coffee-fi
Oct 23, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #406 of 425
I think profitec has a great bang for the buck. But to be honest, the rocket appartamento is amazing for it‘s pricepoint (if you can live without pid and a very small drip tray, you can change the plastic cup frame): it costs 1000 bucks in switzerland, don‘t know if you can get a better machine for that pricepoint…

I think a PID is essential in getting consistent shots but I know the Rocket machines have a lot of fans.

but to your point, you‘re right, it‘s not like everybody needs a dual boiler system and it may have relevant disadvantages in comparison to a heat exchanger.

what are you thinking to upgrade to? the flagship machines are often to big for me... a friend bought a dalla corte studio, super expensive, but a great machine…
Yeah, I don't have so much space for it either and the ECM is way heavy and came in a gigantic box that takes up space in my storage room.

Probably La Marzocca but I have a few years to decide. And I have my eye on the Ceado but I really don't need it.

Oct 23, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #407 of 425
I think a PID is essential in getting consistent shots but I know the Rocket machines have a lot of fans.

Yeah, I don't have so much space for it either and the ECM is way heavy and came in a gigantic box that takes up space in my storage room.

Probably La Marzocca but I have a few years to decide. And I have my eye on the Ceado but I really don't need it.

to be honest, i tried espressos out of machines with and without pid and i couldn‘t really tell the difference… but anyway, i‘m still working on the perfect extraction. just bought a bottomless portafilter and it was very revealing to say the least…. la marzocco gs3 would be my dream, but definitly can‘t justify the cost… would love to have a machine with a rotatory pump, just think it sounds so smooth… have a look at dalla corte, also expensive but smaller than marzocco. Ceado only make grinders no?

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #408 of 425
to be honest, i tried espressos out of machines with and without pid and i couldn‘t really tell the difference… but anyway, i‘m still working on the perfect extraction. just bought a bottomless portafilter and it was very revealing to say the least…. la marzocco gs3 would be my dream, but definitly can‘t justify the cost… would love to have a machine with a rotatory pump, just think it sounds so smooth… have a look at dalla corte, also expensive but smaller than marzocco. Ceado only make grinders no?
Espresso is about pressure, temperature, and time. So the PID is critical. But unless everything else is perfect you have to eliminate all the variables to notice it.

Yeah, I meant if I buy a new machine and also a new grinder.

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #409 of 425
Here's my setup,
IMG_20220607_070445_236.jpg

ACS Evo lever dual doiler, mazzer major with SSP burrs 83mm and a niche zero.

In terms of machines dual boilers offer a temp stability that no hx can match.

Piss are important too, don't forget with a dual boiler you can turn the steam boiler off, I've had hx machines in the past and they can swing quite alot

Water wise make your own and you will never have to descale 😁😁😁

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #413 of 425
Here's my setup:

ECM Technika V Profi PID
VST 20g competition basket
Eureka Specialita (zero retention, perfect for single-dosing)
ECM tamping stand
Asso leveler
generic dosing cup and grain spoon
Felicita scale (after hating many scales found one that I love. Battery charge lasts forever and it's perfectly repeatable)
The usual brushes, tool, towels etc.

I have ECM branded espresso and cappucino cups but also some house brand and Loveramics cups for cappucino, latte, Americano etc. (not shown)

1667911148843.png

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #415 of 425
just in case somebody wants to start home roasting on the cheap.....

you can use a Klarstein vitair air fryer, currently $40~60 on ebay or amazon. I am talking about the type that looks like a huge space helmet. There is no plastic parts in the "hot chamber", the inner dome is thick glass and the removable bottom pan is sheet steel, so this thing can handle the roasting temperature.

Drum rotation speed is not adjustable, ~2RPM, not great but at least there is some rotation.

Just set to 450F and preheat and load the drum and roast away. batch size is small, only 1/4~1/3LB each run. With 1/3LB of Ethiopian beans, the first crack usually happens around 10 min and I end it around 13 min for a medium roast.
The evenness is surprisingly good.
This is probably considered as "air roasting with (some) drum agitation".

The only down side is.... the thermal fuse inside is a 157C/15A, so two batches back-to-back is about the max without popping this fuse. And this fuse is bolted above the halogen lamp plate, it is a real pain to replace. I just changed one to a 200C/15A.

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0920c.jpg

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #417 of 425
Cheap home roasting: for 25 years been roasting my own in a pop corn popper. Important to note that if the innards are plastic it won’t work. Got a friend that has spent thousands on 3 of the during the same time frame and they all died. He could get big batches true. I only make 3 days ahead. Not pretty but as an engineer/hacker it’s priceless to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0955.jpeg
    IMG_0955.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0956.jpeg
    IMG_0956.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 24, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #418 of 425
My Technovorm Moccamaster (Clement Design) maybe 25 years old. Probably over 10k brews and still putting out damn fine drip. Had a Pavoni and a Rocket both rusted out in a landfill someplace.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpeg
    IMG_0959.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #419 of 425
Here's my setup,

ACS Evo lever dual doiler, mazzer major with SSP burrs 83mm and a niche zero.

In terms of machines dual boilers offer a temp stability that no hx can match.

Piss are important too, don't forget with a dual boiler you can turn the steam boiler off, I've had hx machines in the past and they can swing quite alot

Water wise make your own and you will never have to descale 😁😁😁
yo, that is one nice manual lever machine...I am going to get this acs down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back