Closed grado equivalents
Aug 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 10
Depends on what Grado sound parts you like

Closest: HD598, like Grado with soundstage. I bought them because of this
Close: Beyere DT series, more laid back but same sound
Might be, but nice like Grado: Shure 940. More bass but good and very close to Grado

I chose the HD598 and would like a pair of 940's because of their closeness, but I'm trying to keep the itch off at the moment.

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 10
The Sennheiser HD598 is an open can. Also, it has a very different sound signature - way less treble and way more bass. Frequency graphs over at headroom back this up. The HD598 might not have as much of the Sennheiser veil as some of their other cans, but it still does have the famous Sennheiser house sound.

The DT770 is a good suggestion though, since it does have a Grado-like emphasis on the treble with a big focus on clarity. It does however also have waaay more bass than the typical Grado sound, but then again, nearly every can out there has more bass than a Grado :)

Quote:
Closest: HD598, like Grado with soundstage. I bought them because of this

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 10
sennheiser hd25-1 ii 

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 10
Audio-Technica woody closed headphones share same soundsignature as Grado but less warm n bright like W5000, W1000x, W2000x. Klipsch headphones/IEMs are closed to Grado soundsignature but it's Image ONE is bassheavy, average detailed in term of sound quality, it's warm n offers wide soundstage.

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
The Sennheiser HD598 is an open can. Also, it has a very different sound signature - way less treble and way more bass. Frequency graphs over at headroom back this up. The HD598 might not have as much of the Sennheiser veil as some of their other cans, but it still does have the famous Sennheiser house sound.

The DT770 is a good suggestion though, since it does have a Grado-like emphasis on the treble with a big focus on clarity. It does however also have waaay more bass than the typical Grado sound, but then again, nearly every can out there has more bass than a Grado :)

oops, just caught that the title said Closed not Close to

Quote:
^^ This.

Koss Pro DJ 100 too.

Dj100 would be really nice. Make sure you get some MDR-V6 pads for them

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 10
So I couldn't quite put a finger on why I like the ATH-SJ55 so much... and then I bought a pair of sr60i yesterday out of nostalgia, and realized they sound remarkably similar. Identical Punchy Bass, aggressive forward mid to treble, with a certain je ne sai quoi that makes you want to bob your head and rock out to Muse.

Quote:
^^ This.

Koss Pro DJ 100 too.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
So I couldn't quite put a finger on why I like the ATH-SJ55 so much... and then I bought a pair of sr60i yesterday out of nostalgia, and realized they sound remarkably similar. Identical Punchy Bass, aggressive forward mid to treble, with a certain je ne sai quoi that makes you want to bob your head and rock out to Muse.

A lot of DJ headphones have that. But DJ100's sound extremely close

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 10
FYI I asked the same question on the big advice thread and received the following suggestions so far:

Audio-Technica ATH-ES10
Phiaton MS300

Personally I wanted to check out the new Beyerdynamic T70p or even the Thunderpants cause I want a circumaural can instead of supra-aural like the above two are.

And if you're considering the HD25-1 II then you might want to take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT1350 too. I think it sounds really great all around, but without the peaky treble that Grados are usually known for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back