Closed back headphones for a SE215 (blue edition) user?
Oct 12, 2017 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Maruku

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, to be honest I don't have much knowledge of audio equipment so I'd appreciate some help picking out a pair of headphones that I'll like.

I got my first expensive pair of earphones, a limited edition blue pair of se215s, a good 2 years ago and I've probably listened to them daily ever since. I could never go back to the super cheap ones I'd pick up for as little as £0.99 that would often break within a week!

Blue 215s are better than normal ones but were limited edition. I thought of looking into a pair of headphones for home to try and reduce my constant usage of them. I've tried researching myself but it's difficult to know what headphones I'd like since the 215s allegedly don't have a neutral/flat frequency response, which is what most reviewers seem to look for when determining the best headphones.

I'd say I have a budget up to around £150 (~$200), would like a closed-back pair so I don't blast the rest of my family with it constantly, and I won't be looking for an amplifier for now. A replaceable cable would be really nice so I don't have to worry as much about breaking that.
As for my musical tastes it's quite rare to find something I don't like so it drastically varies from heavy and/or fast electronic/rock/metal all the way to the lofi hip-hop radio streams that have popped up on youtube in the last few months. I'd say I don't really do older and classical stuff, but that's far more a case of momentary preference than specific dislike.

Thanks in advance

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 3
I would recommend that you look seriously at a SoundMAGIC HP151. It is a nicely detailed, smooth headphone that is very nice to listen to. Well-made. Worth a look, for sure. The other one that you might check out is the AKG K553 Pro. It is more mellow sounding than the SoundMAGIC but also quite neutral. Also, worth a peek-see. Lastly, if you can push your budget just a bit, you could get into a MEZE 99 Classics, which is a very fun sounding headphone that is also spectacularly beautiful to look at. A thought, FWIW. YMMV, of course, as always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back