Closed Back Recommendation Under 200$?
Oct 4, 2021 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Squish

New Head-Fier
yo

I have a magni/modi stack, a pair of dt 990s and HE400se. I'm looking for a closed back pair of headphones that will scale relatively well with my dac/amp stack.
I've been looking at the dt880s but I'm not sure if I want 2 pairs of beyerdynamics. The massdrop Meze 99 noir has an interesting sound signature but I don't think its worth spending 200$ for headphones I can drive fine with my phone. Currently, my top pick is the Sony MDR7506, they're under 100$ and are 60 ohms, my only issue is the non detachable cable. Do these scale well? Does anyone have any other recommendations for closed backs that will scale well?

Oct 4, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 6
I own the MDR-7506 and the AKG K371 and I think the AKG's are much better. The Sony's tend to sound a bit bright with a somewhat thinned out midrange, relatively speaking.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 6
I own the MDR-7506 and the AKG K371 and I think the AKG's are much better. The Sony's tend to sound a bit bright with a somewhat thinned out midrange, relatively speaking.
I second this. I own the AKG K371 and will keep them as my closed-back for travel and stuff. Dont know about scaling though.
The last time i went to the musicstore to test some headphones i also tried the sony mdr-7506 and was instantly surprised (in a negative way) how elevated the treble was. However i found the bass to be quite good/clean. I didnt have the time to EQ around. But the K371 i think is overall the better headphone.
The DT 770 pro as a closed-back was also very pleasing, even without EQing. Could have easily picked that one instead of the K371, but portability (folding mechanism) from the latter plays a role for me too.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back