Closed mid-range portable headphones that sound like Koss PortaPro?
Mar 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Krooser

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I love my the sound of my Koss PortaPros, but I find them flimsy and they block no sound at all, so therefore Im looking for a step-up pair of headphones that would sound similar but have a closed (sound-blocking) design. Portability is still really important to me, Ive been thinking something along the lines of the Bowers & Wilkins P5s, but they are much too expensive for me.

So basically:

- No more than 100 pounds / 150 USD - would happily pay less
- Closed design to keep most noise out (doesn't have to block everything, but enough to work in an airplane)
- Similar sound to PortaPros (I find the bass perfect)
- Portable (foldable cups!).
- Comfortable!!

What would you suggest?

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 13
Look into Incase Pivot. Seriously. I'll be putting up a review about them later, they trash all sub-$75 on-ears. Similar signature to PortaPro, but more equalized.

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 13
All good suggestions, but I still feel like none of them are exactly what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Look into Incase Pivot. Seriously. I'll be putting up a review about them later, they trash all sub-$75 on-ears. Similar signature to PortaPro, but more equalized.

They look almost too light, can't imagine there is much sound isolation either? Looking forward to the review anyway.

Quote:
The V-Moda M80 are close in term of soundsignature and it's built well and also foldable but price maybe little higher than your current budget.

They look cool, but definitely too expensive.

Quote:
Try the Koss UR-55. It's really good for the price.
The DJ100 doesn't sound much like the Porta Pro. Maybe in some areas.

Koss UR-55 would be perfect if they weren't open back... DJ100s don't seem that portable, nor do they have the right sound signature.

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 13
The UR-50 is closed.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 13
NOTHING really tops the Creative Aurvana Live for the price. They're unreasonably good value.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
NOTHING really tops the Creative Aurvana Live for the price. They're unreasonably good value.

They seem fantastic, but apparently they dont fold at all which is going to be a dealbreaker for me :frowning2: 
What is the closest you can get to these but with foldable cups? 

I was looking at AKG 450 as well, but they seem to have mixed reviews?

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 13
I wouldn't go as far as to say they trash all but they sound much better than expected. I really want to read what your thoughts are. I got them at Marshalls for $7. Figured I could use them at work. They are pretty decent and amped with a Fiio E5 are actually pretty good. Very comfortable and really dont leak. They fold flat not compact though. I was looking for something similar to the portas too but haven't found it yet with closed on ears. K81dj is what i got in the end. Best Buy has them online now for $33.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 13
I've narrowed it down to these headphones now:

- Denon AH D1100

- AKG K518

- Creative Aurvana Live

- Audio Technica ATH-WS55

How would you guys rate these for portability, comfort and sound? I can get them all for the same price at Amazon, so cost doesn't matter. Lastly, which pair would YOU pick?

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 13
Just FYI K518 and k81dj are the same except for color options. So if you go that route like I said before BB has em for 33 and amazon has em at the moment for 49.

But a side note. A lot of people have issues with clamping force.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Just FYI K518 and k81dj are the same except for color options. So if you go that route like I said before BB has em for 33 and amazon has em at the moment for 49.

But a side note. A lot of people have issues with clamping force.

That is my main worry, especially since I'm coming from the PortaPros which are very comfy.

Has anyone tried the RHA SA950i or Klipsch Image One ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back