Closed back recommendations over HD600
Oct 2, 2022 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pevsfreedom

100+ Head-Fier
I have HD600s and I mostly like them... sort of.

I find them to be a little lacking bass, maybe a bit too mid forward, and a bit too treble-y. I found the soundstage to be kind of.. the three blob thing I've read about. Maybe just certain albums this presents more.

Almost at any volume I get ear ringing from them however, which makes them not too fun.

I need something fully over the ear. I wear glasses. Comfort is #1 over sound.

I think however, for my purposes, I might be better suited for some closed back headphones. I would use them to listen to vinyl records on occasion, but mostly for guitar recording (with a mic) and music recording/editing. Open back is a no-go for that purpose I think, plus all these other issues.

Budget is under $350. I have a S501 amp which will power mostly anything.

Any recommendations? I like neutral for the most part, especially for recording. Less ear fatigue, maybe better sound stage. I tried DT770 80 and 250ohm, hated those. Super V shaped is not my flavor whatsoever.

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 12
Denon D5200 used.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 12
nothin else?

Those look neat-o but I am not seeing in the US for anywhere under like 550-600.

There's one on USAM for $400 now. But if you wait, they come up for $300 once in a while.

Sub $350 new or used, I've not personally heard anything better that would fit what you're asking for.

The HE-R7DX will likely lack the comfort. I've not heard the AKG in that price range. I don't think you'll like the DT1770. E-mu Teak is V shaped with bass emphasis. Same with the Meze 99 Classic.

I'm sure there are other fine options based on your ask, I just don't have the recommendations for you.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 12
Oh! :cry: the title of this thread brings to me some memories with my friend @Kammerat Rebekka and... 50 pages... :beerchug:

Anyway, I was looking for something similar and he recommended to me these headphones at first: Beyer custom one Pro+, Shure SRH 1540... And after that, a wonderful experience with him where we learned a lot of each other:slight_smile:

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 12
Oh! :cry: the title of this thread brings to me some memories with my friend @Kammerat Rebekka and... 50 pages... :beerchug:

Anyway, I was looking for something similar and he recommended to me these headphones at first: Beyer custom one Pro+, Shure SRH 1540... And after that, a wonderful experience with him where we learned a lot of each other:slight_smile:

That all sounds very fun. I assume you stuck with one of those and fell in love forever and are whole heatedly recommending one?

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 12
That all sounds very fun. I assume you stuck with one of those and fell in love forever and are whole heatedly recommending one?
No, I tried other headphones that he recommended to me, like the Shures SRH 840-A. But I didn't like them. Never tried those ones.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 12
The Drop/Beyerdynamic GT 177xGo were just on sale for $350 and they will probably go back on sale if not before Black Friday, then definitely then. There’s also the Meze Audio 99 Classic ($309) or the Drop/Meze collaboration 99 Noir ($200).

You could also get the Focal Elegia for about $400. https://a.co/d/6au5bY8

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 12
You can start in this thread. You can ask there, the people of this thread are very kind (I know most of them). I haven't tried a lot of closed backs.

Some other recommendations that are given to me -in your budget-, are the AKG K371 (which follows the Harman target and cost around 100 €) or the new Beyer 700 Pro X and the EMU Teak.

I have just remember that in 2020 I tried the Beyer DT 150 and I liked them a lot, but I found them a little uncomfortable. But maybe is just me, I usually find most headphones slightly or very uncomfortable, with the exception of the HD 800s (I have somewhat dumbo ears, maybe I can fly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 12
maybe (been a long time since I've used an hd600) a secondhand aeon flow closed w/ the tuning filters in, if you can live with the pad rolling issue

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back