CMOY Help
Jan 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Arboginge911

100+ Head-Fier
So I want to build a cmoy amp. 
I have little to no experience in regards to electronics, but I do know how to solder as I have modded my Grado sr80i's.
I realize the amp is not necessary for these cans but I still want to make one, just for kicks.
Besides the usual 'read the website, read the tutorials' etc, does anyone else have any first hand suggestions as to how I should go about making this? I.E Parts to buy, cautionary steps etc. 
Thanks so much! I appreciate the help. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 4
The easy start is to get the cmoyBB's PCB from JDS Labs and begin from there.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 4
I would recommend buying a bread board and hooking it all up so that you get the basics of how it works. Also, if you don't currently own a soldering iron and you're never going to solder a thing after this project; than it's not worth the money when you can buy them on ebay for $30.

All the parts will set you back $15-$30 depending on where you get them add $15 for a cheap Weller soldering iron from home depot, add another $4 for a decent sized soldering tip, add $6-$20 for helping hands, add $2-$7 for solder and it all adds up to Waaaay more than simply buying one that is pretty much gaurenteed to work.

Now if you already have most of that stuff, and I did not scare you off, like I first suggested, buy a bread board, assemble it on that first, just to get a feel for the electronics and assembly. Then make a few button-cell led flash lights to get the hang of soldering. Then when you're comfortable, take it one step at a time, and start placing and soldering the CMoy.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
The easy start is to get the cmoyBB's PCB from JDS Labs and begin from there.

CmoyBB from JDS labs innards picture looks good and very tidy assemble . They use PCB instead of Proto boards. I bought 2 Cmoy from Juice2214, I do not like the innards look but they sound damned good for $34.00 a piece. No hissing, no static scratchy volum pot.
Love the price/performance ratio factor and the SQ.

I wish JDlabs has more tin case selection but no Black Penguin tin case so I go for Juice2214 and I am very happy with what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back