Closed Back with good isolation
Nov 22, 2023 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oknenir

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I am looking for a closed back with good (or at least decent) isolation from the outside noise.

Don't have much heapdhone experience, but I find that planars sound better to me than dynamics, so looking at the following 2 pairs:
  • Meze Liric
  • DCA Aeon 2 closed
Anyone heard both and can describe the difference in sound (and isolation)?

Also, need to have a comfortable fit for long listening sessions (at work) and non-fatiguing sound for the same reason, I am pretty sensitive to the upper-mid region.

Will be powering those with a tube amp most likely.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 10
The Hifiman Sundara closed back is on sale at Amazon for $150. I'd recommend the 7hz Timeless AE if IEMs are something you'd want. The bargain would be the Hyper Cloud Orbit which have Audeze planar drivers and on eBay can go for $100 or less sometimes with the best noise isolation.

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks. Do you think Sundara closed would be on par with the models I'd mentioned sound wise?

I've got the Timeless, I like them, but don't want to use IEMs for a dozen of hours a day.

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 10
The Sundara Closed has pretty terrible isolation, so if that's your priority, I would go for something else.

DCA closed-backs have excellent isolation and are very comfortable. The sound is a bit bright though (I haven't heard the Aeon 2, I've only heard the Noire, but from what I know, DCA headphones all kind of share the same "house sound").

I don't have any experience with the Meze Liric. I'd be curious to know how it compares, though.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't have them, but you should check out enthusiastic reviews of closed-back Sennheisers https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-569-Closed-Headphone/dp/B01L1IIF1A and AKGs. https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-Headphones-K371/dp/B07WZH7WM9 Both are established companies with their reputations in mind.

I have Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X, and they have ample isolation and plush comfort -- comfort is really underrated. These are supposed to be not as treble-peaky as previous Beyers. But with your sensitivity you should look around at pro reviews. I'm enjoying mine, anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 10
The Sundara Closed has pretty terrible isolation, so if that's your priority, I would go for something else.
Yeah, the cups remind me the he-r9 I bought at the recent sale. The pads are the same also. Isolation is close to none. Although I like the sound.

The sound is a bit bright though (I haven't heard the Aeon 2, I've only heard the Noire, but from what I know, DCA headphones all kind of share the same "house sound").
That's good to know. Just looked at a FR graph for Aeon 2 closed and it has that weird 6K hump, I was turning down 5K on LCD-2 closes even when doesn't have a hump in the graphs :)

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 10
Nov 23, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 10
Both are established companies with their reputations in mind.
I have the HD600 which I was not impressed with. Never heard an AKG though, but never considered it seriously for some reason.

Nov 23, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks, might be worth checking out, any ideas how they compare with the above models or Audeze?
Unfortunately I don't have those. I recommend X10 is mainly because I know its high is not harsh at all comparing to my Beyerd T1 v2 I have. Of course the sound quality is nowhere comparable to the latter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back