Closed-back headphones up to $1000
Mar 17, 2021 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KaiFi

500+ Head-Fier
My budget in the past tended to be fairly low, but I finally have some flexibility to spend up to around $1000 on a new pair of headphones. My Audioquest NightOwls have served me well over the years but they are starting to fall apart and I've been in the market for a replacement for a while. I'm looking for something that would be on par with the NightOwl or better.

I'm not too picky. What I'm looking for is:
-Closed-back. I live in a loud environment and already have a couple pairs of open-back headphones that I like.
-Don't really care for piercing highs or V-shaped sound signatures. I'm kind of a midhead. Sso many pairs I read reviews of talk of the sparkling treble, the booming bass, and the disappointing mids. Lol. So I specifically don't want that.

That's really it though. I don't care about balanced/unbalanced and comfort isn't too important as I can get used to just about any pair.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 4
You might want to look at Mr Speakers/Dan Clark Audio and also ZMF both have very good closed backs in your price range with the ZMF’s you will have to stretch a bit though. The ZMF’s are 300 ohm dynamics and the DanClarks planars so both would enjoy amplification.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks!

Amplification is not a problem. I mainly listen with a desktop DAC/amp. I've always been interested to try planars. Watching some reviews of the Aeon 2 Closed right now.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks!

Amplification is not a problem. I mainly listen with a desktop DAC/amp. I've always been interested to try planars. Watching some reviews of the Aeon 2 Closed right now.
I second the choice of the A2C for a closed back pair under $1K. I used them as my main portable cans. I do value comfort highly, though. That said, they sound fantastic for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back