Closed-ear earphones for a fan of UE TripleFi 10?
Feb 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

escf

New Head-Fier
Hi, Head-Fi folks,

I'm in the market for a pair of closed-ear over-the-ear headphones, with an emphasis on good isolation, low leakage, and comfort, and I hope you can help me pick some. I've worn UE TripleFi 10s for many years and have always preferred them to all other headphones I've ever tried, but they're difficult for me to wear for more than a few hours, and I'm looking for something I can more easily slip on and off.

I'm starting in the $100 range and working my way up to the $400 point; cheaper is desirable both financially and from a theft standpoint. I've extensively listened to the Sennheiser HD 280 and the Audio-Technica M50s. The Sennheisers left me cold, and while I liked the energy and sub-bass of the M50s, they seemed a little off, especially in the higher mids. I was thinking of moving up through the Beyer DT-1350, the Audio Technica ATHESW9A and HE-400s, but I'd prefer a lead on something that matched my taste in headphones to avoid having to audition and return a bunch of them.

Is there a closed-ear headphone in the $100-$400 range that has a sonic signature similar to the UE TripleFi 10s that I should gravitate towards?

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 3
I didn't realize that TF10 was the popular acronym for these. I re-searched, and found a few threads and some good recommendations for open-ear headphones, but very little for closed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 3
The closest Ive found to the TF10 sound sig in a closed headphone was the Pro 750/900 from Ultrasone. They have good soundstage for a closed headphone (much like the TF10 has great soundstage for an IEM), they are comfortable, and do sound very good. They both are bright though and have probably the best bass Ive heard (I prefer very fast tight bass to bloated "sub bass" that others love so much). For me noise isolation was not that great but a lot of people on here do get good isolation. And last they are big headphones, IMO too big to wear as a portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back