Closed Headphone to complement my Beyer DT 880PRO
May 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nofuture

New Head-Fier
Hello,

So I have some problems with my neighbor and I'm forced to use headphone to make music. ( Mostly Sound Design, EQing, "Mix", "Mastering")
I have some DT-880PRO but the problem is that I end up almost every time with way to much bass on my sounds.
And there is a lot of noise (car, people from the street) at every hour of the day/night, so open Headphone seems to be not the best solution.

So I decided that I need a closed pair of headphone, obviously I thought about the DT-770PRO which seems to have a "too much bass" response which seems perfect for my neutrality problem and which are closed.

But, a part that, these are the same headphones than the DT-880PRO.

So maybe there could be a better solution to have a equal sound quality but with a different "flavor" to complement my DT-880PRO ?

I was also very attracted by wireless headphone but seems to have a really bad reputation for sound quality from what I've read there and on other website. (EDIT: Any advice on this would be great)

Thanks.

May 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 8
I like the audio quality of my Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, over my DT770s.

May 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 8
  Hello,

So I have some problems with my neighbor and I'm forced to use headphone to make music. ( Mostly Sound Design, EQing, "Mix", "Mastering")
I have some DT-880PRO but the problem is that I end up almost every time with way to much bass on my sounds.
And there is a lot of noise (car, people from the street) at every hour of the day/night, so open Headphone seems to be not the best solution.

So I decided that I need a closed pair of headphone, obviously I thought about the DT-770PRO which seems to have a "too much bass" response which seems perfect for my neutrality problem and which are closed.

But, a part that, these are the same headphones than the DT-880PRO.

So maybe there could be a better solution to have a equal sound quality but with a different "flavor" to complement my DT-880PRO ?

I was also very attracted by wireless headphone but seems to have a really bad reputation for sound quality from what I've read there and on other website. (EDIT: Any advice on this would be great)

Thanks.

DT770's aren't they same as DT880's. They're lower grade headphones in terms of their resolution. Simply put, regardless of sound signatures, they sound like slighlty cheaper headphones, as the DT880's do compared to DT990's (again, sound signatures aside).  They're not quite as clear, detailed or refined as the DT880's.  But to say that DT770's have too much bass would be wrong. Even the 80 ohm version, which is usually refered to as the "bass heavy" DT770 is not exactly bass heavy.  Maybe a bit bass heavy for the audiophile who want's perfect neutrality, but they don't sound like one of those fart canons that turn all the music into a bass heavy mess, they just have a tiny bit more meat in the bottom end, but definitely not basshead levels of low end.   You might wanna test out the DT770's and see how you like them.

Also, wireless headphones have a bad reputation because a lot of people don't have experience with new and good wireless headphones, and usually people make a mistake of comparing them to wired headphones.  People take wireless headphones of a certain price, and they compare it to a wired headphone at the same price....of course the wired one will sound better...once you amp it or use it with a proper source.  But consider the fact that with wireless headphones, you don't just buy headphones, you buy loads of circuitry that in essence act as a headphone amplifier of a sort, and when you consider that, you realize that as a package, some wireless headphones are great value for money.  For example, take the Sennheiser RS160 or 170. They cost about the same as the DT770's for example, or some other closed back headphone in the 200 dollar range.  Do they sound as good? Nope. But they sound as good or better than a 100 dollar headphones used with a 100 dollar dac+amp, or a 200 dollar headphone without an amp working at half potential.   So when looking at a wireless headphone, take the price of that headphone and reduce it by half, then judge the headphone performance.

Also...there's nothing as liberating as having no wires and being able to walk around with headphones. You don't really realize how big of an issue wires are until you use something wireless.

May 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 8
Okay thanks for your input !
I have a lot of time before my decision (account around -XX ...) so I don't know in which direction I'll go, wired or not, closed ones is the only fixed characteristic.

May 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 8
  Okay thanks for your input !
I have a lot of time before my decision (account around -XX ...) so I don't know in which direction I'll go, wired or not, closed ones is the only fixed characteristic.

What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

May 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Only the output of my soundcard (1/4") and very occasionally directly into my synths / modular, but almost never somewhere else than the soundcard.

Which sound card is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back