's anyone who know what the heck is up with this USB problem, you are more than willing to let me know.
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back