Closest thing to Grado Black Star (Pink) Drivers?
Feb 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mlantinen

Member of the Trade: Martin Custom Audio
So I'm borrowing a pair of SR-200's with the pink drivers from a co-worker and I've really fallen in love with them.  Paired with my Leben, they keep blowing me away on the high end clarity and super clean bass impact.  Just loving them. 

Can I please get some opinions on what models may be the next closest thing to them signature wise? 

On a side-note, my co-worker bought them in the eighties and thought they were just a regular pair of run-of-the-mill headphones until I informed him of their rarity. 
tongue.gif
  He was pleasantly shocked.  He's a big speaker guy so he rarely dabbles in the headphone world.

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
So I'm borrowing a pair of SR-200's with the pink drivers from a co-worker and I've really fallen in love with them.  Paired with my Leben, they keep blowing me away on the high end clarity and super clean bass impact.  Just loving them. 

Can I please get some opinions on what models may be the next closest thing to them signature wise? 

On a side-note, my co-worker bought them in the eighties and thought they were just a regular pair of run-of-the-mill headphones until I informed him of their rarity. 
tongue.gif
  He was pleasantly shocked.  He's a big speaker guy so he rarely dabbles in the headphone world.

Thanks!

If the drivers are pink, they don't have the black stars. The ones with the black stars are the HP1000 drivers.
HP1000 or SR100 would be close to them signature wise.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Whoa!  I totally thought they were the same thing just different terms to describe the same driver.  So the pink drivers aren't the "good" ones?

So anyone know which models the pink drivers can be found? 

SR100's are vintage aren't they?

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Whoa!  I totally thought they were the same thing just different terms to describe the same driver.  So the pink drivers aren't the "good" ones?

So anyone know which models the pink drivers can be found? 

SR100's are vintage aren't they?

They are both good. Some early SR100, 200, 300 and 325 have the HP1000 drivers. That was in the beginning of John Grado's era when he didn't have his own drivers and had to use the HP1000 ones.
The pink drivers can be found on vintage RS1s and all the early Prestige series Grados. I believe they started off being white or black and the material turned pink after being used. The early Grados in general have a smoother sound signature compared to the newer Grados.
SR100, 200 and 300 were the first generation Prestige series. They became 125, 225 and 325 later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back