CMoy based preamp for home stereo?
Aug 17, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanderx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use separate op-amps instead of a dual. Pay attention to temperature coefficents when selecting components, esp from different manufacturers. Use bandwidth limiting caps in the feedback loop. Use good decoupling caps (more importantly, have them). If you haven't, consider the use of trimpots / caps to get the best possible tracking between the channels. Don't overdo the PSU.

There is a fair bit of difference between CMOY's, yours seems to be a fairly basic one.

My plan was to build kind of a "super cmoy", which in my head would be a dual mono construction, reasonable power supply (possibly dual mono), "better than normal" feedback loop and of course fine decoupling caps.

What do you mean with not overdoing the PSU? Don't complicate it, don't oversize it or both?

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 21
Thanks, that was quite a good read. I have bookmarked it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannevond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My plan was to build kind of a "super cmoy", which in my head would be a dual mono construction, reasonable power supply (possibly dual mono), "better than normal" feedback loop and of course fine decoupling caps.

What do you mean with not overdoing the PSU? Don't complicate it, don't oversize it or both?

Both, cmoy is a fairly simle amp, don make it be all psu.

Oh, and keep us posted on what you did and where you got with this.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 21
I haven't made much progress other than getting me an old CD player to put everything in. Contemplating reusing parts of it like the AC to DC part of the psu, but I have to measure it and see how much noise it puts out. I'll probably make the front plate from wood. Looks good and is by far the easiest material to work with.

For the portable amp, I made a small battery snap adapter so that I can connect 2 9V batteries in series and connect it to the 9V snap. Increasing the voltage made quite a big difference. It controls my DT 770s (32 Ohm) much better now. Noticeable change when I use it as a preamp in the living room too. I also changed the caps to 470 uF 25V in place of the 16V caps that were in it from before.

I have switched a lot between the AD823 and the AD8620 opamps. The 823 seems to sound better for preamp purposes, 8620 for cans. I guess I know what to put in the preamp.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll post updates and possibly a worklog when I start building the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back